Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Nitto 555 G2 tire review after 2 seasons [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nitto 555 G2 tire review after 2 seasons

Goldenpony
09-14-2017, 10:53 PM
I was lucky enough to get chosen to try out a set of Nitto 555 G2 tires (for free). All I had to pay for was the mounting & balancing.
I was replacing a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my 2006 Mustang GT convertible. Ok, the first season, I was pretty impressed-more so than I expected to be. I have always been a fan of Michelin. In virtually all areas, the Nittos were fantastic. Drove them until cold weather and switched to my winter tires.
OK, this spring switched back to the Nittos. About half way through the summer I noticed that even though the tread looked great, I was having traction problems. Taking off from a stop on dry pavement, they were easy to lose traction. Turning a corner and hitting the gas, the rear wants to fishtail on me. Taking off from a stop, it's really east to "get rubber" in the first 3 gears. In wet weather, they are down right scary.
As cold weather approaches, I will soon be going back to the winter tires. I am actually looking forward to this change.
Since the tread still looks good, and I am retired so I am not swimming in money, I will probably put the Nittos back on next spring as the weather gets warm again. I will try to get one more summer out of them, but after that, regardless of how good the tread looks-it's back to the Michelins.
It's a shame, these tires look good, handle fairly well and are quiet, but I don't trust them any more. I appreciate being able to try out a new tire for free, but I will definitely be going back to Michelin after next summer.
Take this review for what's worth. Not trying to beat up on Nitto, just trying to give an honest review.

Rick93coupe
09-15-2017, 07:17 AM
That's good info to have. When you are paying for tires that are supposed to provide better traction, you would sure like to get more than 1 summer out of them.

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2017, 08:53 AM
To put this into perspective I feel it fair (to all the tire makers) to supply pricing - based on a 305/30/20 The following is a price breakdown: (discount tire direct is the price source)

Nitto - 555 G2 - $259.00 (the NT05 series, not a 555 G2 run $348)
Pirelli- P zero - start at $356.00 and go up to $614.00 (depending which series of P-zero)
Michelin Pilot - start at $409.00 and go up to $528 (depending on which Pilot series)

I would not expect a Nitto to hold up as well as a higher priced higher line of tire. I would expect it to hold its own with tires within it's own realm of pricing however. The 555 G2's on my car (only 540 to the ground) are doing well for their first year. I expect they will fade come next season as well. Had I paid $400 a piece for them and they faded at the end of the second season I would be pretty pissed off about it. Comparing them to other comparable tires in their class would be a more suiting test IMHO. Otherwise I see comparing a NItto to a Pirelli or Michelin like comparing a Mustang to a Veyron.

Rick93coupe
09-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Is the tread wear rating similar between the nitto tires and the other ones mentioned? I assumed the nitto was a softer compound and would have reduced life compared to a Michelin or Pirelli.

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2017, 12:50 PM
The G2 has a tread wear rating of 320 - Traction AA - Temp A

Pilot Sports are rated at 300-AA-A and up to 320-AA-A depending on type and depth of pocketbook.