Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Home Phone...... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Phone......

mustang8998
09-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Who's got em, who doesn't?

Tell me why I need it any more.

I'm through with TWC. Have the TV, phone and internet with them and it is astronomical. Thinking about keeping just internet (fastest thing in my area, AFAIK) and getting Direct TV. I tried trimming the cable service to the bare bone and dropping the phone and was going to be even more money. I don't need movie channels, but like having the DVR (and TWC's suck...no room, 2 shows at a time, IF you're watching one of them), so just want basic HD service, with DVR and believe this is the cheapest way to go.

Thoughts?

bbfstanger
09-23-2014, 09:10 PM
im in the same boat,except i dont have a cell.
twc is $180ish for my bundle lol!
im thinkin of going with dish for awhile ,til the promo is over anyways.
get a cell $40 and keep the interweb for $15.

redfirepearlgt
09-23-2014, 09:15 PM
I hear ya Jeff. TWC has gotten out of hand. Just went up again on our bill. If it wasn't for my wife fighting me on the matter I would have already dumped the phone. I looked into going CBT on my phone with a base local line and High speed internet and there wasn't much savings from that angle either.

I see no reason for that phone, but my wife wants it so we have it. Good luck.

89notch
09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I use magic jack. $20 a year works exactly like twc phone.

89notch
09-23-2014, 09:20 PM
The only reason I even have it is a fax line and alarm system.

mustang_gt88
09-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I use Netflix, hulu, and amazon, no home phone

Rick93coupe
09-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm stuck in the TWC bundle too, it's cheaper to have home phone even if you don't use it. When I worked for the phone company and switched people to AT&T Uverse, a common theme was that satellite sucks, So I've never given it much thought. I'd say I spend as much time watching Netflix as regular TV but I do rely on the DVR.

mustang8998
09-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Chad, I'm lucky, in that my wife is all for losing the house phone....like Rick said, it's cheaper to keep it. It is cheaper, if I just gat rid of the whole thing.

We have also started using Netflix, but we do watch a lot of regular TV. I looked into fiber-optics, but it isn't available here, so I'm thinking DTV is the way to go.

Gearhead
09-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Who's got em, who doesn't?

Tell me why I need it any more.

I'm through with TWC. Have the TV, phone and internet with them and it is astronomical. Thinking about keeping just internet (fastest thing in my area, AFAIK) and getting Direct TV. I tried trimming the cable service to the bare bone and dropping the phone and was going to be even more money. I don't need movie channels, but like having the DVR (and TWC's suck...no room, 2 shows at a time, IF you're watching one of them), so just want basic HD service, with DVR and believe this is the cheapest way to go.

Thoughts?

Do you have Cinti Bell Fioptics in your area ? We have a decent package from them,that only runs us $125/ month. Includes home phone, loads of cable channels I don't watch, DVR and all that.
It's more for the wife than me, I don't watch much of the TV. Also, I was able to haggle with them on the monthly price. I'm sure it will probably go up in the next year though....

mustang8998
09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
I checked and it isn't available.....I also feel that $125 is too much, but it is way less than what I pay now.

Anyone have DirecTV , that is not in the promotional deal? Would like to know the regular rate.

redfirepearlgt
09-24-2014, 01:53 PM
I was really hoping that with CBT Fiop in the area now along side TWC they would negotiate to keep a loyal client. I tried the "I'm changing to CBT but want to stay with you so what will you do for me angle and they told me they would do nothing. And I'm not interested in bouncing back and forth on promos every year either. Too much hassle.

devous1
09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm not in the same area as you guys, I keep my ATT home line for one my alarm reports off it, two they pay me most of my income so I feel loyal to them and last when there is an emergency in the area cell phones suck, you are much better off trying to connect with a landline. Both TWC and ATT are doing massive upgrades right now in fact we were around the Dayton area today working in a few remote huts doing upgrades for TWC.

I also agree that the bills are getting crazy but also realize the massive amounts of money that has to be invested everytime there is an upgrade to a network. I just work on support systems, DC power and battery supplies and the amounts of money ATT spends on batteries alone each year could fund a small country.

I use Netflix a lot also, for $8 a month there is a lot to watch plus you can watch on your laptop away from home. If you like documentaries its great.

Blackout
09-25-2014, 05:43 AM
I was in the same boat as the rest of the twc bundlers. I cut out cable and phone and increased my internet speeds to thier 30mb/s offer. Its costibg me roughly $60 and i bought an antenna and subscription to netflix. I have never looked back. I basically cut $100 off my monthly bill.

mustang8998
09-25-2014, 06:25 AM
I'm not in the same area as you guys, I keep my ATT home line for one my alarm reports off it, two they pay me most of my income so I feel loyal to them and last when there is an emergency in the area cell phones suck, you are much better off trying to connect with a landline. Both TWC and ATT are doing massive upgrades right now in fact we were around the Dayton area today working in a few remote huts doing upgrades for TWC.

I also agree that the bills are getting crazy but also realize the massive amounts of money that has to be invested everytime there is an upgrade to a network. I just work on support systems, DC power and battery supplies and the amounts of money ATT spends on batteries alone each year could fund a small country.

I use Netflix a lot also, for $8 a month there is a lot to watch plus you can watch on your laptop away from home. If you like documentaries its great.

I already feed AT&T every month, with 2 smart phones.

mustang8998
09-25-2014, 06:28 AM
I was in the same boat as the rest of the twc bundlers. I cut out cable and phone and increased my internet speeds to thier 30mb/s offer. Its costibg me roughly $60 and i bought an antenna and subscription to netflix. I have never looked back. I basically cut $100 off my monthly bill.

I don't get good enough reception, with an antenna and like I said, use the DVR a lot. We have Netflix for movies, though.

Blackout
09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
DVR should be the only real issue. Antennas are like anything else, you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap $15 antenna and it wouldn't pick up anything. I then out frustration bought the $50 one and I get a ton of channels. Good luck with what ever you decide.

mustangjon
09-25-2014, 03:09 PM
First year direct tv Cincy bell combo is like 100 a month with genie then jumps to 135 2nd year. That's what I use. Same thing with net at my house since I live down street from you lol.

I'll prolly switch to dish next year and play the 2 year flop for the pricing

devous1
09-28-2014, 08:22 PM
TW has been playing Elf all fucking summer and its on again tonight on CMT?

Jeff88coupe
09-29-2014, 09:50 AM
We haven't had a home phone hard line since we moved to our new house about a year ago. Cin Bell FiOP's for our TV and internet, ATT security system uses cell....very happy with both services.

mustang8998
09-29-2014, 12:11 PM
TW has been playing Elf all fucking summer and its on again tonight on CMT?

Hmmmm....I don't think TWC has anything to do, with programming.

devous1
09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I know, there just never seems to be shit on. I normally end up watching Netflix or old shit off youtube.

pegasus
09-29-2014, 02:14 PM
whats a home phone? i think my grandma had one... SRY we got rid of ours and where using just cell phones for everything untill grandma came to live with us (life alert has to be connected to a land line)

Blkcobra01
09-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Try calling TWC and threaten to cancel say you got better rates with Uverse or Dish I've done this before or tell them you do not need them and you can live with out them just to much for your budget this has worked for me in lowering my bill good luck.

mustang8998
09-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Talked to DTV yesterday. Looks like their $19.99 a month deal, is about $52.00 after all the add ons. Goes up to $87.00 after the promo ends. Still cheaper than TWC and I like the way their DVR works.

Blkcobra01, I've done the whole "I can get it cheaper" game several times....I can get it lowered, but never to the "new customer" rate. I just get a little pissed, when I have been a loyal customer, for so long and they just take advantage it.

redfirepearlgt
09-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Talked to DTV yesterday. Looks like their $19.99 a month deal, is about $52.00 after all the add ons. Goes up to $87.00 after the promo ends. Still cheaper than TWC and I like the way their DVR works.

Blkcobra01, I've done the whole "I can get it cheaper" game several times....I can get it lowered, but never to the "new customer" rate. I just get a little pissed, when I have been a loyal customer, for so long and they just take advantage it.

Same here. However the last time I called and told TWC I was thinking of going to move to CBT Fiop and asked them what they would do to keep my business they all but wished me luck. Not so much as a lifted finger for an 8+ year loyal client. I was hoping that some competition would start a price war. But apparently there is no threat felt by TWC with CBT being in our area.

Blackout
09-30-2014, 07:05 AM
If you call there bluff and take thier junk back, they will call you wondering why.

What happened to me was i went into the TW store by the dayton mall to pay my bill, i asked the teller if there were any better deals or specials going on. Well I pretty much got told (rude and obnoxiously) that if i didn't like my rates then i could just cancel my service and bring the stuff back. So I did.

I later get a call that evening from there Customer Service dept. from corporate. They wanted to know why I cancelled. After I told them what happened they adjusted & locked the price (cheaper than I had before) for 2 years and also had a local installer come out at 9 o'clock that night to rehook it all back up.

mustang8998
10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm making the switch. I'll save about $70 a month for now. DTV was about $10-15 cheaper a month than TWC even after they discounted my plan and I believe DTV has the better DVR package.

mustang8998
10-02-2014, 09:57 AM
BTW....thanks for everyone's input.

Black92LX
10-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I dumped cable a few years back. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime.
I have magicjack for a home phone for 2 reasons.

Phone number to give to companies, like the bank, insurance, etc. don't want them bothering me on my cellphone. But most importantly 911. In case there is an emergency at the house just dial 911 and they nowhere to come. No waiting for them to try to figure out where the cell call is coming from.

NXcoupe
10-03-2014, 10:34 AM
We are getting hosed by TWC as well. Wife needs to call and get something done or cancel it, it's in her name so I'm at her mercy. We have a home phone through our sprint bundle. It sucks, but it works most of the time.

4n_eatr
10-03-2014, 12:01 PM
For any football fans, I just got DTV for $75 a month and free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2 years. plus $50 a month for TWC Internet so I'm right about $125 or so for internet and TV. Even the "new customer" rate for TWC for just those two was $150 and some change. I've always had horrible customer service with TWC so I was hesitant to even get internet but it's been decent so far.

mustang8998
10-04-2014, 04:07 PM
You did the same thing I did. I too, have had bad experience with TWC customer service and problems with the box and buried cable. Always a hassle to get resolved. I'm keeping the internet service, as it is the best in my area.

devous1
10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
What issues are you guys having with weather? The last time I had a dish it sucked when there was any type of weather.

4n_eatr
10-05-2014, 08:26 PM
A guy in my unit worked for AT&T in the tech department and he said the only difference in Cable vs Sat in inclimate weather is snow. Att and TWC both use satellites, but they're just at the main hub instead of the owners house, so if it snows they have people to go out and clean off any build up. I found this out after asking him why my TWC went out more than my DTV. Pretty much if it's sunny where you are and thunderstorms where the hub is you can lose service. I've had no issues so far with my DTV service. *knock on wood*

devous1
10-05-2014, 09:19 PM
As far as I know that is completely wrong. I do work for both and have been in hundreds if not over a thousand ATT sites and quite a few TWC sites as well as Frontier, Verizon Cincy Bell etc. The only real satellite installations Ive ever seen for
ATT were close to the East Coast and were originally for Govt use. Around 2000 I actually installed the DC power plant that feeds the Central Ohio Uverse system on Indianola in Columbus and helped install the one for Dayton in Centerville. I don't know how all the transmission works but I do believe there is a big difference between the two systems. However once DTV and ATT merge who knows how things will go?

4n_eatr
10-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Knowing him, he could have been blowing smoke up my ass lol. From personal experience I've had DTV twice and TWC once and overall I've had more consistent service with DTV.

devous1
10-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm comparing packages, TWC is my only internet option. Uverse wont come this far out in the country.

Do you guys get Fox Sports 1 and is it anything like Speed used to be? Also did that StangTV channel ever get off the ground or is it just a web site?

mustangjon
10-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Fox sports one doesn't do cars mavtv for that. Weather isn't bad only a few heavy rain storms have briefly interrupted in 2 yrs service at 2 seperate houses. Snow never really gave issue. If u let it stick to dish it can but clean dish. Hose off snow off need be

Goldenpony
10-24-2014, 10:16 PM
I still have a Cincy Bell land Line at home, along with High Speed Internet. Not sure why.

mustang8998
07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Okay, so not even a year in and switching again. DTV customer service stinks. If there is a cloud in the sky, we lose reception. I've called the tech line and they refuse to send someone to check things out. Then, to put the nail in the coffin, the receiver went out this morning and they ship a new one to the house. That is just plain unexeptable, for the price you pay.

So, now Fioptics is available and I'm going to give it a shot.

Goldenpony
07-22-2015, 05:06 PM
My wife And i do watch a good bit of TV. I have had both Dish & Direct TV in the past and I didn't like either of them. As much as I hate what TWC charges, I have to say I do like the service and features I get with them. I can't get FiOptics in my location, but I am interested in it when it becomes available. I have heard that there are 2 FiOptics installations, the REAL FiOptics, and you micht say FiOptics "Light". The second one, as I have heard, sucks. My son had FiOptics, got it on a promo and hated it. When the promo was up, he went back to TWC.
Haven't decided which way to go. I have heard that your computer becomes amazingly fast with FiOptics, but the TV part isn't that great. Might just bite the bullitt and stay with TWC,

donna
07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Mike and I have TWC. Hate it with a passion. Always going up. Looking into some other options. Just not sure as to what yet.

IWRBB
07-24-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm at $60 a month for TWC 15 MB internet and home phone. Cut my old Cin Bell bill in half. If you aren;t a new customer, you get screwed. I left my fiber line from Cin Bell into the house intact, so I can just switch back and forth between CBT and TWC every few years to get the good rates. I don't use any of their email services to there's nothing tying me to either company.

IWRBB
07-24-2015, 08:22 AM
I have heard that there are 2 FiOptics installations, the REAL FiOptics, and you micht say FiOptics "Light". The second one, as I have heard, sucks.

The "real" is fiber into the home, which is what I had. It was awesome internet service. It was- until CBT offered to lower my rate when I complained it was too expensive to a guy who called and tried to sell my their TV service. That led to the service being cut off, my emails addresses being cancelled. It was just an massive display of a COMPLETE lack of competence in their company from the top to the bottom. CBT has NO CLUE what the hell is going on. Great hardware, but horrible behind the scenes tech support.

The "lite" is fiber to the neighborhood entrance, then they use high speed DSL over copper to the houses. Yea, I've heard it's not very good.

I don't do TV from either one. We have Dish. Their hardware blows everything else out of the water. Granted, Direct does have a slightly higher resolution they send over the sats.

96GTAnthony
07-24-2015, 08:45 AM
I have dish. I like the customer service my two year contract is almost up its 79 bucks a month for i think the 120 channel package and we do that whole sign someone up and get i think bucks a person up to 5 people and we have only had to pay the 79 bucks maybe three times its nice to have the chance to save twenty bucks every month but when we have to pay full price we just call and talk to there "special price department" and they will lock you in to 15 bucks cheaper for three months which is more than enough time to find some people who want to switch to dish. for internet i use the lowest twc internet they have to offer and i can stream netflix play games online and everything with no issue as long as the wife or I arent surfing the internet on our phones then it tends to run slow. as for weather only had a few issues when it pours down rain and bad storms but the snow has never affected it at all. (i say that and this year wont be able to watch tv at all) we can record up to three shows on the hopper and three other shows on a joey in one of the rooms if need be. JMO. :)

mustang8998
08-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Now I'm starting to think I made a mistake, going with CB. Having issues with playback on recordings and they have tried rebooting the box and router to no avail. They need to send out a tech.....on the 19th! Nine freaking days to get a tech out here (called on the 10th). I don't like how it shuts off after 4 hours, the remotes are "glitch" and they still haven't buried the damned cable. TWC may just get my business back.