Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Removal of BADGE EMBLEMS... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Removal of BADGE EMBLEMS...

redfirepearlgt
06-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Just bought gloss black 5.0 emblems to replace the chrome ones with. Could anyone body work experienced tell me the best way to remove the old ones and what to use specifically (brand and type) to remove the adhesive that remains on the paint. I've observed on youtube videos everything from using a wide blade putty knife to fishing line and/or dental floss to get the emblem off and then an unknown adhesive remover (they never seem to tell you brand and type) to clean and prep the surface for the new badges.

Thanks.

mustangjon
06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Wax and grease remover is paint safest for cleaning don't use putty knife. Plastic is your friend

CNTLOSE
06-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Piano wire to remove them. Any residue left can be removed easily with a decal remover that attaches to the end of a drill. (It is essentially a big pencil eraser.) Best thing I have every used when removing decals off cruisers, and will not harm the paint.

redfirepearlgt
06-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Piano wire to remove them. Any residue left can be removed easily with a decal remover that attaches to the end of a drill. (It is essentially a big pencil eraser.) Best thing I have every used when removing decals off cruisers, and will not harm the paint.

Cool. Where can I get these items? Would Wilcox paint supply in Sharonville carry them? Thanks.

Stangman
06-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Dont use anything that will scrape your paint. Use a hair dryer to heat up the glue and lift it off with your fingers. A hair dryer will get it warm and let you lift it off the paint a lot easier than no heat at all. A legit heat gun will also work but unless youve messed with a heat gun before, I wouldnt recommend it... you camp out on that emblem and the paint, you'll be heading to the body shop as well for a touch up :lol:

Then, as stated, wax and grease remover, or lacquer thinner.

redfirepearlgt
06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
^^^ Thanks jess. I'm familiar with heat guns. I will use a dryer though because I've only used heat guns for doing heat shrink and putting down lenoleum (sp) in the Navy.

CNTLOSE
06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Probably, I buy mine at Smyth Automotive. Most paint and body supply shops should carry them. The piano wire I have I ordered off Amazon for a couple bucks.

chris91
06-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Rubbing Alcohol seems to do the trick as well on the adhesive.

redfirepearlgt
06-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Probably, I buy mine at Smyth Automotive. Most paint and body supply shops should carry them. The piano wire I have I ordered off Amazon for a couple bucks.

Thanks. I'll check out the one in Springdale on Rt 4.

Rubbing Alcohol seems to do the trick as well on the adhesive.

I'll give that a try Chris.

Thanks everyone I'm good to go. Will use the hairdryer to get the tape to soften up and then use a piece of fishing line if need be to get it off followed by degreaser and/or rubbing alcohol.

chris91
06-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Wonder how a mixture of Degreaser and Alcohol would work.... lol

kennytent
06-27-2014, 12:57 AM
We use fishing line, generally tied around a couple pieces of wooden dowel, or a couple of nuts (the stuff is pretty rough on the hands).

Not much need to heat it, especially with it being fairly warm.

Then eraser wheel the residue. The wheels work great, but I don't use too much pressure on them, especially on black cars, just let the wheel do the work.

Then use Sem brand Sem-solve (many companies offer decent adhesive removers).

I always like to wipe down with alcohol, before re-applying, because the adhesive removers seem to leave a little slick or greasy residue.

If the lettering is individual, and not pinned, I'll usually run a line of masking tape under the factory lettering, to give you a straight line, and place to mark the letter spacing, before removing.

You should be able to pick up everything, but the fishing line, at any of the better automotive paint supply stores.

maverick
06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
I use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, it is made for automotive finishes. KOI auto parts paint division sells it. They sell the eraser wheel as well

redfirepearlgt
06-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I'll swing by KOI Saturday over in Sharonville. I think that's the closest auto paint place to me.

I really appreciate everyone's time. Thanks.

maverick
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Here is a link to the 3M product for information http://3mcollision.com/3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-08984.html

redfirepearlgt
06-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks Mav!

maverick
06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
^ Anything for a fellow StangBanger

Black Horse
06-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Hairdryer or heat gun to soften the backing and pull the old. Goo-gone or other citrus based cleaners work well on the residue.

redfirepearlgt
06-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks everyone. The hairdryer trick worked great. Used an all plastic/rubber 3 inch scraper to lift the emblems. Maverick that 3M adhesive cleaner worked great. I found it in the pint can for $21. dag! So a little more searching found me some of that 3M adhesive remover in aerosol form for $7. Worked out great. THE STINKING GLOSS BLACK BADGES ARE ON AND LOOK NICE.

Thanks guys. :bigthumb

2Fast4You
07-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Lets see a photo...

redfirepearlgt
07-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Will get one up soon. Never even thought about it as subtle a change as it is.