Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Do something great this weekend [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do something great this weekend

Goober
05-25-2014, 08:17 PM
... today while eating with my family at Texas Roadhouse, I noticed several veterans come in to enjoy lunch with their respective families. One such vet struck me: it looked as if they live on a lower than normal income, possibly adopted a child or two. He also appeared to have some difficulty getting around (leg braces). So at the end of my meal, as everyone in my party walked out, I approached him, shook his hand and stated that I wanted to pay for his meal as a thank you for his service, and laid a 20 in his hand.

Paying it forward, one random act of kindness at a time.

keeping calm and chiving on!

redfirepearlgt
05-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Goober - Good on YA! This prior service enlisted man thanks you for doing that.

My dear departed old Friends famous quote rings in my head today..."I wouldn't have traded my enlisted experience for anything in the world. But if you asked me to do it all over again I'd tell you HELL NO! " Charlie Crouch - WWII, KOREA, VIETNAM Veteran (22 years) Resting peacefuly today at Point Loma Military Cemetery, SD, California.

Take a gander at how the pay is for the enlisted people of the military. Pay specfic attention to E4 and below pay. This is base pay. If single this was all you got. If married you got a housing allowance (if you lived off base) and a food allowance called COMRATS. Taking these took away your on base housing and chow hall privileges. In the Navy if you were single and attached a ship like most you got nothing but base pay. Once you achieved E4 you could draw sea pay which equated to about another $120 per month or so based on how many continuous years sea duty you had.

This is 1985 when I enlisted. And we had a lot better pay than Enlisted men/women that came before us.

http://www.navycs.com/charts/1985-military-pay-chart.html

Here is the pay chart for 2014. Considering gas is 3.80 a gallon today vice 1.20 in 1985 they really aren't much better off.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

You have to scroll past the HIGH ROLLER officers pay on this chart to see it.

devous1
05-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I haven't looked at a pay scale since I was discharged in 84 and it isn't much better. Most of the guys I was stationed with would be broke by the Monday after pay. However we didn't enlist to get rich. I enlisted to get out of a dead end life in North Central Ohio where you could be a truck driver, factory worker or a farmer if your parents farmed. I matured from a dumbass kid, traveled, started my education, and got to do a lot of stuff that I otherwise would never get to do.

I was based in So Cal, and back then it seemed to me like we were an annoyance to the locals probably because there were so many military bases from LA to SanDiego and we would fuck or fight anything that moved, and if it didn't move we would break it then try to fuck the pieces. However when I came home on leave I never paid for anything. People always paid for my drinks and food, even people who didn't particularly like me (I was a problematic child) appreciated my service. Even that little recognition means ALOT, and imagine what it means to a service members family when some one walks up and pays for their meal or drinks. It means the world.

USMC

redfirepearlgt
05-26-2014, 08:51 AM
I haven't looked at a pay scale since I was discharged in 84 and it isn't much better. Most of the guys I was stationed with would be broke by the Monday after pay. However we didn't enlist to get rich. I enlisted to get out of a dead end life in North Central Ohio where you could be a truck driver, factory worker or a farmer if your parents farmed. I matured from a dumbass kid, traveled, started my education, and got to do a lot of stuff that I otherwise would never get to do.

I was based in So Cal, and back then it seemed to me like we were an annoyance to the locals probably because there were so many military bases from LA to SanDiego and we would fuck or fight anything that moved, and if it didn't move we would break it then try to fuck the pieces. However when I came home on leave I never paid for anything. People always paid for my drinks and food, even people who didn't particularly like me (I was a problematic child) appreciated my service. Even that little recognition means ALOT, and imagine what it means to a service members family when some one walks up and pays for their meal or drinks. It means the world.

USMC

Like you it was a way for me to grow up. And like you we would be broke by Monday. I followed your trail, serving out there from 1986 - 1993, first aboard USS Constellation CV-64 (Ships company Aviation Electrician) then a second tour at NAS Miramar (known for TOP GUN). I was out there during the TAIL HOOK scandal (THANK YOU OFFICERS) and the stupid movie TOP GUN (THANK YOU TOM 'JERK OFF' CRUISE). So I set out on a mission.

In short by the time I left I passed on to several guys (two of them marine friends) how to overcome the stereotype created by those before us and the lovely TAILHOOK scandal and how to adapt to the local way of life. I enjoyed my entire time out there. The people made it a pleasant experience because of learning how to co-exist using some simple principles. Part of our mission was to upstage officers as gentlemen. The best compliment we would ever receive was, "You don't act like typical military guys." Nothing could have been more gratifying. My friend Paul who I never saw again gave me a key ring with an Irish proverb on it. That along with my boot camp dog tag remain on my key ring today over 20 years later. I only hope that our influence out there spread. I always said that it was a shame that boot camp never taught any level of manners and etiquette to young men/women. They sure wasted enough time teaching men/women newer and more ingenius ways to use the word FUCK. And the government could do something to level the payscale playing field for these guys to make their lives a little more comfortable for all they do to keep us safe. Having a little more cash flow for clothing and other items for a more presentable appearance would have been nice. But we accomplished our personal mission on a limited budget and the help of taking part time jobs locally.

Kevin1989
05-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Chive on!!!