Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
HELP!!! Ceiling just fell in. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Ceiling just fell in.

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Anyone have dibs on a reliable avaliable good interior ceiling/drywall tradesman?

The ceiling in the living room just fell in. Its a 1940 home with plaster over 3/8" gypsum board taht has finally collapsed.

Any good reliable reference would be great.

motox159
04-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Garry Barnes- Barnes Painting and Remodeling. Been in business for over 40 years. 513-460-1870 Tell him Jake sent you his way!!!

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks.

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Going to pick up some 3/4 4x8 to shore the hole up with. Got the blow in all pushed back. Looks like someone (previous owner) was in the attic at some point, stepped in the ceiling and caused the initial pullaway. There is evidence of patching in the area where the crack formed. I hoping It can all be cut back and drywall put in its place without having to redo the whole ceiling. But then again, deckscrewing 1x3's across the whoel ceiling, filling the spaces between with foamcore R11 and then going over hte whole ceiling with 3/8 or 1/2 drywall and trimming it all out may be the better route. Will see when someone comes to look at it.

Meanwhile dad is on his way to lend a hand with the shoring work.

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Just got off the phone with your dad. Thanks for the ref. He will be here Monday to look it all over. Meanwhile I am getting ready to shore up the hole with some 1/2" Plywood and some deck screws just ot keep things in tact until it can be repaired.

Chad

SN95N/A
04-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Pics or it didn't happen lol..good luck gettin it fixed bud.

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Just got the ceiling shored up with some 1/2" play and some firring strips. Still cleaning from all the fallout.

devous1
04-12-2014, 09:44 PM
This winter put the beat down on our house. It's about 12 yrs old now and I can think of at least 4 cracks that have formed in the ceiling in different areas of the house this year.

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Mine was built in 1940. It was what was called a "honeymooners" home so the old timers tell me. Low cost, small, which made it extremely entry level for a newly wed couple with no kids.

I am pndering if the incident however could be an insurance claim or if we even wish to go there. The Sectional was damaged, the carpet like to never cleaned up and Kim's Cherry coffee table took a pounding which is going to have to be completely refinished. Hopefully the dust doesn't have an effect on her piano.

At least the place is finally cleaned up and almost usable again after 9+ hours of cleaning, shopping for shoring supplies and getting it all done. I just want to go to bed.

THANKS Jake (motox159) and Garry for coing out on such short notice Monday morning to look at the ceiling and get me an estimate.

coupegt
04-12-2014, 10:38 PM
My house was built in 1940s as well tearing it out is a hell of a mess hope you get it fixed for a decent deal I did all mine myself wish I would of paid someone but at least I know everything is done right and will Last with me doing it

redfirepearlgt
04-12-2014, 10:47 PM
The bad thinig is that one of the ceiling joists is lower than the rest for some reason. There is no cracking or anything in the load bearing walls, just appears to be a flaw they let go when they built the place in 1940. As for affording it...I'll find out on Monday. LOL! it took dad and me over 7 hours just to get materials and shore up the hole. had to make two trips to HD. Then lke to never got the 4x8 sheet in place. Thinking back now we should have simply cut the 1/2" into 4ft square managable pieces. Would have been done a lot sooner and with a lot less effort. AND WHATS WITH DECK SCREWS? FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IT TAKES AN ACT OF GOD TO GET THEM TO START!!!!:confused: Yes I was using a Bosch cordless and not trying to drive them in by hand! LOL!

motox159
04-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Glad you guys got something worked out! He does top notch work, has had clients over the years fly him to there summer homes to do work. You will not be disappointed in any way! I have delt with the mess your going thru also. House was built in 1906....plaster is no fun, but back in the day that was quality stuff. Good luck with the fix :bigthumb

motox159
04-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Oh yeah, he can most likely take care of that coffee table for you also. Just a thought, maybe run it by him.

maverick
04-13-2014, 10:37 AM

:lol: On a positive note... no one was underneath when it fell.

redfirepearlgt
04-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Yes believe you me we have been very thankful about that.

k062693w
04-13-2014, 04:53 PM

X2 ... Where are the Pics ???

Stangman
04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Damn Chad! Glad everyone is ok. Sucks about the mess though

redfirepearlgt
04-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Aaron I never thought about photos until SN95NA mentioned it. TBH I was so caught off guard photos were the last thing on my mind.

redfirepearlgt
04-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Damn Chad! Glad everyone is ok. Sucks about the mess though

We were fortunate Jess. Would have likely killed Shelby or severely injured him or us. I estimate about 120lb of plaster and sheet rock (or whatever the ycalled it in 1940) in the garbage can. Will have to slpit it up so the man can take it on Wednesday unless of course Jakes dad does the job and can haul it off for us.

redfirepearlgt
04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Gary stopped by this morning Jake. Thanks for the reccomendation. Looking forward to hearing back from him. Sure wish I had his 6'5'" height Saturday! BLOL!

Rick93coupe
04-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Right out of high school I moved into an old farm house with a friend. We decided to take down the walls and ceilings because it was all cracked. It was personally the worst project I've ever been involved in. :lol:
After the cleanup we hired a contractor. LOL

motox159
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Hope it all works out! Like I said before, you will be more than happy with the finished product.

redfirepearlgt
04-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Right out of high school I moved into an old farm house with a friend. We decided to take down the walls and ceilings because it was all cracked. It was personally the worst project I've ever been involved in. :lol:
After the cleanup we hired a contractor. LOL

Still clearing the dust, debris, and other remnants today. I understand. When I looked up and saw that huge hole I swallowed my small bit of pride and said, "Well I can shore it up, but I'm not about to try to fix it". Enter stage left Jake's Dad. Just hope I can swing the cost of repairs. Took the OT tonight to help with the cost.

redfirepearlgt
04-14-2014, 06:14 PM
great quote. Thanks Jake. Garry starts the repairs on Wednesday.

motox159
04-15-2014, 07:29 AM
:bigthumb Let us know how it turns out!

redfirepearlgt
04-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Will do.

redfirepearlgt
04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Jake everything turned out great!!!!! The ceiling is fantastic and Garry did a great job. It is amazing how God's fate can work if one only believes. Thank you for repsonding and giving the recommendation.

motox159
04-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Awesome! I know he was impressed with your car also! Good guy to deal with. I'm sure he's happy to have another pleased customer.