Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
My Terminator has been Terminated [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Terminator has been Terminated

rtvickers
03-04-2014, 05:19 PM
My Cobra turned 100K a few weeks ago. On my way to work this morning I stopped at McD's to grab some breakfast. I heard a rattling. I work about 1/4 mile from McD's. I went out on my lunch break and checked the oil and let it run for second. Thinking it may have been something with the cold weather. Still rattled and oil is fine. Still shows pressure. I drove it home from work today. Its fine on the highway but on decel and lower rpm's it has the rattle. It didnt sound good when I parked it. It does it on and off the clutch. I havent been under the car yet to make sure its not something stupid but I think its done. Im not sure what would cause something like that just out of nowhere. I use Amsoil 5w30 with their filter and I have for the past few years. Im going to try and climb under it tonight. I'll try to get a video. Its not dead yet but I dont think it will be long. Well see tomorrow morning on the way to work. :angel:

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Is it the imfamous head tick?

rtvickers
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Is it the imfamous head tick?

No Ive heard that before. Its the 04 9 thread heads. I couldnt hear it from on top the motor. The rattle come from under the car.

NXcoupe
03-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Still have cats on it? I hope its ok.

rtvickers
03-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Still have cats on it? I hope its ok.

Yeah still has the cats. It dont have stock exhaust on it. It has a JBA catted Hpipe. At first it sounded like a heat shield or something like that. But I dont think it has anything like that on it. It would be awesome if it was something that simple. It sounds like the death rattle to me. I'll know more when I can get under it.

SN95N/A
03-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Not good bud! Let us know whats up

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
When the cat collapsed on my Saturn it rattled like a mexican on a rattle. It was amazingly quiet when I hollowed it out and bolted it back up.

I've seen some videos where a high flow cat collapsed in the pipe and shifted nearly sideways, had a bunch of black smoke pop out when they shifted in the video.

4n_eatr
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Dibs on the IRS...

Seriously I hope it turns out to be something minor.

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Dibs on the IRS...

I'll take it if he backs out. In all seriousness, I'd love to get a IRS.....even if your car isn't toast.

SN95N/A
03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I had to give my irs away lol low mileage too..i have a motor id sell ya tommy

mustang_gt88
03-04-2014, 06:27 PM
hope all is well

redfirepearlgt
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Sorry Tommy. Hate to hear this. That car runs so strong. Hopefully it may just be the cats giving you fits. you said it was running rich which could contribute to cat issues. And they will collapse under modified FI boost conditions like you are running. I am surprised that they are still on the car. They can also melt closed and cause massive loss in power. If they are the factory cats they WILL have some form of heatshield that can come loose as well.

If you need any help just holler.

chris91
03-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Damn dude the thread title had me thinking it was totalled. REALLY hope its just the cats!

draggin50
03-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear! Hope it turns out to be something minor! Keep us posted.

rtvickers
03-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I climbed under it briefly. I didnt see any thing hanging loose. It has aftermarket cats. I have odd headers on it. Its hard to find midpipes that fit. Ive picked up a couple but they will have to be cut up to fit. I havent had the chance to get to it yet. Here's a few crappy videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY3b_O0nuMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw6E5p8v_s

rtvickers
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I had to give my irs away lol low mileage too..i have a motor id sell ya tommy

I dont have that kind of cash to through at a new motor. Im going to try and pick up something to drive until I can get a better hand on whats going on with it. If it makes it through tomorrow. If I dont destroy it I should be good with a rotating assembly, hopefully. I may try and pick up a shortblock. How do you guys feel about MMR?

JIMS SVT
03-04-2014, 09:20 PM
I dont have that kind of cash to through at a new motor. Im going to try and pick up something to drive until I can get a better hand on whats going on with it. If it makes it through tomorrow. If I dont destroy it I should be good with a rotating assembly, hopefully. I may try and pick up a shortblock. How do you guys feel about MMR?

Buy the parts from them and have Steve Barker put it together. And dont let them sell you there oil pump. Get a melling pump.

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Get a Triangle Speed pump.

firestang70
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Follow these guys advice. Their oil pumps suck.

JIMS SVT
03-05-2014, 04:22 AM
I had the MMR oil pump and rotating assembly in a new motor Years ago. 403 miles later the pump broke and took the new motor with it. They wouldn't do a thing about it at all.

Gearhead
03-05-2014, 05:49 AM
I climbed under it briefly. I didnt see any thing hanging loose. It has aftermarket cats. I have odd headers on it. Its hard to find midpipes that fit. Ive picked up a couple but they will have to be cut up to fit. I havent had the chance to get to it yet. Here's a few crappy videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY3b_O0nuMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw6E5p8v_s

That almost sounds like something rattling around within your exhaust ? Hopefully it is just plugged or broken cats ! I'd remove the H/X pipe and inspect before doing anything else.

2000GT
03-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Buy the parts from them and have Steve Barker put it together.

:bigthumb steves the man ive took couple motors to him. nice guy and good at what he does!

SN95N/A
03-05-2014, 07:59 AM
He will have it awhile he's backed up right now

redfirepearlgt
03-05-2014, 08:38 AM
That almost sounds like something rattling around within your exhaust ? Hopefully it is just plugged or broken cats ! I'd remove the H/X pipe and inspect before doing anything else.

That's what I thought. It isn't a consistant knocking or ticking sound. Sounds more like the cats have given up the ghost. The ony other thing I could think of would be timing chain tenioners but I would think that noise would be coming from the front and upper side. Car sounded fine up top in the first video. The oil pump is mounted on the front and is crank driven but since you are getting good oil pressure that tends to remove that from the equation.

The only other thing I could think of that may cause an intermittent rattle noise that sounds like cats is if the separater plate betwen the engine and tranny. It could be making intermittent contact with the flywheel of crank shaft hub. Had that problem arise on my 05 at about 22K. The sep plate had to be removed and material taken off where it fits around the crankshaft hub. No more noises after that.

Blkcobra01
03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Take the mid pipe off start it up see if the rattle goes away hopefully that's all it is. Ford sells reman motors you can get on SVTPerformance and get them through Steve from fordsvtparts 4200 with exchange all you have transfer over is your blower and accessorys hopefully it's just the cats though good luck.

svtfox
03-05-2014, 08:14 PM
take short block to street lethal performance. get tss pump

04mysticcobra
03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
check the a/c compressor clutch my cobra has 105,000 miles on it . I started to hear a bad rattle in it and after looking at everything it turned out to be the a/c clutch . it rattle so bad I thought the motor was junk

stang5slow
03-06-2014, 09:25 PM
ooooo the noise, it hurts my stomach to hear that, like nails down a chalk board

Rabnud
03-07-2014, 04:01 AM
Take the mid pipe off start it up see if the rattle goes away hopefully that's all it is. Ford sells reman motors you can get on SVTPerformance and get them through Steve from fordsvtparts 4200 with exchange all you have transfer over is your blower and accessorys hopefully it's just the cats though good luck.

This. I have a few stock 03 parts I'd be willing to swap over to help with troubleshooting.

Like Blkcobra01 said; disconnect the exhaust after the header connection and try a start. When I was in Cali, a -lot- of guys would complain about their mustangs/aftermarket cats making rattling noises. Most of the time, it would be the bassani cats, or Jim Bob's cats failing.

mad max
03-07-2014, 12:27 PM
tommy - I hope it justs the cats . Don't scare us like that till you know for sure .

rtvickers
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
tommy - I hope it justs the cats . Don't scare us like that till you know for sure .

Even better. It was just the little inspection cover on the trans where the clutch fork and clutch cable hook up. Not 100% sure because it hasn't made any noises today. But it was pretty loose. I took it off for now so we'll see how it goes. Sorry for the scare but after a quick listen I was sure it was something internal. Thank you guys for the help.

chris91
03-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Gotta love little minor shit that makes you think your car is ready to explode. Im sure your blood pressure wasnt liking that too much. lol

I had something similar happen with my old 94. The harmonic balancer tossed the rubber out so it was hitting the water pump pulley making a nasty metal on metal noise and you could feel a nice vibration coming from the engine. I thought for sure she was toast after all the hell I put that car through. lol

rtvickers
03-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Gotta love little minor shit that makes you think your car is ready to explode. Im sure your blood pressure wasnt liking that too much. lol

I had something similar happen with my old 94. The harmonic balancer tossed the rubber out so it was hitting the water pump pulley making a nasty metal on metal noise and you could feel a nice vibration coming from the engine. I thought for sure she was toast after all the hell I put that car through. lol

I hope that was it. I drove from Newport back to eastgate and didn't hear anything. I'll be out in about this evening. Hopefully all goes well.

2-Tone
03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Hope it stays quiet and was nothing more than the cover Tommy. That is an awful feeling thinking you blew your motor.

Blkcobra01
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear it was somthing minor. :bigthumb

redfirepearlgt
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Tell me about it. Had similar thing happen to my 05. Turned out to be cam phasers. A little more than minor, but less than a total engine loss.

plated
03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Seen u pulled in your work yesterday and not backed in like usuall, I live on old74 now just down the road from your work

rtvickers
03-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Seen u pulled in your work yesterday and not backed in like usuall, I live on old74 now just down the road from your work

That's not work that's home. I work in Newport. I live upstairs from the vet hospital. You must have seen it before noon. My girlfriend owns the hospital.

I see you painted your car. Looks pretty good from what I can tell. Where about on 74 did you move?

SN95N/A
03-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Seen you on 125 yesterday i believe if you painted car black and have black wheels on it now?

sean
03-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Tommy. With the noise scare I think you should just sell it to me buddy. I'll give it a good home.

rtvickers
03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Tommy. With the noise scare I think you should just sell it to me buddy. I'll give it a good home.

Hmmmm........

redfirepearlgt
03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm........

Don't do it. He'll just trade it in two weeks after he gets it. And probably for a Corvette...:screwy:

mad max
03-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Don't do it. He'll just trade it in two weeks after he gets it. And probably for a Corvette...:screwy:

These were my thoughts exactly .

sean
03-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't do that. I need a family car so I would keep this. I can wedge my daughter legally in the back of this thing.

PKFIRE
03-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Even better. It was just the little inspection cover on the trans where the clutch fork and clutch cable hook up. Not 100% sure because it hasn't made any noises today. But it was pretty loose. I took it off for now so we'll see how it goes. Sorry for the scare but after a quick listen I was sure it was something internal. Thank you guys for the help.

Glad it was a cheep and easy fix.