Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
The return of Cincinnati Composites? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The return of Cincinnati Composites?

4n_eatr
02-25-2014, 09:01 PM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4344750560.html

Seems a little fishy. Guy has a ton of hoods for sale and the pic is from 2005...

Brand new hood for $175?

NXcoupe
02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Same peeps I believe. I saw that ad too.

4n_eatr
02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
You figure those asshats would give up. I know of at least 3 names they went by and that was in 2007... wonder how many they're up to now...

Metcalf Racing
02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
I still use them. Every hood I've ever bought has been junk no matter where it has came from so I can't justify wasting the money

4n_eatr
02-25-2014, 10:46 PM
I'll never use another one because
1: I had an SVO cowl hood tear the latch out and destroyed my cowl panel and beat the crap out of my roof. The bad part is that I was on my way home from buying hood pins because I was wasn't told until then that CC hoods were junk.
and 2: I don't want to prep a hood anymore than I have to.

Metcalf Racing
02-26-2014, 05:05 AM
Ah like I said I've had many hoods and they all have their issues

stang5slow
02-27-2014, 08:19 PM
my buddy got 2 hoods from them befor, one for a pickup truck an it broke by the latch, another for a trans am, he put hood pins on the t/a an hasn't had a problem out of it, other than it not lining up perfectly, but this isn't a perfect world right

4n_eatr
02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
I've had a Cervini's, Harwood, and two Cincy composites. One of the CC busted my car. learning from that the one I have now that came on the car was pinned soon after I bought it. If that was the only issue with them it wouldn't care. But I could sand and fill this thing until I'm blue in the face and it still wouldn't fit as well as the Cervini's. even the back of the cowl isn't cut in an even radius.

chris91
02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
I had the Cobra R hood from Cervini's on my old 99. It fit awesome and the finish was perfect too. No wavy bs to deal with.

5.0Droptop
02-27-2014, 11:11 PM
They been advertising on indianapolis craigslist for awhile.

NO SHOT
02-28-2014, 09:17 AM
If you want a cheap hood its a cheap hood. If you want a high dollar hood they are out there to.I can't belive how many people cry about this. I have had several hotrod Foxbody mustangs that could use a hood but I didn't want to put a ton of money in them.These are perfect for that.If you can't do bodywork you don't need one of these. Bashing someone trying to make a living is pitiful. Nobody makes you buy them...:bigthumb

facemelter71
02-28-2014, 09:21 AM
They come warped,they use crappy hardware for the inserts in the fiberglass and the two halves are not bonded correctly.

Yes,if you can do fiberglass work then your good to go. Dont forget your hood pins.

P.S. Good luck with the customer service at that shit hole,they have none.

4n_eatr
02-28-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm all for helping someone who has a small business, but not someone who lies about a subpar quality piece and then won't stand behind their product. I've even seen the grommet for the hinges themselves pull out on installation. so I'm "expected" to fix their shit jobs? on corral they even have pictures of them literally falling apart after after 6 months. so what's cheaper, buying a hood every year and filling/sanding it and then having it pained or buying a high quality piece one time? Buisiness is survival of the fittest. You put out a crap product and give shit service you don't stay in buisiness. that's why they've changed their name so many times. If they were just crappy cheap hoods I wouldn't say shit about it. but these hoods are UNSAFE. you can't tell people you can latch your hood without using hood pins and not be held responsible when it flies off and destroys your car or someone elses.

SN95N/A
02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Buy a better hood

5.0calypso93lx
02-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Why would you buy a hood that needs a ton of work right off the bat? I've owned Cervini and Boss inc and both needed minimal work to be perfect, the Cervini needing less than the Boss inc.

Bman
02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
If you want a cheap hood its a cheap hood. If you want a high dollar hood they are out there to.I can't belive how many people cry about this. I have had several hotrod Foxbody mustangs that could use a hood but I didn't want to put a ton of money in them.These are perfect for that.If you can't do bodywork you don't need one of these. Bashing someone trying to make a living is pitiful. Nobody makes you buy them...:bigthumb

A cheap hood is a cheap hood. Like No shot said you get what you pay for.

thecollector
02-28-2014, 07:41 PM
I bought one for an sn95 years ago. Bought it cash and carry out the door for $ 150-said it was a body man special. few hrs of work filing and some sanding it fit fine. After a few yrs of it being on the car I changed the paint and sold it on Clist. Guy came out and bragged about his hood knowledge-swore it was a cervinis, my response was it looks okay. He handed me $250 and was tickled. Unless your spending big $ every hood needs prepped. I'm not afraid of a file but don't want to deal with kitty hair and resin. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I get to pick it. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for, rarely can you pay for ground chuck and get filet.

NO SHOT
03-01-2014, 03:47 PM
I bought one for an sn95 years ago. Bought it cash and carry out the door for $ 150-said it was a body man special. few hrs of work filing and some sanding it fit fine. After a few yrs of it being on the car I changed the paint and sold it on Clist. Guy came out and bragged about his hood knowledge-swore it was a cervinis, my response was it looks okay. He handed me $250 and was tickled. Unless your spending big $ every hood needs prepped. I'm not afraid of a file but don't want to deal with kitty hair and resin. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I get to pick it. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for, rarely can you pay for ground chuck and get filet.

Exactly.. I think some people want to buy a hood. And if they get the cheap one they have saved enough money to get a new Justin Bieber cd. But when it needs body work and a set of pins OH MY!!!!!:eek:

k062693w
03-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Exactly.. I think some people want to buy a hood. And if they get the cheap one they have saved enough money to get a new Justin Bieber cd. But when it needs body work and a set of pins OH MY!!!!!:eek:

:bigthumb I have to agree with you Bill ... My "Jesus" Hood I got from you was as good in my opinion as any $3-400 hood !!! :lol:
You did a little sanding, Painted it, And IMO it looked Good ... :bigthumb

As a Matter of Fact ... It's the Hood in my Sig !!!

NO SHOT
03-01-2014, 07:44 PM
:bigthumb I have to agree with you Bill ... My "Jesus" Hood I got from you was as good in my opinion as any $3-400 hood !!! :lol:
You did a little sanding, Painted it, And IMO it looked Good ... :bigthumb

As a Matter of Fact ... It's the Hood in my Sig !!!

LOL.. That's a good hood and carbon fiber to!!!!!!:bigthumb

4n_eatr
03-01-2014, 07:54 PM
I understand people don't mind putting time into hoods. If I was better at body work I wouldn't either. my issue with them comes from advertising it as a "bolt on, latch able hood" when it isn't. If they simply said "hood pins required with with these hoods" that that would be better. Instead it's a safety factor. you can't expect every Tom Dick and Harry to automatically know to use fasteners when you don't with higher quality hoods. that's why these guys keep changing their names, they keep getting sued.

Metcalf Racing
03-01-2014, 09:10 PM
I've had probably around 20 of their hoods that latched fine. I've only had one break in the latch area. Hood pins should always be used as a safety factor

4n_eatr
03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
I've only had two and one broke as I was driving home from getting pins. This one has a reinforced latch area so maybe they've changed them. I've had two friends that have had them and one flew off on the highway after the latch broke and the other cracked right down the middle after hitting a bump in the road. maybe they've upped their game a little. The biggest thing I hate about mine is that with some work it would look ok, BUT the radius at the back of by the cowl is all messed up and without MAJOR work it won't look right.

Metcalf Racing
03-01-2014, 11:16 PM
You not run the safety latch?. With that on properly they shouldn't come all the way up

4n_eatr
03-02-2014, 08:49 AM
No I did. It tore through the latch section of the hood. The fiberglass itself broke away from the latch and then the safety latch just tore right thought it. Once I bought a better hood I realized I needed to look out for the reinforced latch, which that one didn't have. I was told I didn't need pins and that I just needed to bolt it "down and go", The fiberglass was just really weak in the latch area so it wasn't strong enough to hold it when it let go.

thecollector
03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
For what its worth ford had a recall on sn95 cars for the factory composite hoods delaminating the inner shell from the outer. The repair we did @ the dealership- drill big holes near the leading edge on the bottom side and caulk it full of epoxy... Good times.

4n_eatr
03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
For what its worth ford had a recall on sn95 cars for the factory composite hoods delaminating the inner shell from the outer. The repair we did @ the dealership- drill big holes near the leading edge on the bottom side and caulk it full of epoxy... Good times.

... that's comforting.

1baddlx
03-03-2014, 08:58 PM
don't care who likes them hoods they are junk....bottom line

NO SHOT
03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
don't care who likes them hoods they are junk....bottom line

They are all junk some are just more expensive... I've had them all.:bigthumb

1baddlx
03-03-2014, 09:50 PM
They are all junk some are just more expensive... I've had them all.:bigthumb

disagree...^^^^ HO Fibertrends is body man friendly ...and unless you buy carbon fiber they are by far the better fitting/less prep work hood...I'm sure they're others who will agree with me!

4n_eatr
03-03-2014, 10:08 PM
I've never had a h.o. fibertrends but the one I liked the best was a Harwood on my 87GT. Thing fit perfect and a light sanding to get the prep paint off and it was ready for primer and paint.

draggin50
03-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Ive had about all the hoods and H.O. Fibertrends is the only way I will go now. Minimum prep and the fit is damn near perfect.

I will say this about a Cincinnati Composite hood, I had the 4 inch SVO type hood and it ripped out at the latch area also, It flew up around 65 mph (No pins cause it was a bolt on hood) and it mangled my cowl panel, smashed my wipers, and the rear of the hood was barely damaged! It seemed like it was well built in that area at least!

NO SHOT
03-04-2014, 07:44 AM
disagree...^^^^ HO Fibertrends is body man friendly ...and unless you buy carbon fiber they are by far the better fitting/less prep work hood...I'm sure they're others who will agree with me!

To be honest I've not done a hood from them. I did however do a set of doors.Not bad but by no means scuff and shoot.
Not trying to argue about this....
If you have a hot rod that you want a big hood for that you will be pinning on anyway Composites is a great cheap alternative and I'm glad they are available. But if your building a sweet street car andyou don't want to do bodywork and use pins.Then spend the extra cheese and buy what you really need instead of a cheap hood. :bigthumb

1987LXVert
03-04-2014, 08:49 AM
I've been buying their hoods for years now and they are what they are. Priced great but need a lot of work but that's the business I'm in so it's never botherd me I just take a weekend and make them as nice as I can before I spray it!! Hell I know a lot of people think hofibertrends is golden but I've gotten shit hoods from them as well from time to time. The 5" hood on my 93 cobra in my sig pic is a Cincinnati hood.