Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
When is it time for a New Job [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When is it time for a New Job

PKFIRE
01-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm going back and forth on the possibility of a new job. I've been working as a Project/Quality Control Engineer for 10 years full time and plus it was the place I interned at. I went to School and got a BSEET and graduated in May 2012. I got a call on the phone about meeting with a facility who needs a 0-2 year BSEET or BSEE worker. I'm nervous about leaving my current company that I feel established but also if I don't I may never use my degree to its fullest. I know about everything there is to know about my job. I'm still learning day to day. My manager after 15 years just decided to put his two weeks in last Monday and now there is a new flux of engineers coming in who are good but still learning the company. I have a couple of people left from when I started and most of them will be retired in 2-3 years. It was just strange I got an interview in the middle of my odd week. The week before everything felt so normal. We even had our new certifications guy quit on Friday. Just want to know what your thoughts are.

sean
01-26-2014, 10:42 AM
It sounds like there will be some opportunity for advancement in the near future. If your happy and making decent money you may hang in there and see what the near future holds. To me changing jobs if your not happy or if your currant one has gone stale makes sense. It puts you in the spotlight at your new job and if you wow the shit out of them may fast track you to promotions. You have some new management coming in it sounds like so they will be watching everyone and evaluating. May be a good tome to stay and show them what you can do.

draggin50
01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a sign with the timing! It could be a good opportunity though.

PKFIRE
01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Things are just changing so quickly. I waited awhile for then to hire in some new talent. It's kind of nice working with people my own age. I was just turning 22 when they hired me full time. I still feel pretty young as an engineer but I was just a kid then. As comfortable as it sounds being at one place my whole life I really don't want to obsolete myself. My co-worker would take on new jobs for that fact. He's amazing at what he does because of it. He's 68 now and will finish at my place of work. Hard to replace a guy like that.

Gene
01-26-2014, 01:10 PM
A lot of friends of mine who are engineers have the mentality that unless you're at a really big company that's going to provide plenty of internal opportunities to advancement/ growth (General Electric, P&G, Ford, etc), you're better off changing companies every few years to keep yourself desirable in the marketplace. Otherwise your advancement and pay will stagnate.

redfirepearlgt
01-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Hey Joe,

I just went through what you are considering a few years ago. I have time to talk if you would like to give me a call. PM me if you no longer have my number. I have gone through this scenario more than one time in my career. Give me a call some one evening this week.

PKFIRE
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Hey Joe,

I just went through what you are considering a few years ago. I have time to talk if you would like to give me a call. PM me if you no longer have my number. I have gone through this scenario more than one time in my career. Give me a call some one evening this week.

Will do Chad, it just gets a bit overwhelming to think about it.

redfirepearlgt
01-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Will do Chad, it just gets a bit overwhelming to think about it.

No problem. I understand. Give me a holler. I'll make time.

Aweasel
01-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Same boat...tool and die engineer for automotive manufacturer. If the offers are coming in for more $$ elsewhere, then that's when it's time to move on.

PKFIRE
01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Same boat...tool and die engineer for automotive manufacturer. If the offers are coming in for more $$ elsewhere, then that's when it's time to move on.

I just got an offer for about 6% more than I am making now. They want to give me 2 weeks vacation up front and 3 weeks after the first year. Sounds good but the company I am at now is so stable. We even were turning profit in 07. I am going to tour their facility Monday, Chad I will be giving you a call this weekend.

PKFIRE
02-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I took the job. People are happy for me but I feel like I'm hurting the company I worked for so long. It's depressing seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them though they all understand. Feels like I'm moving away from home.

redfirepearlgt
02-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I took the job. People are happy for me but I feel like I'm hurting the company I worked for so long. It's depressing seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them though they all understand. Feels like I'm moving away from home.

Been there and done that Joe. Its tough when you were at a place for a long period of time and then part ways. Just make positively sure that you leave with a good send off and keep that bridge in place. Don't burn it. They were good to you and liked your work. Down the road you may need them as a reference OR even need to call them for a job again if times get tough.

So good luck my friend in your new career. Keep me updated. Glad to have talked with you.

PKFIRE
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Been there and done that Joe. Its tough when you were at a place for a long period of time and then part ways. Just make positively sure that you leave with a good send off and keep that bridge in place. Don't burn it. They were good to you and liked your work. Down the road you may need them as a reference OR even need to call them for a job again if times get tough.

So good luck my friend in your new career. Keep me updated. Glad to have talked with you.

Thanks Chad for taking time out of your day to get me advice. The title of this new job scares me since I feel like I have a lot to learn. I will give it my best shot. I was told that the door is open at my old job.