Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Pontiac GTO 2005 - 2006 [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac GTO 2005 - 2006

akagreg3
07-31-2013, 06:07 AM
i got a new job making way more monzys, gonna keep my 93 and just keep restoring it, i am pretty close now rockers and paint,

so anyway i got quiet a long commute to work now and iv been looking at the 2005/2006 gto? love the look and of course the LS 2 :D

anyone had one or knew someone with one? how are thy in snow :lol: i know they got traction control, any other ups or downs? any info would be great.

Thanks
yeah i know its not a stang, i am just ready for a change, something new, getting wore out on the mustangs, thought about the firehawks too

sean
07-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Fun cars and a great engine. You'll get no where I the snow.

duststang
07-31-2013, 07:31 AM
cool looking car not a big fan of the LS2 piston slap seems all the ones I come across have it.

2Fast4You
07-31-2013, 08:16 AM
My suggestion, get a newer Stang.

redfirepearlgt
07-31-2013, 09:09 AM
GTO is a great car IMO. Pontiac is my number two brand. They were my number one choice when it came to service after the sale. Never had a service issue hassle from Pontiac here or when I lived in California. My 1990 quad four HO was a problem child, but Pontiac alwys stepped up even after warranty was out, because of issues I had had. Great people to work with even when I called the 1800 PMCARES number. Big mistake to close them and keep Buick IMO.

As for snow, put Blizzaks on the back throw 2-3 bags of tube sand in the trunk and go. I did that with redfirepearl and drive 27 miles each way to work in 5" unplowed snow many and many a time. That car handled great. Take off in second, run 35-40 and just left for work a little earlier. I have driven most of my life in RWD vehicles all season. FWD cars push when they lose traction and RWD cars get loose when they lose traction. And if you notive, its AWD vehicles that are usually in the snow banks or guard rails in bad weather.

That car also weighs more than a Mustang S197 so in winter driving on Snow tires it will be as good if not better. Do it.

Oh Adam @ SandM performance had one. He can really enlighen you on them.

firestang70
07-31-2013, 12:27 PM
I like fast cars from all of the big 3. With that said I looked at one in 05. Not a fan of the styling at all. LS motors are very nice. I drove an S197 Mustang and ordered one a week later. Much better styling and interior. Test drive a couple and get what you want.

leroy93lx
07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
I have always liked the GTO but I like the G8 much better. Very good looking and comfy. What about a CTS -V?

sean
07-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Ctsv would be my choice too. Along with wrx and bmwx. The gto has a pretty cool interior though.

mf959100GT
08-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I have always liked the GTO but I like the G8 much better. Very good looking and comfy. What about a CTS -V?

The G8 GT's are nice I test drove one and was shocked by the power it had, just barely gave it gas and lit the tires up. GTOs look pretty good too

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
As a driver the 05-06 GTOs are bad ass. I have actually been thinking about buying another one if I don't spring for a new CTS-V. They suck in the snow for sure! I Had a 2009 BMW 335Xi and liked the GTO much more and had fewer issues with it even though it was older. :bigthumb

2007ShelbyCobra
08-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Ctsv or G8. Not a fan of the GTOs, nice as a fun daily, but other than that.... heavy, and very limited tire size.

slow86fiveoh
08-01-2013, 05:25 AM
I don't like the styling of the GTO to me they look like a oversized cavalier

akagreg3
08-01-2013, 06:08 AM
kewl :cool1: thanks for all the info,

why are the gto so heavy, there not a whole lot to them lol, is it just the motor or what?

yeah i like the g8 also and the g8 firehawk is bad ass but its just so hard to find around here, iv never looked in to cts-v? and bmw iv just never had one or worked on one so iv got no idea what parts would coast, i am sure there expensive

i figured the gto would suck as much as the stang in the snow, i got the 4x4 ranger if it gets really bad, my commute is 68 mile so im going to do something,

as for buying a new mustang idk just getting tired of them (same old same old) ya know

redfirepearlgt
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
3725 is what I see on topics about curb weight. It is a bit heavier than a GT mustang. Not as much as I would have expected. Guessing interior and sound deadening material.

Cadillac CTS-v weighs in at 4255. Now that's a lead sled.

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Didn't these have an issue with catching on fire? Or was that just the early ones with the 5.7?

redfirepearlgt
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Didn't these have an issue with catching on fire? Or was that just the early ones with the 5.7?

There was an issue with 3.8L engines (or one of those v6's) doing that but it was short lived. That engine would have been in Grand Prix, and possibly Grand Ams, but not GTO's. My wife had a Buick Regal that had that engine and we received notice on it...again I think it was a 3.8L too many minor displacement changes in the V6 units over to short a time period. Either way it was a minor repair but can't remember exactly what it was related to. Something goofy that one would not think of when designing an engine.

5.0calypso93lx
08-01-2013, 03:30 PM

There was an issue with the fuel line on the early cars rubbing the passenger cylinder head plastic cover.

I personally really like these cars, especially the LS2's.

My sisters 3.8 GTP caught fire in the parking lot of her work and burnt to the ground. Seems as if oil pools up on the exhaust manifold and will ignite once the car is off.

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, I thought it was something to do with the wiring to the battery catching on fire. It wasn't the 3.8. Now it's going to bother me what I'm thinking of, lol

redfirepearlgt
08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
There was an issue with the fuel line on the early cars rubbing the passenger cylinder head plastic cover.

I personally really like these cars, especially the LS2's.

My sisters 3.8 GTP caught fire in the parking lot of her work and burnt to the ground. Seems as if oil pools up on the exhaust manifold and will ignite once the car is off.

That's what it was on the 3.8. Wasn't aware of an issue on the LS2.

Get it. 05,06 had more HP if I recall.

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not a GM guy (anymore) but I've always love the GTOs. Especially the 6.0s They aren't as visually loud and obnoxious as the T/As. Very subdued and pretty fast.

akagreg3
08-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah think I'm going to test drive a few different ones automatic and a 6speed