Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Stay 5spd or go auto? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stay 5spd or go auto?

2007ShelbyCobra
07-19-2013, 10:32 PM
I just tore up my 3650 for the second time, only 60k on the car. 15,000 miles on the rebuilt transmission and my 3rd gear is screwed again. Its always had the right fluids and an aftermarket shifter. I hate automatics, I love driving a manual transmission, but I know theres a good bit to gain by switching to an automatic. It runs real consistent the way it sits with the 5spd, but if I have it rebuilt again ill kill myself and I dont want to take away the streetability with some built trans. I dont want a 6spd either, everyone keeps saying go t56. What should I do? :confused: Im on a major budget, I put about 8 thousand miles on it a year.

Currently it runs 12.20s with about everything stock except engine modifications and slicks in the rear. I just need help deciding, and if I go auto it will have a manual valve body. The car is a street strip car, I want to go full front and rear suspension and a gear, which should be easy high 11s, then probably a 100 shot. Any input appreciated.

Blackout
07-19-2013, 10:45 PM
I switched, and it was the best decision that I could have made. But then again, my car is turbo'ed so it was a neccesity

cstreu1026
07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Autos sucks plain and simple. I did the swap and regretted every day. Lost two years of racing trying to sort it out and eventually giving up on it. Put a TKO 500/600 or G Force T5 behind it.

redfirepearlgt
07-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I prefer manual myself. Kennebell Cobra went auto in his red cobra some years back and hated it afterward, so he sold it and has been stick shift evert since. Then again we're talking about Kennebell Cobra (Shannon) who can assemble a T5/T45 and likely a T3650 blindfolded. I thought about going auto on the 13 (trading for an auto) but decided to stick it out with the pot sticker Gitrag MT-82 and hope it holds out for me with near future plans. Good luck. The autos may be a little less costly to fix but there's a trade off. THe new auto tranny in the Mustang GT is very nice, but even with euro-trash-selecta-shift it still aint the same as clutching and jammin gears.

sean
07-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Take this how you want and I'm not trying to be a dick but most likely the reason the granny's are going is all on you. If your raping the shit out of something its going to break. Your going to tear up an auto the same way. Either buy something built that can handle your abuser learnto abuse it better. Or do what therestof the race guyson here do and have a back up laying around. Basically if your on a tight budget don't beat the hell out of it. You can still have fun. I hate automatics unles it old muscle or has a power adder. Save your money and get a built tranny and have fun.

Mista Bone
07-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Learn to drive a stick?

You are shoving it into 3rd before clutch was totally unlocked, thus abusing the tranny.

Learn your shift timing better, get the clutch in a bit sooner, once learned the tranny will last a lot longer.

Or you can keep rushing the shift and keep the (Honda) tranny builders like me happy with work.

cyah92
07-20-2013, 05:08 AM
Stick for the street. Upgrade your tyranny for the abuse your putting it through.

SN95N/A
07-20-2013, 05:17 AM
It just all really depends on where your going with the car full modded or keeping it in the 12's..I'm going with th400 in my car but personally I think you should stay manual but the ultimate decision Is up too you.

Mista Bone
07-20-2013, 05:39 AM
One customer of mine, SCCA National Champion a few classes, takes care of his equipment, aka "shifts like a pussy" and one of the boxes I built is going on 7 years without even a look inside, I will get it this winter.

Another SCCA/NASA racer with same gearbox did $600 in parts damage after two weekends, one at Summit Point, other at Virginia International Raceway (RIP Oak Tree!) because he was forcing/rushing the shifts.

Honda's like the T5/3650 like to break/wear shift forks which in turns damages the dogs on the gear as well on the slider and hub.

I used to break a BUNCH of shifter forks, nothing like driving 20 miles home from Edgewater with only second gear in a ricer burner! Now I no lift shift on same tranny build simply because I change MY left foot/right hand timing.

You muck up a few until you get it right, but once you get it, GAME ON!

dedpedal
07-20-2013, 08:18 AM
After swapping to and auto I hated driving the car and lost interest in it.

700hp04mystic
07-20-2013, 08:46 AM
well I know a lot of people will disagree here, but junk the 3650 and get you a t-45 with a welded 3,4t gear shift fork and never look back. I can promise you that you will never abuse a tranny more then me. lol my buddy down here does the forks and installs them and we have never broke one again. however with a spec stage 3 clutch we have broke input shafts before but if you use a little softer clutch it shouldn't be a issue. that's haw you can do it cheap and will last a long time in my opinion. if you are interested in that let me no and I can get you hooked up with him.

700hp04mystic
07-20-2013, 08:49 AM
also whatever you decide, you need to keep your clutch adjusted to release as high on the pedal as you can without slipping and that will help a lot with smoother shifting.

COOP
07-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Auto to stick swap was the best mod I've made on my car. Keep it manual.

chad393na
07-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Faceplated gforce T5 and dont look back! I can take you for a ride sometime and I think you will agree!! If you had a turbo I would strongly recommend an auto.

cstreu1026
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Faceplated gforce T5 and dont look back! I can take you for a ride sometime and I think you will agree!! If you had a turbo I would strongly recommend an auto.

I'm liking my faceplated TKO500 now that I've gotten somewhat use to the noise and it ALWAYS goes in to gear.

chad393na
07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm liking my faceplated TKO500 now that I've gotten somewhat use to the noise and it ALWAYS goes in to gear.

Like butter!!!!!! No better feeling than hitting EVERY power shift!

coleary1992
07-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Having both an auto and stick in the same car I prefer the auto, but I'm going tuebo so of course auto will be easier. Definitely something wrong if this is your second trans lol

1baddlx
07-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Having both an auto and stick in the same car I prefer the auto, but I'm going tuebo so of course auto will be easier. Definitely something wrong if this is your second trans lol

Is tuebo some kinda tuesday power adder?:lol:

SN95N/A
07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
^thats funny!

coleary1992
07-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Funny guy. I'm on my cell. my engine might only last til tuesday lol

4n_eatr
07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Ive only had one auto mustang. It was fun once I learned how to manually shift it correctly (AOD) and made it kinda feel like a race trans, but the novelty wore off. I don't think ill ever go back.

facemelter71
07-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Hated all of my 5-speeds. T-5's,3550's,TKO's,blah blah blah.

I now have a built AOD and love it. That extra space where the clutch pedal was,is now a good spot to rest my big ass foot.

firestang70
07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
I love banging gears. That said I love the 6r80 in my car. With a 3800 stall its great on the street and the track.

5.0calypso93lx
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd stick with a manual of some kind at your power level. Unless you plan on adding some type of power adder and a lot of it pretty soon.

dr59l
07-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Durability stick all the way. I've raced built autos for years an I can tell u big stalls burn a trans in a hurry on street. Plus dollar for dollar getn a auto w overdrive built to handle big power I'd go stick. I went from a c4 w 11clutches an a brake to a tko600 an never lost any et or MPH an now cruise @2200 doing 65 w my 4.56s

cstreu1026
07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
That's a good point. A built 4R70W with a good converter is big chunk of change. I think I was going to be out north of $4k when I was going to put one in the car behind a supercharged 4.6.

2007ShelbyCobra
07-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Really the price doesnt seem too much different. I can pick up a 4r70 for about free, but with a stall and a a manual valve body (only way I would go auto is with one) it gets expensive quick. Im probably going Tko or some form of a T56

Thanks for the help. Im more a fan of manual, and I get the feeling id like the auto at first, but as soon as I start cruising with my buddies ill highly regret it.

pegasus
07-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Auto to stick swap was the best mod I've made on my car. Keep it manual.

Same here!!!!!