Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Getting Scratches/Gouges out of Paint ? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Scratches/Gouges out of Paint ?

Katmandu
05-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Q: For you body shop people.....

What's the best way to get scratches and/or gouges out of Paint ?

Wife just scraped the shit out of the side of her 12 Liberty. :dummy:

9cobra4
05-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Can you feel them with your fingernail? Like does it catch on your nail? Pics would help bud.

Katmandu
05-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Can you feel them with your fingernail? Like does it catch on your nail? Pics would help bud.Just got home and took some pics. The damage is in the lower left hand edge of the quarter panel and the RR fender flare (fiberglass).

From what I can tell, I believe the paint on the metal 1/4 can be easily buffed out. The damage on the fender flare is a bit more. It's gouged, but not real bad actually.

How would one fix the damage on the flare ?

http://images50.fotki.com/v1528/photos/8/2654248/11999494/IMAG0596-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v303/photos/8/2654248/11999494/IMAG0594-vi.jpg

chris91
05-09-2013, 01:11 AM
If you can see the primer there is no buffing it out.

Katmandu
05-09-2013, 01:13 AM
If you can see the primer there is no buffing it out.I rubbed my finger on some of the paint scratches and they came out. I think it's just to the clear coat level on the 1/4.

chris91
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
If its just the clear then get you some 3m Finesse It II and that should take care of it. Its not a real abrasive polish but with a darker color you'll need to deswirl it afterwards.

sean
05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Chris does D swirling the paint permanently get rid of this swirl or does it just come back once the Polish wears off

chris91
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Depends on what you use.

9cobra4
05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
The ones on the 1/4 look as if they would come out with just buffing, most of it anyway. The ones on the fender flare are not going to come out. You can touch them up, but the flare will need bondo from what I see. And at that point you might as well buy a new flare and spray it. They're not expensive, and very easy to remove and re-install.

'92Stang
05-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Looking at it from my phone, it looks like the fender flare and bumper cover is all that's damaged. I'd just use some filler for both plastic parts and spray it. Could be a relatively cheap fix with the right body shop.

SN95N/A
05-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I hear goulds does good work.

Katmandu
05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
The ones on the 1/4 look as if they would come out with just buffing, most of it anyway.

The ones on the fender flare are not going to come out. What about sanding down the damaged area on the flare and refinishing it ?

What's the best process for doing that ?

Katmandu
05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd just use some filler for both plastic parts and spray it.The 1/4 is actually metal and the flare is fiberglass.

91boost
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Quarter can be buffed flare needs some putty and paint and it will look new again!! No need to buy a new one it can be repaired.

full force
05-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Looks to be in the clear to me, if you know what your doing you can most likely fix with buffing, if your not experienced find someone that is, compound with a wool pad will get the clear to "melt" back to a finish, then polish it with swirl remover and foam pad from 3M, then wax done......

Unless it is actually in the primer but looks to be just clear to me from what I can see...

I have removed some serious scratched doing this in past, good thing I grew up in autobody buisnes, learn lots of tricks!

Katmandu
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Unless it is actually in the primer but looks to be just clear to me from what I can see...

I have removed some serious scratched doing this in past, good thing I grew up in autobody buisnes, learn lots of tricks!The fender flare fiberglass is gouged pretty good. It's going to need sanded down for sure.

I'm not certain what the process is from there. ?? What type of filler/putty/glazing is used ?

After that, is it just primer/paint/clear coat it or what ?

9cobra4
05-10-2013, 03:55 PM
What about sanding down the damaged area on the flare and refinishing it ?

What's the best process for doing that ?

You can definitely sand it down and fill it with puddy, it's not difficult at all.

Just sand it down to the primer, clean the area, mix some puddy, lay it on until you can see you've got the gouges filled, sand it down until its smooth with the rest of the flare, then prime it and paint it. Since its at te bottom of the vehicle, no one is going to see it, so it doesn't have to be perfect if you just want a quick fix. As for the scratches, just buff it with a cutting pad, then a polishing pad. They should be gone.

full force
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Have someone who knows what they are doing paint it, a spray can will not be the quality, and matching metallic is not easy... make sure they at least blend it in so you don't notice it...

9cobra4
05-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to clarify, but you'll definitely have to use an actual paint gun. And dude above me is right, metallic is not easy to blend. But, since it's a newer vehicle, it will make it a lot easier to whoever you have doing it, as long as they know how to blend.

Katmandu
05-10-2013, 10:28 PM
:bigthumb Thanks for the tips! Big help.

I'll do the base work and take it to a shop for the paint job. :bigthumb

full force
05-11-2013, 07:33 AM
:bigthumb Thanks for the tips! Big help.

I'll do the base work and take it to a shop for the paint job. :bigthumb

probably a smart thing to do if you cant spray it yourself with knowledge...