Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Tool Box [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tool Box

NC89GT
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I have been looking to upgrade my tool box. I am not looking to spend a fortune on it. Anyone have any suggestions or comments on brands not Snap-On, Mac, Matco? Looked at Craftsman, Kobalt. If anyone has an any insight I would appreciate it!

motox159
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I dont know the big deal about the name on them really. My dad has had the same Craftsman boxes for at least 30 years. They have taken alot of abuse and still hold up. I have had mine for almost 10 now with no problem either. Plenty of room and sturdy. Really just depends on how much you wanna spend in my opinion.

1987LXVert
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Just depends on what you wanna spend really. Quality is def there with snap-on,mac,cornwell,matco. I have a snap-on,cornwell and 3 craftsman boxes but I def wouldn't overload the craftsman boxes like I can the others. Big dif in prices but it's like anything in life you get what you pay for just my 2 cents worth.

redfirepearlgt
12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
My comment would be to get roller style sliders and find out the gauge sheet metal used to make the thing. Obviously the thicker the sturdier and heavier. LAST - MADE IN USA if there is such a thing...even if it does cost a few dollars more.

2007ShelbyCobra
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
HARBOR FREIGHT. Yes, I just went there. I am very satisfied with my 13 or 14 drawer roll around unit found here http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-69387.html It is about the same quality as Craftsman but much cheaper, for a home unit and not something at a shop, I love it. The box alone weighs 300pds, I have probably 250 plus pds of tools in mine and it still rolls nice. Mine is the old powder coated finish, the new ones have a much nicer looking red paint. Only complaints are; the drawers dont stay shut as well as a grip latch style like Craftsman, and I heard the locking mechanism is flimsy, but ive never used it. Also the trim on the handles cam loose, but i just but a dab of silicon on all of them. Mine was $359 on sale, a similar Craftsman is about double that. Over all, very satified. They also have an upgraded version, but im a cheap ass and wasnt interested. http://www.harborfreight.com/56-inch-11-drawer-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html Not sure of your price range or current chest size as well

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-40inch-wide-14-drawer-ball-bearing-tool/p-00913288000P?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Cabinets&prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12 similar Craftsman, but not as deep or even as wide

mustangjon
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Kobalts are same parent manufacture as strapon

9cobra4
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Lol yeah get a Harbor Freight box, they only problems are blah blah blah(name a thousand problems) Way to sell it, Potter.

1987coupe
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Napa has a very nice 41" 2 piece box on sale for 999 the top box is a 8 drawer. bottom box is a 11 drawer and you get a free tool cart with it. its made by homak and the free cart is a 3 drawer 34" the drawers have ball bearing slides. they are while supplies last also

9cobra4
12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Those tool carts are more handy than the tool box itself! I love having a tool cart. Especially if your box is too big to move around to where you're working.

facemelter71
12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Pro's and Con's.

Big name (Snap-on,Matco,Mac,Cornwell)
Pro's. The guy delivers the damn thing for you. If some thing is wrong with it,you will see the guy in about a week. The drawers can hold alot of damn weight. If you notice on a craftsmen (which I have had) the drawers get a little saggy and the bearings wont roll that well under pressure. A couple hammers in 1 drawer will pretty much cash that drawer out. The locking mechanism on my Matco is pretty damn good,as far as I know,no one has a lock pick set to get into it. Unlike the round barrel type lock that every one has gone to,which takes all of about 3 seconds to get open with a barrel pick.
Cornwell makes really up-to-date toolbox designs and colors but they dont seem as sturdy as Matco and snap-on. I cant stand snap-ons style of drawer closure system with the latch under the handle, Same as Cornwell.

Cons,EXPENSIVE AS HELL!!!

more later,got some customers.

draggin50
12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I work in aviation and there are a lot of guys using the Harbor Freight boxes with no problems and they get moved all the time. I have a cheap ITB (International Tool Box) box and other than being extremely heavy, I like it. I sold my Snap On box and will never own another one. No problems with it but for the money, there are others that work just as well.

NC89GT
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions.. I am still undecided.. I found several used snap-ons but with as little as ill use it, I am not sure that I want to drop that much cash

Timido
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Did around you can find great used boxes I would rather have a used snap on box than a new craftsman.

thecollector
12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions.. I am still undecided.. I found several used snap-ons but with as little as ill use it, I am not sure that I want to drop that much cash

What is your budget?

NC89GT
12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I think I found one...Budget was under 3k

full force
12-11-2012, 12:46 AM
2 things..... CRAIGSLIST and ROLLER BEARINGS.....

I buy used stuff thats not beat, let someone else pay way too much then you get it way cheaper...

I got the Cobalt I have for 400.00 on craigslist, guy needed cash... he paid 1150.00 for it... I love the box, great price!!

bestracing
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Last year after christmas I got a nice Task Force brand 6 drawer roller cabinet and a 5 drawer top chest for $169 at Lowes. I was looking for just a lower roller cabinet with drawers only for my 26" Craftsman upper box and everything was over $180 for just one box and sets were much higher.

The Task Force is actually built better than my Craftsman box. The drawers push lock and dont open when rolling the chest around on rough concrete and I have a lot of air tools in one of the lower drawers and it still slides in and out nicely. As far as durability??? I'm not using it in a professional manner. Just as a weekend warrior and home projects.

p.s. I just noticed they don't list my lower cabinet anymore

Now I'd like to get a nice center cabinet........

chris91
12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
For anyone looking for a nice cart hit up your MM&FF mag and they have a coupon for their 5 drawer for $99. I bought one and its SUPER nice for the price. Fit almost all my tools and it locks up and its pretty damn sturdy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capacity-four-drawer-tool-cart-95659.html

If anyone wants to get this and doesn't have a coupon let me know. I have a couple in my mags Ill give away.

rpppaprp
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I wouldnt spend a lot of money on one if you dont use it for work. I bought a $4200 snapon and i have never used it. Now i cant get rid of it.

mach_u
12-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Buy mine! :D
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57861.

facemelter71
12-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Sell you mine right at 3k. Ill even deliver it.

coleary1992
12-22-2012, 12:52 AM
I use a 1980's snap on box, its 48" deep, both top and bottom box, maybe 5ft tall by 6ft wide. All ball bearing sliders, every drawer filled to the brim. Hasn't moved since the shop opened in 1985 lol but work great.

I work off a plastic mac tool cart and rarely have to go to my box. Them again i only use metric tools and some specialty stuff. I have 2 small 13 drwaer craftsmen at home, paid $250 total for thwm, they get the job done, they mainly hold random bolts and extra parts haha if ypu can get a snap on box cheap enough then go for it. Otherwise the cheaper ones do just fine.

NC89GT
12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Picked up a snap on box on here a few weeks ago for a sweet price.. Thanks

coleary1992
12-22-2012, 11:45 AM
How ya like it?

NC89GT
12-22-2012, 12:10 PM
it looks good sitting in my garage. ha

coleary1992
12-23-2012, 12:54 AM
When I worked at mazda a tech set his geo metro on his brand new snap on roll cart...it said it was rayed at 5,000 pounds and sure as hell we rolled the damn thing around and the top didn't even dent