Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What to use to remove rusty water stains? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to use to remove rusty water stains?

Rick93coupe
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I had a heater hose blow on my Jeep when I first got it and the cooling system was nasty. That's all been fixed but I'm left with rust stains everywhere under the hood. You guys know of anything that would clean it off? It just bugs me.

chris91
11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Purple Power Degreaser. Start off at 50:1. Full power will more than likely take the paint right off the metal.

redfirepearlgt
11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I was just told to try using toothpaste. Also heard of using Naval Jelly but never tried it.

coleary1992
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Purple power will work but yeah it strips paint off...I used it when i had my motor out and took it right to metal lol

chris91
11-08-2012, 07:42 PM
That's why you dilute it half water half PP.

84stang
11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe some CLR?

bestracing
11-14-2012, 08:10 AM
I have used Castrol's Super Clean straight up and a small brush to clean up stuff in my engine bay and it worked really well. Never had it attack the paint on my motor. On my 86 the engine bay wasn't painted really well and there were a lot of places where primer was showing from the factory. The Super Clean did remove some paint from these areas but still left the primer behind so it doesn't really look any different than it did before. Still I recommend diluting it just to be safe.

On polished metal or chrome parts you will have to use a metal polish like Mother's to get rid of the water stain. I had just got my motor together and I had polished my alternator case and installed the fake braid on my radiator hoses. Evidently I couldn't get the clamps tight enough and I blew the upper hose off. Had to remove the alternator and polish it again :mad:

Maybe some CLR?

That was the first thing I thought of from reading the title :lol:

chris91
11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
When I said it would remove paint I meant the engine bay paint. Not like paint off the valve covers or anything like that. Purple Power is some caustic shit though. It puts other degreasers to shame. Been using it for details for many years now.

Bman
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
CLR from kroger.