Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Home inspector? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home inspector?

exrider416
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Anyone know of a great home inspector? Buying a home and would like to have a good thorough inspection. The realtor gave me a few, but would like to check into some others. Also home owners insurance, who do you guys prefer?

myownr
10-30-2012, 09:23 PM
don't know any personally but i would interview them and ask them how long does an inspection take, what items do you look at, how long has the company been in business, who will be doing the inspection and what is there education and expertise. What special tools or equipment do you use. In addition to seeing what is worn, key things you want inspected include flashing, caulk around windows (on exterior), gutters, downspouts and where they drain to, and shingles are a few. basically anywhere water could go, get into the house, and damage something. If you can't get water to divert away from the house it will create problems for you including foundation damage and not to mention mold. If the house is brick make sure it has the weep holes and they are not blocked by landscaping or sealed shut.

redfirepearlgt
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Insurance - Erie been with them 18 years for homeowners. Anyone coming in lower is coming in with less coverage.

Inspector - You may wish to contact your building inspector for a reference list. That would be the most reliable and likely yield you the best chance of an inspection you can rely on.

exrider416
10-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the input. Realtor gave me all his brochures, kind of planned on staying away from his recommendations lol I have heard good things on Erie. I have had lots of cars, but this house buying is a new ball game

bobtsgt
10-31-2012, 08:16 AM
This guy has been doing them for years. I've known the family for a pretty long time as well. His name is Rich Dalgewicz but you will probably get his secretary when you call.

http://www.homepridemetro.com/

redfirepearlgt
10-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the input. Realtor gave me all his brochures, kind of planned on staying away from his recommendations lol I have heard good things on Erie. I have had lots of cars, but this house buying is a new ball game

Just take your time. Don't jump just because you like it. Think, think, think. Discuss it. Have more than one inspector if you think taht is needed. TAKE NOTHING verbal. Get it all in writing. Don't be afraid to ask questions. ITS YOUR MONEY! Look at the cost of utilities, the cost of taxes and insurance. Make sure you can afford it. Nothing sucks worse than to move into a new home and then find yourself having to work OT to make the heat bill or the water bill or the semi annual tax bill (assuming you don't use an escrow account) that was not calculated into the budget.

Remember that mortgage lenders don't factor in utilities, insurance, groceries, or charitable commitments you may have when determining how much you can afford. You still have to make these payments however in the end. They don't pay themselves. Don't lose site of this when buying your home. Nothing worse than being real estate poor. Call teh energy company anad have them give you an assessment of the past 2 years bills for gas/electric.

A wise man once told me that in order to know what you can effectively afford, make sure you tell the lender to include your estimated amounts for utilities and other items I have mentioned as part of your debt ratio before giving you a pre-approved dollar amount you can afford. This minimizes hardships that may arise after the fact of the purchase. Mortgage lenders are sale people as well. Just like the Realtor they wish to only close the deal after they see you can meet approvals.

Oh by the way - ESCROW. If your taxes or insurance go up a year from now and you have an escrow account separate or rolled into your mortgage, it will go up. SO keep that in mind when you go to sign as well. If you have the option, handle your own taxes and insurance. I do this so I can make the interest (such that it is) on my own escrow and have better control of it. I put money into a savings account that I have established for taxes and insurance. This way I make the money on my money and not he escrow company.

Make sure you get a conventional fixed rate 15,20,30 year loan. Don't fall for any interst only or ARM style loans. Rates will not go much lower. They will go back up.

Last. We got a push mower included into our first home purchase as well as washer/dryer/appliances. SO DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK. All they can say is no.

Good luck.

PS - get a mentor (parent/relative/longtime friend) to go with you as well. Get their opinion. Get their advise. ASK, ASK, ASK. Don't do ANYTHING on assumption.

thecollector
10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
My father is a commercial building inspector with a large local city. He has 30+ years of construction experience, on top of building custom homes on the side he also does realestate inspections. Prior to working as a state employee he operated his own construction business for 18 years. His residential work has been featured in many national publications and his commercial work houses everything from mini marts to the home of the bengals. Ill pm you his cell#.