PDA

View Full Version : paint a mach.

sean
10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
I am considering a total color change paint job on my car. What kind of price could i expect to see? Does the engine needed to be pulled to paint that area? If so i may leave that alone. I am talking about my 03 mach one. It has enough miles where i think i can get away with making it my own and if i wanted to sell it I'd still be fine. I would replace all the original stickers and keep the flat black stickers and wing. Just change the color. Always thought that a burnt orange mach would look great. Body and interior are solid 9 out of 10. Paint is just a little aged and has the scratches your going to see on a driver. That and what's to be expected for a non metallic black gloss re spray if i went that way?

sean
10-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Possibly the new green too

plated
10-23-2012, 10:02 PM
10k if you wanna do it right.$2,000 of its materials....again if you want it "right". hell american restoration get $3,500 to paint a tootsie roll dispenser:lol:

rtvickers
10-23-2012, 10:05 PM
What about a Mystic Chrome Mach1

sean
10-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Lol... Yea American restorations is a bit pricy. I believe it was a Hershey bar machine. Wow.... That's waaaay more expensive than i was hoping for. Lol not wanting a car show finish though. Just a nice driver finish.

9cobra4
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
GHIG would be the shit! Do that.

sean
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I agree. That green with all the original flat black would look great but not for 10,000. No damn way. Id be so buried in that car.

jad0087
10-24-2012, 03:43 AM
sean give this guy a call, 937-271-4528 , his name is chris, ive known him since i was a little kid, he doesnt AWESOME work, ive seen some of the stuff hes done and also have had some high dollar stuff done for myself from him

Dirtyd0g
10-24-2012, 04:17 AM
The flat black would be easier to find someone who can wrap it. I think with the way the epa is going painting is becoming a lost art and wrapping cars is the way of the future. With the right materials wraps are 10 times tougher than paint anyway. They never really seem to get the deep gloss of a good paint job however.
Alan

SN95N/A
10-24-2012, 05:23 AM
With it being a mach u deffinately dont want spare any money u want it to be right.

Stangman
10-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Wouldn't touch it... black on black mach is killer... and rare I would imagine

700hp04mystic
10-24-2012, 07:48 AM
what is the purpose of having a mach if u wanna jack it up by painting it something diffrent. just my opinion.

sean
10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
I doubt that its all that rare as far as machs go. its got a ton of miles on it but its darn near perfect. If I were to sell it miles alone would hold it to 6500 to 7500 tops and thats if you would come go for a ride. The inside still smells new. So I am not afraid of painting it a color it was never suposed to be. The only flat black thats painted on these cars is the wing and mine doesnt need painted there. The rest is stickers. Im going to googole some shops and look at some reviews and make some calls here soon if I dont get much response here and see what it takes for a good color switch paint job. Not a show quality one but a cruise in nice day car that will get driven one. The only part that has me worried is the under hood area but honestly because of the huger shaker if you pop the hood theres really not much to see so I may skip the engine bay area all together except for the sides so you cant see black in between the lines with the hood down.

sean
10-24-2012, 08:00 AM
what is the purpose of having a mach if u wanna jack it up by painting it something diffrent. just my opinion.

Im with you and I am surprised it took this long for this question to come up but like I mentioned earlier it has some miles on it. 160,xxx if you want to know but its almost perfect in and out and running. Just slightly aged paint. The way I see it all I am going to do is limit myself of potential buyers. Its not going to affect the price because no collecter is going to want it with those miles. The mach is special because of the rear window styling, the flat black accents, the hood, wheels, seats and dash. Also the 32 dohc and the solid rear axle. Theres a few other things but tahts pretty much it. The gloss black paint was just a color ford already had. I believe the blue was the only real creative color they had and that wasnt added until 04 I think. Im keeping everything thats mach important the same just wanting to add some color that should have been an option in the first place. I believe the point of having a mach is the low numbers lower milage higher dollar cars. Since mine is not lower milage the point of having mine is so you can have a driver your not afraid of driving.

mustang8998
10-24-2012, 08:26 AM

THIS!!!!!!

sean
10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Im with you and I am surprised it took this long for this question to come up but like I mentioned earlier it has some miles on it. 160,xxx if you want to know but its almost perfect in and out and running. Just slightly aged paint. The way I see it all I am going to do is limit myself of potential buyers. Its not going to affect the price because no collecter is going to want it with those miles. The mach is special because of the rear window styling, the flat black accents, the hood, wheels, seats and dash. Also the 32 dohc and the solid rear axle. Theres a few other things but tahts pretty much it. The gloss black paint was just a color ford already had. I believe the blue was the only real creative color they had and that wasnt added until 04 I think. Im keeping everything thats mach important the same just wanting to add some color that should have been an option in the first place. I believe the point of having a mach is the low numbers lower milage higher dollar cars. Since mine is not lower milage the point of having mine is so you can have a driver your not afraid of driving.

THIS!!... lol it has 160,xxx miles on it. Its not a 12,000 plus dollar car. Its 6500 7500.

NC89GT
10-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Complete color change is where it pushes the price up. painting door jams, insides of the doors inside the trunk lid and trunk jam. It's a ton of labor for it to be done right. You'd want to pull all the windows and trim off of the car. I think you would be okay leaving the engine bay alone since it is black and would look decent with any color option. But to have it done right you are looking 8-10 easy. If you took the car apart yourself and put it back together yourself you would save some major cash.

sean
10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
I have my flame suit on and I expect some hate. Im good with that. If theres a real reason not to do it ill listen. But with the miles on it why would it matter?

sean
10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Complete color change is where it pushes the price up. painting door jams, insides of the doors inside the trunk lid and trunk jam. It's a ton of labor for it to be done right. You'd want to pull all the windows and trim off of the car. I think you would be okay leaving the engine bay alone since it is black and would look decent with any color option. But to have it done right you are looking 8-10 easy. If you took the car apart yourself and put it back together yourself you would save some major cash.

that was my main concern and what will prob end up having me just get a nice prepand a respray and new stickers. We all know my track record of keeping cars and I still want a lightning. lol 8 to 10 wound just be stupid for this car. Esp since I do like to drive it.

gouldstang
10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
give me a call,575-1585 or stop bye and we can talk about it...

chris91
10-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Dude you need to bring it to me and let me work my magic on it. After that you wont even think of repainting it itll look so good. :) You'd be amazed at what a little bit of buffing and polishing will do for a black car.

sean
10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
give me a call,575-1585 or stop bye and we can talk about it...

sounds good. Ill get with you on a day off. Maybe off this thursday.

Stangman
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Id sell my ranger to buy your Mach if someone would buy my ranger lol

mustang8998
10-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I have my flame suit on and I expect some hate. Im good with that. If theres a real reason not to do it ill listen. But with the miles on it why would it matter?

I'll try to do this from my phone.

No way am I flaming you. I just believe the car would have more value, if painted the correct color. If you think I'm wrong, then why even bother with the Mach1 decals. Thet are quite pricy themselves. Wonder how many guys painted 71 Mach1s and hurt the value, or collectability? Remember, matching numbers also includes the paint code. This is just my opinion.

BuckeyeAlex
10-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I would start with having the paint corrected, and of you're just wanting to change the look up you can change the color of the decals. I think silver or red would look great against the black.

I think with the miles on it and the fact that you said you don't keep vehicles long, I wouldn't invest the money in repainting it. If you do go that route though, I wouldn't worry about painting the engine bay since it's black, but I would for sure do the door jambs and trunk. If I were going to do a color change on a Mach 1 to something that wasn't factory on them, the only colors I'd consider would be Grabber Green or Grabber Orange, I think they would look great and be appropriate on it.

sean
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I'll try to do this from my phone.

No way am I flaming you. I just believe the car would have more value, if painted the correct color. If you think I'm wrong, then why even bother with the Mach1 decals. Thet are quite pricy themselves. Wonder how many guys painted 71 Mach1s and hurt the value, or collectability? Remember, matching numbers also includes the paint code. This is just my opinion.

One of my favorite things about the car is the sticker package. I also thitn ghig with the stickers and flat wing would look great. I think if the mach was being made now there would be a few pretty cool colors out there. I hear there may be one in the making for the near future. Also I will ask this.

As long as I have a clear title (which I do ) what would the price difference be on a 160,xxx mile original car versus one thats a color that isnt mach. Keeping in mind this is a driver with those miles. No collector is going to want one with this many miles. This is for someone who wants a mach the wont feel bad about driving.

700hp04mystic
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
heck its your car and u can do what u want. u asked our opinion and everytime one of us say something you go back to what its worth. that wasnt even the issue at hand here. i say paint her up. you keep saying its just some old high mile car, what is a 69 mach worth these days and miles wont mean crap. just saying

700hp04mystic
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
i say pink and black lol

chris91
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
i say pink and black lol

Support the TATA's!!!! :lol:

sean
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
heck its your car and u can do what u want. u asked our opinion and everytime one of us say something you go back to what its worth. that wasnt even the issue at hand here. i say paint her up. you keep saying its just some old high mile car, what is a 69 mach worth these days and miles wont mean crap. just saying

My bad dad. I didnt mean to sound that way but I guess I did. Value is all I see with cars most of the time any more. I guess I overlooked the fact that its a mach. I guess I dont really see this thing being worth anything 10 years from now as there really arent any cars I see as being instant classics my child wont be able to afford when she gets older. Lots of good points and I really do appreciate all of them.

Dirtyd0g
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
i say pink and black lol

What no purple pokadots?

sean
10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
im thinking no...lol

9cobra4
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Sean,if you're doing green, orange, just about any color, you can keep the bay and jambs black and it wouldn't look odd/bad at all. Whoever told you 10k is either, never been around a body/paint shop, or works for Chip Foose. That's just crazy money.

sean
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
I just dont want the black showing through the body lines on the trunk or hood. Fit and finish is good but there are gaps the would show the black through I would think. With the black interior I would think the black door jambs wouldnt even be noticed by most.

9cobra4
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Put your tape line at the edge of the inner fender where the bolts are, plastic over the engine and voila, no ugly tape lines and no black showing through.

Stangman
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Black on black with black stripes :drool: I want....

sean
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I am not opposed to a fresh gloss black re spray. Just thought a new green or burnt orange would look good too. Something you dont see.

2Kblacksleeper
10-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Why not fresh black with green or orange accents? Two tone? That way its still factory color with a little extra?

sean
10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I have never been a huge fan of the 2 tone.

Dirtyd0g
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM

I thought you only liked black girls :dunno:

blown96cobra
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Please do not butcher that car and repaint it some unoriginal loud ass color. Please sell me the car before u do that. The black/black Mach 1 was my second favorite new edge next to the 03 cobra. I'd hate to see it ruined.

sean
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
evry thing I have is always for sale buddy

blown96cobra
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
evry thing I have is always for sale buddy

If we can come to an agreement on price I see a black Mach in my future.

rtvickers
10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! You can sell that thing before the cruise on the 4th. Lol

My girlfriend would love that car. PM me your price and Ill run it by her (that means try to talk her into it) lol

Thats as long as blown96cobra doesnt pick it up. I dont wanna step on anyones toes.

sean
10-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! You can sell that thing before the cruise on the 4th. Lol

My girlfriend would love that car. PM me your price and Ill run it by her (that means try to talk her into it) lol

Thats as long as blown96cobra doesnt pick it up. I dont wanna step on anyones toes.

ive still got my 2011 gt I D/D. Ill bring that.

sean
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
If we can come to an agreement on price I see a black Mach in my future.

Lol. Agree on a price and come up with the money.... Before i change my mind.

Want to buy my hayabusa too?

thecollector
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Not sure what you have in it but I don't see a respray increasing the value as much as the investment in the work will cost you, let alone a color change. Cut it buff it roll it. My $0.02.

sean
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Not sure what you have in it but I don't see a respray increasing the value as much as the investment in the work will cost you, let alone a color change. Cut it buff it roll it. My $0.02.

No, I am not trying to raise the value. Just thought about a different look. It cleans up nice and the paint isnt bad at all. Just what you would expect a paint job from 2003 thats been mostly garage kept all its life. Just thought a different look would be fun. lol Didnt really want this to turn into a for sale thread but I guess every things for sale. Just figured with a car like mine with 16x,xxx miles on it wouldnt really matter if I changed it up to a color I would like to see on it.

Good advise for sure.

V8Mustang1967
10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Man if i could sell my Mustang and come up with some cash id buy that Mach. Theres only one other colored Mach that is better then Black on Black and thats Azure. Keep it black.

Goldenpony
10-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I highly recommend Bruce & Chris at Gouldstang. They did an absolutely fabulous job on my '85 GT. Paint looks better than the factory jpb. THEY DO IT RIGHT!

sean
10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I highly recommend Bruce & Chris at Gouldstang. They did an absolutely fabulous job on my '85 GT. Paint looks better than the factory jpb. THEY DO IT RIGHT!

Well see if some cash gets brought to me. If not I will be calling.

jktruckin06
10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
i'd say if you have an inkling of a thought of selling it then leave it. if you are gonna keep it and make it yours, paint it. I think ghig would be sharp with the black mach accents

sean
10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
i'd say if you have an inkling of a thought of selling it then leave it. if you are gonna keep it and make it yours, paint it. I think ghig would be sharp with the black mach accents

Im always selling what I have. If I keep it thats fine but if someone wants it and has something I want then its gone.

9cobra4
10-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Send me the number it would take to get it from you, of course the guys ahead of me have first dibs, my boss would buy this car in a heartbeat to add it to his collection.

redfirepearlgt
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
I was just at the paint store. They are fresh out of GHIG. They do have black however...LOL! Keep it black Sean. That is one of the best mach 1 color schemes ever.

sean
10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
lol. theres some decent interest from a few people on here that want to buy it. If something happens fast Ill sell it. If not its going to get painted and re stickered by someone. The color will depend on the price. It doesnt need paint but I have always liked the look of a new glossy paint job. The color will depend on price. GHIG would look good, sonic blue, black, Dont know yet. Whatever it is it will be tastefull.

Stangman
10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I just saw a black mach 1 in hyde park this evening........ forgot how much I love them. Want a ranger Sean? Lol

chris91
10-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I think a Sonic Blue Mach would look pretty damn good.