Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Truck opinions [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Truck opinions

bkstang95
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Recently sold my daily and looking to buy a truck. Will be using it to tow a boat and occasionally the Mustang. Looking at F150 supercrew or a Toyota Tundra double cab (5.7). Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Pro's/con's?

WCKDGT
10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
i work at toyota and to me the tundra"s are just way over priced! you can get twice the F150 for the price of a base tundra. plus all the managers ive talked to there would buy a f series truck over a tundra anyday

bkstang95
10-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah, brand new the Tundra are very pricey... Buying used whatever I get so both are low $20's.

V8Mustang1967
10-22-2012, 12:59 AM
I love my 2011 F150. I only have the V6 for the time being (leased) and the power is actually really nice for a V6. The 5.0 Eco-Boost and 6.2 are all amazing engines. I recommend the F150. Looks killer too. Tundra is just plain ugly to me. But i am very bias. I love my Fords and thats it.

WCKDGT
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
I love my 2011 F150. I only have the V6 for the time being (leased) and the power is actually really nice for a V6. The 5.0 Eco-Boost and 6.2 are all amazing engines. I recommend the F150. Looks killer too. Tundra is just plain ugly to me. But i am very bias. I love my Fords and thats it.

What he said.

2Kblacksleeper
10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Tundra 5.7 to fords 5.4 or 4.6 there is no question. Tundra. I like the 5.0 in the new trucks. I don't have any info on the 6.2. I owned a 08 crew max tundra with the 5.7.

I'll write a longer reply tonight. I hate typing on the phone.

beefcake
10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
i've got a nice used xlt crew with a retail of around 30k used.

online special this week for $23,795

44k miles on it.

plenty of other stuff too, but that's the best deal i have

beef
513-478-1965

i also have an 11 loaded fx4 marked around 31k that has a 37k used retail

Black Horse
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
The V6 Ecoboost in the f150's is an amazing set-up. Unless you are trailering a full size backhoe it will do everything you need.

beefcake
10-22-2012, 12:09 PM
The V6 Ecoboost in the f150's is an amazing set-up. Unless you are trailering a full size backhoe it will do everything you need.

Dave is correct,

the new ecoboost is pretty sick, especially with a tune :)

06V6Andrew
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Isn't the v6 ecoboost engine in the f150 the best engine you can get in it?

beefcake
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Isn't the v6 ecoboost engine in the f150 the best engine you can get in it?

depends on what you want,

but overall, i would say it's the best option out there

bkstang95
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Tundra 5.7 to fords 5.4 or 4.6 there is no question. Tundra. I like the 5.0 in the new trucks. I don't have any info on the 6.2. I owned a 08 crew max tundra with the 5.7.

I'll write a longer reply tonight. I hate typing on the phone.

Cool! I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about the Tundra.

2Kblacksleeper
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
It will be tomorrow. No time to get on the comp tonight.

2Kblacksleeper
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
I had an 08 for about 2 years. Black 5.7 Crew max. cloth int, 2wd.

It had the 4.30 gears in it with the 5 or 6 sp auto?

I loved the truck. Plenty of room. front and back. the whole rear window rolled down. I never had any issues in the snow with it. Never had to put any weight in it.

I had bought a a 90 GT and needed to pick it up from above dayton. I rented a uhaul trailer and went to get it. This just happened to be after a snow storm. I had no issues pulling the trailer empty. After we got the car loaded. I tied it down and set on my way back. As i had to merge on the highway. I ended up passing a car up hill going up the exit ramp. Power was never in question.

Fast forward a year. I bought my 12 GT, I also bought a 89 lx roller from a nice guy on here. I borrowed a 09 F-250 with 5.4. It was a 4x4 ext cab short bed. I rented the same trailer from uhaul. You could tell there was a little weight back there but no issues. I picked up the car from Greg and we loaded it. On the way home it was a complete dog. No passing power. It was sad.

Now there are some things I did not agree with the tundra. The factory Locker is a joke. It is really just a brake that slows the spinning wheel down. So even on the 4wd models there are acutally only 2 real wheels that will get powered. There was a company that did come out with a real locker for the rear and front. It was about 950 for each one.

With factory 255-75-18 i got around 19mpg highway. They were kinda bald though. I put a set of 285-75-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on there and went down to 15-16 mpg Highway.They were also 10ply tires. Those tires would grip anything. Never got stuck.

I never had it in for service. I have a buddy of mine service it. Steve Roark. No warranty work.

From reading online some have issues with thin paint? I wax regulary so i was not too concerned with it peeling.

The 3rd day i had the truck, my buddy was building a fence so he came to my work (Home Depot) and we loaded 1800lbs of concrete to take to his house in hammersville. the truck rode like a caddy. No complaints. It had very good brakes for a full size truck.

My friends dad owns a 12 f150 with the 5.0 and he likes it alot. I have rode in it a few times and like it. Never towed with it. It does get about 18-22 mpg. Highway.

If buying used I would consider a tundra with the 5.7 without thinking. I don't thing the 4.7 is worth it. I have owned 2000 Lightning so that 5.4 was a little different animal. I also owned a 02 F150 crew cab. I like it alot. I just dont think the 5.4 has any real ass behind it. I'm really a die hard ford guy. If you can afford a diesel then go that route.

I have always thought ford had the best interiors out of chevy and dodge. It ties with the tundra for me.

Sorry for the long winded response. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

John

2Kblacksleeper
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
http://mob294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/2kblacksleeper/2011-08-09_13-24-08_959.jpg?t=1351111746

So i hauled more than mustangs also. lol

2Kblacksleeper
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM

This is what i wanted to make mine look like.

SN95N/A
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I got a 7.3 powerstroke for sale 6 speed

thecollector
10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Id buy neither. Id go ls series and buy a gm truck. Toyotas are pricey new and hold there value way to weell. If you buy a 3 valve triton you van look forward to cam phaser issues exhaust manifold issues spark plug issues and fpdm issues(fuel pump driver module). Two valve fords are dogs and have a host of other spark plug/head/manifold issue set. Gm trucks avoid electronic automatic temp control for hvac and you'll be happy. If you don't tow often the price of a diesel truck doesn't pay itself off till the truck will be in a junk yard for a long time. I'm not sold on reliability of a twin turbo truck with a v-6 considering the last few trucks that company has produced. Research class action lawsuites against ford. Gm lawsuits are for rusty brake lines. Toyota shuts up its unhappy customers with buybacks or service. Just my 0.02.

bkstang95
10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
John - thank you for the in-depth review on the Tundra. On paper the Tundra is obviously the better choice but hearing real world examples of why helps me a lot! I was pretty set on an F150 supercrew for the longest time until I kept hearing about all of the 5.4 issues that seem to be all too common. The one I am considering has the 100k toyota certification so I don't think I can really go wrong. It will mostly be used as a daily driver with the occasional trip pulling a boat/shitbox drag car...current boat is ~8500# but looking to just get something a little easier to pull around that would be under 5,000# whatever I end up with. Hearing anything around that 5,000# mark makes these F150's work a bit! haha

As far as GM...I'd have a hard time handing over money to that company...just a personal opinion is all, really. :lol:

2Kblacksleeper
10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
The collector has good points. I like the ls series motors alot. I just dont like the truck that comes around them. I have lots of family and friends that have them and all have their quirks.

It all just boils down to what you are willing to put up with. My only unknown is about a tundra once it reaches high mileage. I dont know anyone that has one with over 125k.

You can read on the internet, but just like anything else. Take it with a grain of salt.

John

Adam@S&MMotorsports
10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
I love my 2012 crew cab FX4 with the eco boost. It pulls my 28ft enclosed filled with tools, razor, and car easily. I hate the interiors on the lower models but they are still great trucks. You are more than welcome to test drive it for a couple of days just leave me the mustang :D

thecollector
10-25-2012, 03:49 AM
My previous employer had me doing field service work as well as overseeing a fleet of gm trucks in north america. Prior to my employment at that company I was line tech @ several local ford dealerships. I was and still am a die hard Ford guy but watching those trucks be beaten day in and out and racking up 50k miles a year opened my eyes to the brand Xer's. Tuneups were an hour task-spark plugs didn't break off or blow out of the cylinder heads, life was pretty easy managment of the fleet was simple. A truck could be budgeted for 200-250k miles without major incident- just kept a small kitty for transmissions since they were tugging overloaded trailers. You can't give me a pre 99 gm truck but cost of ownership and option content for the newer trucks that have a strong track record is unbeatable. Good luck.
BTW since my departure the company has started to switch to Ecoboost V-6 fords and lets just say reliability has decreased and fuel cost (gallons vs miles) is up 14%....

2Kblacksleeper
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Good to know info.

bkstang95
10-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I love my 2012 crew cab FX4 with the eco boost. It pulls my 28ft enclosed filled with tools, razor, and car easily. I hate the interiors on the lower models but they are still great trucks. You are more than welcome to test drive it for a couple of days just leave me the mustang :D

Deal! :lol: Tell ya what, I'll leave a list of things you can work on while you have it...we'll swap back in the spring! haha

beefcake
10-25-2012, 11:00 PM
The F150's are great trucks. Every make / model of vehicle is going to have "their" own issues.

We do see some 5.4's with cam phaser issues, but we also see plenty without.

The crew F150 is going to have great room in the rear, better than anyone, it also has a flat floor if your are on one of the newer models. You can get a 48" big screen in the back

The new engines are really nice, the v6 tows more than the old 4.6, the 5.0 is really nice, but the ecoboost really works well, as Adam said.

Toyota advertises their truck as the "most horsepower", but the ford will out pull it all day long.

Their is a reason the F Series is the #1 selling truck for 35 years in a row....

yes, i am biased, but the truck backs it up

bkstang95
10-25-2012, 11:08 PM
If money was no option I would definitely go for the supercrew ecoboost. Unfortunately, just not in the budget. Tundra takes a close second to that in my opinion.

beefcake
10-25-2012, 11:12 PM
If money was no option I would definitely go for the supercrew ecoboost. Unfortunately, just not in the budget. Tundra takes a close second to that in my opinion.

whats your budget

Adam@S&MMotorsports
10-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Deal! :lol: Tell ya what, I'll leave a list of things you can work on while you have it...we'll swap back in the spring! haha

Don't think I won't slide that bitch around all winter! I sold my engine and am building a new one so I am bored currently. Give Beefcake a shot if you are in the market for a truck, he may look like a homo but he was great to do business with:lol::bigthumb

fasthawk
10-26-2012, 06:20 AM
I have towed all three of these boats with a 06 fx4 150 with the 373 gears.Already did the plugs and it was not that big a deal , exhaust manifold was just fixed under extended warranty other then that it has been fine. It you pull 8500 alot save youself the headache and get a 250 diesl and be done with it. You will feel that kind of weight behind any 1/2 ton truck and plus the brakes and everthing is smaller than a 250. Just 2 cents from personal experience.More than likely you can get a nice 250 for the price of a tundra. Don't beleive all the hype on the echoboost mpg, i got 15 or 16 during my drive time in adams truck when we went to valdosta for a race and that was empty except for luggage and 4 guy's. Also rememder you cannot use a weight dist. bays on boat trailers

28 single about 6500 12 mpg with no promblem from cumberland to detroit to sandusky
32 twin 8000 11 mpg back from detroit at 70 to 75mph all the way

32 twin 9 to 9500 short distance and it did not like that one but the trailer has small tires and the brakes did not work red and silver one in pic

bkstang95
10-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah, just looking to be as close to $20k as possible - would rather not deal with a diesel as I don't think I could justify paying for the fuel with the amount of towing (obviously only during the spring/summer).
Appreciate your real world input. Hopefully making up my mind in the next week or so! haha
Badass boat for sure! Where do you normally go?

Adam@S&MMotorsports
10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I have towed all three of these boats with a 06 fx4 150 with the 373 gears.Already did the plugs and it was not that big a deal , exhaust manifold was just fixed under extended warranty other then that it has been fine. It you pull 8500 alot save youself the headache and get a 250 diesl and be done with it. You will feel that kind of weight behind any 1/2 ton truck and plus the brakes and everthing is smaller than a 250. Just 2 cents from personal experience.More than likely you can get a nice 250 for the price of a tundra. Don't beleive all the hype on the echoboost mpg, i got 15 or 16 during my drive time in adams truck when we went to valdosta for a race and that was empty except for luggage and 4 guy's. Also rememder you cannot use a weight dist. bays on boat trailers

28 single about 6500 12 mpg with no promblem from cumberland to detroit to sandusky
32 twin 8000 11 mpg back from detroit at 70 to 75mph all the way

32 twin 9 to 9500 short distance and it did not like that one but the trailer has small tires and the brakes did not work red and silver one in pic

That was the first week I owned the truck. It must have broken in or something since then. I'm averaging about 18.5 with mixed driving. Towing don't even look it will hurt your wallet. But it's hard to bitch about fuel mileage in the tow vehicle when the boat will drink gallons per mile.:lol: I agree for a work horse buy a 3/4 ton, but for a driver that tows on weekends its hard to pass up the comfort of an ecoboost F150.

fasthawk
10-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, just looking to be as close to $20k as possible - would rather not deal with a diesel as I don't think I could justify paying for the fuel with the amount of towing (obviously only during the spring/summer).
Appreciate your real world input. Hopefully making up my mind in the next week or so! haha
Badass boat for sure! Where do you normally go?

River mainly but try to make lake cunberland pokerrun and a trip to puy-in bay. We have gone to lake stclair once for a party called jobbie nooner {goggle this it was a good time}.

fasthawk
10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
That was the first week I owned the truck. It must have broken in or something since then. I'm averaging about 18.5 with mixed driving. Towing don't even look it will hurt your wallet. But it's hard to bitch about fuel mileage in the tow vehicle when the boat will drink gallons per mile.:lol: I agree for a work horse buy a 3/4 ton, but for a driver that tows on weekends its hard to pass up the comfort of an ecoboost F150.

Could of been our driving habits too. The main thing is how far you are towing and how much.I don't know what your talking about i get somewhere around 2.5 miles to a gallon with the boat.

beefcake
10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Don't think I won't slide that bitch around all winter! I sold my engine and am building a new one so I am bored currently. Give Beefcake a shot if you are in the market for a truck, he may look like a homo but he was great to do business with:lol::bigthumb

lmao, you look in the mirror lately :flipoff: