Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Axle shaft for IRS [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axle shaft for IRS

may93
10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
My son broke the drivers side axle shaft on his Mustang Saturday at Norwalk during the Detroit Iron Day. Were looking for a axle shafts if anyone has a used one or a set for sale. Its a IRS out of a 2004 with the 31 spline.

Looking also for a possible upgrade to aftermarket axles shafts but havent decided who has the best deal regading quality and price. In the mean time I'd like to at least get the car driveable until new aftermarket axles can be purchased.

Any suggestions regarding the preferred IRS axle shafts are appreciated however this thread is not intended as a debate on whether I should go with a SRA or not. I already know and realize the benefits of each and intend to stick with the IRS.

700hp04mystic
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
good choice to stick with irs in my opinion, i sra my car and hated it and switched back. just my 2 cents everyone is diffrent.

rtvickers
10-10-2012, 04:39 PM
The only options Ive heard of are from DSS. Ive heard they arent worth the money cause they still break. Im not sure what you have done to the IRS but you have to eliminate wheel hop and reinforce the cover. Ive read some threads where they say to stick with the stock shafts. If they break they are cheaper to replace than the aftermarket ones. Ive been told that the best way to go is a Full tilt boogie kit and a brace with a soft wall tire. This is just my .02 from some reading I did last year. I decided to switch to SRA so I stopped researching it.

may93
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
The only options Ive heard of are from DSS. Ive heard they arent worth the money cause they still break. Im not sure what you have done to the IRS but you have to eliminate wheel hop and reinforce the cover. Ive read some threads where they say to stick with the stock shafts. If they break they are cheaper to replace than the aftermarket ones. Ive been told that the best way to go is a Full tilt boogie kit and a brace with a soft wall tire. This is just my .02 from some reading I did last year. I decided to switch to SRA so I stopped researching it.

The only changes as of now is the recently added Motorsport rear cover. Grenaded the stock one and drive shaft last month. Broke the axle first time back at the track. Looking at updating the bushings and I've heard the same about DSS. Not sure if Im wanting to go the Aluminum bushing route as I dont want to sacrifice the ride entirely.

rtvickers
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
The only changes as of now is the recently added Motorsport rear cover. Grenaded the stock one and drive shaft last month. Broke the axle first time back at the track. Looking at updating the bushings and I've heard the same about DSS. Not sure if Im wanting to go the Aluminum bushing route as I dont want to sacrifice the ride entirely.

Maximum Motorsports is another option for the bushings and grip packages. You may also want to check the alignment in the rear. It can cause wheel hop.

Dirtyd0g
10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Level5 makes a really nice setup for these but you better sit down before you find out what it costs. A few supercoupe guys have done the swap, they cost more than mustangs but ended up over 10gran in it.
Alan

Black Horse
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
You can give Raxles a call...they used to make a beefier set-up than stock.

www.raxles.com

Dirtyd0g
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
I think raxles is out of business they supercoupe guys broke them things like twigs.
Alan