Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any motorcycle mechanics? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcycle mechanics?

Black Horse
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm fighting an issue with a little 4-wheeler I have had for a while. Its a Suzuki 185 - about 1987 vintage. I can't get the thing to stay running. I replaced the dry rotted fuel lines, made sure the tank and filters were clean, cleaned the carb, etc.

I can get it to pop and run for a few seconds with the choke on, but any throttle it dies. It won't stay running with the choke either.

The vacuum pump fuel pump seems to be working. I may tear the carb back apart and see if I can find anything that may have found its way in.

Anyone have any words of advice or ideas?

(Damn pull start is wearing my arm out!)

mad max
06-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Pm me your number , i have a buddy who has worked on suzuki's all his life , maybe he might have some insight.

RACEME
06-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Sounds like either a jet clogged or one of the vents for the bowl is plugged up and won't let air in so fuel can get out.

Pitbull1052
06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
PM Fordfan (Kenny) Dave he's working on two basket case one's i have now

motox159
06-28-2012, 07:44 AM
^^^What RACEME said. The smallest particle will jack these things up. I would recommend a rebuild kit, new jets and all. Could be over fueling too if the air/fuel screw isn't adjusted right. Good luck!

Black Horse
06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Definately underfueling! I pulled the carb again last night, going to go through it once more. I'm betting I'll find tiny pieces of the fuel line.

Where's a good place to get a rebuild kit?

RACEME
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Definately underfueling! I pulled the carb again last night, going to go through it once more. I'm betting I'll find tiny pieces of the fuel line.

Where's a good place to get a rebuild kit?

Take a tip cleaner for a torch or a bristle from a wire brush and poke it thru the little slow jet, and make sure you can see thru the main jet. then take out the needle for the float and spray carb cleaner or brake clean thru that hole and make sure it comes out of where the fuel line attaches.

Black Horse
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Update:

Cleaned out the carb (again) - didn't find anything out of the ordinary. It fired right up and is running (sort of) now. It will run for a few minutes, then when you give it gas it dies. I have to pump the manual fuel feed a couple of times to fill the carb to get it to restart each time. It is almost as if the fuel supply is partially blocked (doubtfull), there is not enough vacuum while running to cycle the fuel pump (vacuum pump), or the pump itself is about shot.

Any thoughts? (stupid thing is driving me crazy!)

mustangrfast88
07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
sounds like a fuel pump issue will it start without any starting fluid i had a kid quad doing the same thing and it turned out i had a bad coil quad would idle but second give gas it died and find out the coil wasnt given good spark to the plug