Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Replacing the drive gear for speedo in a t5? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the drive gear for speedo in a t5?

Gstang117
06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I believe my drive gear for the speedo is *%&*'d up, Not the one that clips onto the cable but the actual one in the transmission. When I pulled the speed sensor out and checked it I could hardly move it so I replaced it with a brand new one. Put the old driven gear back on and put it in. The darn thing still wont work. moved the little gear thing on the back of the cluster gauges and the needle moved. The speedometer cable is brand new also.

Stangman
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Can you peek in there and see if its trashed?

Its not terrible to replace. Have to pull the shifter out, pull the shifter bushing out, and then knock the roll pin out of the shifter block. You have to loosen the tailshaft bolts and pull back a lil bit and then be careful when pulling the shifter block off, because the ball bearing and spring underneath will set themselves free into oblivion.

After the block is off the rail, the tailshaft will come off freely. You can now pull the tab out of the output shaft to removve the shaft driven gear. Just reverse for reinstall

Gstang117
06-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Stuck my finger up there and it felt fine but I'm not to sure on what a new one feels like. Also could the gear that clips onto the cable be the wrong one? Would that cause it not to work? Both gears that I have (one from the new and one from the old tranny) were marked 18R but the new transmission was a rebuilt. Didn't pay attention to the needle when he took it out for a test drive before I bought it.