Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Texas to open new highway with 85 MPH speed limit! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Texas to open new highway with 85 MPH speed limit!

Blackout
06-07-2012, 10:40 PM
I just seen this on MSN. I have mixed feelings on this.

Let the debate begin! :D

331lx
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Now ppl will get away with 100mph!

Moody
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Sounds like fun.

duststang
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Sweeeet, I wish Ohio wasnt so conservative. 85 would reduce my daily transit a bit.

1987LXVert
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Def wish Ohio would do this!!

Pitbull1052
06-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Sweeeet, I wish Ohio wasnt so conservative. 85 would reduce my daily transit a bit.

just find something to race all the way to work...... seems like it happens to me once a morning. I got to work today and another guy was like was that your red streak this morning I said was there a black streak behind it..... yup that was me with a new Camaro in the vapor trail.... made it from Amelia to Hebron in about 15 min. :O)

sean
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
this area wont even pull the trigger on 70 mph highways.. lol Who the hell does 65 any way. Theres to much money made from all the traffic stops to change anything. That and people cant even drive right on a nice sunny day going 65 so 85 around here would just be a joke.

cstreu1026
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I'd hate to see how much more gas you use when the speed limit is 85. I know on the trip to my inlaws I lost 1-2 mpg when Kentucky raised the speed limit from 65 to 70.

1987LXVert
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah I'd stand to deal with a little drop in mpg if it were to ever pass

mad max
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I thought the interstate didnt have a speed limit ? Thats what it seems like everytime im on it. People are always flying by me and we run 70 in our rollback.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Consider how careless the average driver can be, and realize that half the population is below that average.

It's just gonna make legal what people do everyday allow them to drive even faster. 85+mph and texting are gonna mix real nice.

mustangboy
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Its not the speed that is the danger. It is the people who drive too slow that are the ones who are more likely to cause accidents. If people truly used the fast lane as the passing lane as it is meant to be used highway accidents would significantly drop. It is the idiots who drive in the fast lane doing the speed limit or even under that causes people to have to pass on the right that and that is where the danger occurs. Of course there are the major asshats who swerve in and out of traffic like crazy but even that would be reduced if people actually drove the highways the way they should be driven. I wish law enforcement would focus more on people passing on the right and people driving to slow in the fast lane than simply focus on speeders. Instead of the complete waste of money public service announcements regarding click it or ticket they should make psa's reminding people of actually how to drive, that would save alot more lives.

mustangjon
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Exactly i love watching people get on hwy and go straight across 4 lanes with no other traffic in sight

Katmandu
06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Its not the speed that is the danger. It is the people who drive too slow that are the ones who are more likely to cause accidents.

If people truly used the fast lane as the passing lane as it is meant to be used highway accidents would significantly drop. I'll be damned! Something MB and me agree on! :rockon:

ODOT needs to put up more signs..... SLOWER TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT and LEOs NEED to enforce this!

sean
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I find myself passing slow people that sit in the fast lane more than anything.

mustangjon
06-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I find since i moved to oh beinh in the right lane ive dubbed the buckeye fast lane

cstreu1026
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I heard someone make a very good point about such a high speed limit today on the radio. If the limit is 85 you will probably see cars approaching 1000mph on a regular basis. How many cars are on the road are built and maintained well enough to endure that? Throw in the Texas heat and AAA might as well just have tow truck stationed periodically along the road.

mad max
06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I heard someone make a very good point about such a high speed limit today on the radio. If the limit is 85 you will probably see cars approaching 1000mph on a regular basis. How many cars are on the road are built and maintained well enough to endure that? Throw in the Texas heat and AAA might as well just have tow truck stationed periodically along the road.

Cam , are you trying to get me to move to texas ? I tow some stuff that i cant believe people still drive .

cstreu1026
06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
I am sure there would be no shortage of work.

Markcore
06-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Texas guy I work with said this has been in effect since the begining of the year. He said 100mph and you'll get passed!!!!!!!

IWRBB
06-09-2012, 02:00 PM
My thoughts:

It's a toll road in Tx with the 85 MPH limit. So they aren't really bound by federal speed limit requirements the way the states are. Ohio has two roads that are 70 MPH limits, both are toll roads.

Texting and high speeds? Well, if you are doing 90-100 MPH, you focus more on the road than you do at 60. I think by nature people are less likely to text and do other things the faster they allowed to drive.

As for the left lane campers.. again, I think the faster the traffic is allowed to travel in the left lane, the more the slower traffic will stay out of the left lane. If the speed limit is posted at 55, even the most timid drivers feel like they can do that and the end up in the left lane blocking people trying to do 75-80 mph. If the limit actually is 85 mph, they are a lot of drivers who would no longer venture over into the fast lane where those "maniacs" are doing 100 MPH (!).

Most of our Interstates in Ohio have a 70 MPH design speed for the horizontal and vertical curves, so that limits the ultimate speed limit for most of our Ohio interstates. They are some sections we go go higher, but it's have to be flat and straight areas.

1987LXVert
06-09-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree with the post earlier it will never happen in Ohio

02mingryGT
06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd hate to see how much more gas you use when the speed limit is 85. I know on the trip to my inlaws I lost 1-2 mpg when Kentucky raised the speed limit from 65 to 70.

I drove to Atlanta in 2004 and averaged 90+ in at the time my bone stock 02 GT. I got 26.5 mpg. It isn't the speed but the constant up and down that kills the mileage.

Its not the speed that is the danger. It is the people who drive too slow that are the ones who are more likely to cause accidents. If people truly used the fast lane as the passing lane as it is meant to be used highway accidents would significantly drop. It is the idiots who drive in the fast lane doing the speed limit or even under that causes people to have to pass on the right that and that is where the danger occurs. Of course there are the major asshats who swerve in and out of traffic like crazy but even that would be reduced if people actually drove the highways the way they should be driven. I wish law enforcement would focus more on people passing on the right and people driving to slow in the fast lane than simply focus on speeders. Instead of the complete waste of money public service announcements regarding click it or ticket they should make psa's reminding people of actually how to drive, that would save alot more lives.

I'll be damned! Something MB and me agree on! :rockon:

ODOT needs to put up more signs..... SLOWER TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT and LEOs NEED to enforce this!

Went to Mid Ohio yesterday and Columbus is the epicenter for slow left lane drivers. It is definitely these stupid people that cause the majority of the accidents. I ran 80+ and my biggest issue was the morons running 65 in the left lane with no one in the right lane.

These newer cars can definitely do it. but in my opinion another states right issue. it should be up to the individual states to make that decision. Really though, in another 10 years the effing car will be driving itself.