Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Strangest Clutch Failure I've Seen [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Clutch Failure I've Seen

Black Horse
06-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I had my clutch lock-up at VIR a couple of weekends ago. The clutch would not release (couldn't start the car in gear with the pedal depressed). Cable and pedal feel (stiff) felt normal. Tried to start it in gear to separate the clutch disc from the flywheel - didn't work.

I finally pulled everything apart tonight and found that the urethane cast around the clutch plate springs had pieces that were broken off, the pieces found their way between the plate and the flywheel. The heat melted the urethane - the clutch still worked well on the track, but once everything cooled, the melted urethane acted like glue and cemented the plate to the flywheel. I had to pry the two apart (the plate material separated - its still stuck to the flywheel).

The big question is how to make the repair - scrape the melted urethane off the flywheel, try to melt it off with a torch, or pull the flywheel and get it re-surfaced.

What a pain in the arse!

Gene
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I think you're going to have to pull it and get it resurfaced. Scraping it isn't going to give you a clean enough surface.

What brand of clutch was this?

Black Horse
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I believe it was a McLeod. I might just go ahead and replace the flywheel with an aluminum unit since I am in it this far.

Mista Bone
06-05-2012, 11:46 PM
New flywheel and an unsprung disc.

Got any pics of the disc?

Gene
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
New flywheel and an unsprung disc.

That's a good point. Why run an sprung disc in a race car?

Stangman
06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
My friend had that happen in his foxbody years ago after he did a powerslide around a corner.

Black Horse
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
That's a good point. Why run an sprung disc in a race car?

Any reccomendations for clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel?

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I think you're going to have to pull it and get it resurfaced. Scraping it isn't going to give you a clean enough surface.

What brand of clutch was this?

Ditto. Scrape off what you can and get the flywheel resurfaced. It shouldn't take much at all to get it off. You could be due for it anyway?

Gene
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Any reccomendations for clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel?

I'm a fan of ACT's products. I've done a few of their clutches in imports and I've been impressed with the feel. Their flywheels are downright sexy.

They do a 6 puck unsprung disc for your car.

Check your PMs. :)

Black Horse
06-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Flywheel definitely needs to be replaced - found a few hairline cracks.

Racing is tough on parts! ~lol~

redfirepearlgt
06-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I've learned if the tranny is out don't cheap out. Do it all. No reason to pull it again in 6 months to do the whole thing again because of failed parts. i went cheap and did not repalce the slave cylinder when I upgraded my clutch some years back. One year later i was replacing it all again. This time EVERYTHING was replaced. No more issues. I went Exedy on flywheel ad clutch package. They make a chromemolysteel flywheel that weighs only 16lb. for the edge body and a Mach 500 clutch package as well. I love mine.