Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Career advice (Logistics industry) [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Career advice (Logistics industry)

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Thought I would see if anyone on here had any insight on this industry...

A buddy of mine has presented me with an opportunity to work with him at his company. Would be a working as a freight broker as a 1099 contractor. This would be a huge change for me as I currently have a pretty steady income (salary plus commission) right now, but can't see it going anywhere much further than where I'm at right now.

I have heard some good and bad things about this job...any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pitbull1052
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
ask Blue 5.8 he's in the industry as his family owns a trucking company........

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Will do. Thanks for the heads-up!

Katmandu
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm noticing more big rigs on the road nowadays.... Sure sign the economy is improving. :bigthumb

DSSKing68
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
TQL is hiring a bunch, and building another facility in Union Township....so it must be a good occupation.

qwk93ta
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a friend that worked for TQL, he could not stand it. He lasted about 10 months and then moved on to a new job. He said a few people make a good living, but most struggle to earn decent money.

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes, TQL is great if you are on the top of the pyramid...otherwise you are a glorified assistant for someone else making the money.

Gene
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
TQL is hiring a bunch, and building another facility in Union Township....so it must be a good occupation.

TQL is a meat-grinder operation though. They hire smart young salespeople and work them to death. You can make good money there, but you have to prepare yourself for 80 hours workweeks and sleeping with your BlackBerry.

I've known a few people that work in the logistics business, both at TQL and others. You can make damn good money doing it, but it's tough to get started. If you don't have existing contacts in the trucking industry it could take a while to get the traction to make serious money. I'd be a little wary of a company that will only take you on as a 1099 contractor (I assume this is commission-only). They don't have a vested interest in your success, because if you fail it doesn't cost them anything.

If you want to be in that industry, it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend a year at a company like TQL learning the business before striking out on your own (depending on the details of TQL's non-compete, of course).

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
TQL is a meat-grinder operation though. They hire smart young salespeople and work them to death. You can make good money there, but you have to prepare yourself for 80 hours workweeks and sleeping with your BlackBerry.

I've known a few people that work in the logistics business, both at TQL and others. You can make damn good money doing it, but it's tough to get started. If you don't have existing contacts in the trucking industry it could take a while to get the traction to make serious money. I'd be a little wary of a company that will only take you on as a 1099 contractor (I assume this is commission-only). They don't have a vested interest in your success, because if you fail it doesn't cost them anything.

If you want to be in that industry, it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend a year at a company like TQL learning the business before striking out on your own (depending on the details of TQL's non-compete, of course).

Yeah, the 1099 aspect seems to worry me a little as well, but none of the companies in the business seem to offer anything in terms of a salary. TQL words it as such, but it is truly a draw against what you will make in the future...so they actually start you off in the hole!
I was really leaning towards your idea of going there for a year to learn the "in's and out's" but I honestly just don't think I could do their numbers game there. They seem to use th approach of "throw enough shit at the wall and see if something sticks" there. Just what I am hearing from previous and current employees though.

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Has anyone had any experience with any other companies not related to TQL...I'd almost just compare that to a whore house! :lol:

SN95N/A
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
I had my own flatbed business and worked thru a lot of brokers,alfr8,network fob,pavestone,bedrock and plenty of others and they was all very busy so I would say they have plenty of work so should be decent money depending on who u work for.If you go to pickatruckload.com that's the board I generally worked off of it will show you how busy those guys are.

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks! I'll start looking over there and see what I can find.

Did you decide to get out of that business since you said "had"?

Pitbull1052
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
the only problem is if you go to work for TQL you won't be able to work in the industry for 3 years after you leave there as they make you sign a pretty legit non compete trust me my cousin worked there and noone will touch him because TQL finds out and sues the shit out of the company you go to work for.

SN95N/A
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
I work for lykins oil company now I was doing it long enough to get on there I deliver fuel now to gas stations and airports.

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
the only problem is if you go to work for TQL you won't be able to work in the industry for 3 years after you leave there as they make you sign a pretty legit non compete trust me my cousin worked there and noone will touch him because TQL finds out and sues the shit out of the company you go to work for.

That is what I hear. My buddy actually came from there before the non-competes came into play, but yeah, I def don't want to get myself locked into something like that!

Pitbull1052
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
i know he's been trying to go to work for my buddy Jimmy but they've had issues in the past with hiring ex TQL employee's........ funny that TQL was listed as one of the top 10 companies to work for in 2012 they didnt mention any of that in the news story lol

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Minor details! lol

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Is Jimmy the guy on here?

blue5.8
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
yes i am jimmy we own our own brokerage company

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Gotcha! I didn't catch your name...I'll be calling you! haha

blue5.8
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
sounds good man what is the name of your buddies company?

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
It is called Platinum Worldwide Expediting, LLC....every heard of them?

blue5.8
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
never herd of them what is there mc number ?

jktruckin06
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
"Prestige worldwide wide wide"... lol

Like the others are saying, freight hauling and brokerage are such cut throat industries. The money is there to be made, even with a down economy. You just have to get in the door and get your piece of the action. Good luck in your endeavor!

jktruckin06
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh and on a side note, my buddy just started with ARK dispatch up in mason. He was a driver and seems to like it so far.

Pitbull1052
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
"Prestige worldwide wide wide"... lol

Like the others are saying, freight hauling and brokerage are such cut throat industries. The money is there to be made, even with a down economy. You just have to get in the door and get your piece of the action. Good luck in your endeavor!

BOATS AND HOES!!!!!!!!!

bkstang95
05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
never herd of them what is there mc number ?

It is an agency under LDi (Logistic Dynamics, Inc)...does that help any?

blue5.8
05-31-2012, 02:07 PM
no we will talk more after 5

DSSKing68
05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
BOATS AND HOES!!!!!!!!!

TOTALLY stole my next line....LOL

bkstang95
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Jimmy, thanks again for taking the time to talk to me about all of this! Greatly appreciated! Definitely owe you a track burger and a beer! haha