Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
clay bar for my 12 gt today. Any tips or tricks? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : clay bar for my 12 gt today. Any tips or tricks?

2Kblacksleeper
05-17-2012, 04:22 AM
I'm going to clay my car for the first time after work today. Then polish and wax.
Any tips or tricks claying?

John

Goober
05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Keep it lubed, and fold often.

redfirepearlgt
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Don't bear down. Let the weight of the clay do the work. Small areas at a time. Lots of clean microfiber clothes.

Maximus
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Don't bear down. Let the weight of the clay do the work. Small areas at a time. Lots of clean microfiber clothes.

Both of those! I Clay'd my car and it turned out Great!!

AntiRice427
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
If the car is dirty I wash it first and leave it wet. After I'm done claying I wash it again and dry it, then wax. I don't see any point in claying a brand new car though. How long have you had it? We just got a new car and I probably won't do it unit fall.

2Kblacksleeper
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I've had it since Sept. It's not been waxed yet. I've been thinking about not drying after washing but do i just use plain water, soapy water, or the detail spray that came with meguires clay kit?

I'm stuck at work so I may not get to it till Saturday.

Thanks for all the advice.

AntiRice427
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Use the detail spray. I clay and wax my lights to.

2Kblacksleeper
05-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

Looks like i'm not going to get to it today. Ended up staying late at work. Im not off till next weekend now.

I will come up to the cruise on sunday but it will be 4 when i get there. Sadly the car will be dirty though. Thats ok, I will just refer to her as my dirty girl. lol

John

chris91
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Everything said is right on par. Keep it lubed and keep the clean side on the paint. Being a new car doesn't mean it wont need clayed. You would be amazed with the contaminants they can have. I've done quite a few brand new car that had major rail dust from being on trains or even just being by the tracks at the factory.

BIGRED Z
05-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Zaino always recommended washing with dawn so any wax on the car is stripped off prior to claybarring. Then...follow above instructions.

Mbubby61
05-19-2012, 04:37 PM
We should have a detail party sometime! Tips''do n don't,, nothing like on the job training.. I tried clay baring my 83 n just seemed to smear the clay'''' are the older finishes not supposed to be clay barred ?

BIGRED Z
05-22-2012, 07:04 AM
We should have a detail party sometime! Tips''do n don't,, nothing like on the job training.. I tried clay baring my 83 n just seemed to smear the clay'''' are the older finishes not supposed to be clay barred ?

The clay will smear if done in full sun on blistering metal or without proper lube. Move to the shade and lube her up good with detailing spray as you clay.

redfirepearlgt
05-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Why does the car wash scene from "Cool Hand Luke" come to mind? "Takin' off over hear boss..."

For the younger audience a video clip reference has been provided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kliy32YWFcU

timdsellers
05-29-2012, 12:03 AM
After you spend all the time claying and detailing it I would wash it often so the grime doesnt get a chance to set back in. That way it stays smooth for a long time. Its crazy how much smoother the surface feels between claying and just wash and wax. A lot of the gunk just cant be seen but sure can be felt.

Night/MareCobra
06-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Also dont go in circles...try to follow the body lines or at least in 1 direction

IWRBB
06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't see any point in claying a brand new car though.

Believe me, new cars need it worse than anything. We've had two new Fords in the family in the last year and both were really bad. You could wash it, wax it, and a nice microfiber towel would still hang on thousands of little "snags" if you try to slide it across the paint. Hit it with clay and re-wax, and it's just like glass. New cars are nowhere near clean.