Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Optima Battery [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery

qwk93ta
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know where I can get an optima battery for my 95 GT, I called several places and they don't have any...autozone, walmart, advanced auto

Thanks for the help....

Gstang117
02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Napa carries red blue and yellow tops may have to order in one from the dc but they can get em

qwk93ta
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
thanks.....

relaxednoma
02-02-2012, 08:28 AM
say what? Autozone around here (NKY) has the yellow, red and blue tops in stock behind the counter.

facemelter71
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Interstate Batteries carries them in stock.There store is over in fairfield.

Black Horse
02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Craig at Cincy Speed can get them as well (I think)

Evolved
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Got mine on Ebay, about $70.00 cheaper than all the stores around here and it only took 2 days to get here. One of the sellers on there is from Indiana.

leroy93lx
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I've bought 5 or 6 of them from Autozone. They have big displays of them at all of the local ones around here

cobraman302
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I have one in my garage, and in the for sale forum here! $70 and it is yours. Optima Red Top used about 5 times on my Cobra.

Blackout
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I have also been thinking about getting one, but, I remember a bunch of people saying they having problems with them. I think it was something to do with the longevity. I don't want to spend good money for a battery that goes bad in a year...

If any of you all have them....let us know how they have held up.

bobtsgt
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Optimas are fine. i've had my red top for almost 4 years now with no problems. wouldn't hesitate to get another

Black92LX
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Only thing good about Optima is the warranty.
I replaced my 3 times in two years.
Dumped it for a Motorcraft. Still going strong.

qwk93ta
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I spent 2 hours this morning looking for an Optima size 58, could not find one. I went with an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus for $96

cobraman302
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Poor Guy. http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78050

80 hate
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I have had Optima's before and to be honest for my needs they are not worth the money. I have a Motorcraft also and works just fine. Save your money and spend it on something else.

Goldenpony
02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I bought an Optima once, decided it wasn't worth the money. Some people seem to think an Optima adds HP. For my money, you can't beat an Interstate Megatron. ;)

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-02-2012, 04:17 PM
I bought a yellow top because they're supposed to be able to take a charge even if you run them dead. Well mine sat for 15 months and was dead and guess what? It wouldn't take a charge. POS. I got mine at Pepboys. They're over priced hype if you ask me.

Evolved
02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I had a yellow top years ago and drained it dead many times and every time it came back and never gave me a problem for years. I had it in two different vehicles then sold the truck I last had it in. I have had 3 optimas and all have been great.

I have one in my Mustang now and it has been sitting for 4 months without being started until sat. and it fired right up.

mad max
02-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Im glad yours did ricky cause the cobra has a red top in it and when i went to start it , deader than a door nail.

cobraman302
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
People seem to think the optima batteries are magic. Like they never go dead, like you can put them into a pile of ahit car and leave it sit for a year and it start right up lol.

Blackout
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
What is the difference in the red, blue and yellow tops? Just wondering, I havn't really looked at them up close but I know at some point they were the best battery on the market.

qwk93ta
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
People seem to think the optima batteries are magic. Like they never go dead, like you can put them into a pile of ahit car and leave it sit for a year and it start right up lol.

That's why I have a few trickle chargers in my garage......they come in handy.

Evolved
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM

People as in me? Mine sat and it started without a problem, but all batteries die not just Optima's. Everybody here is acting like an Optima is the only battery to give people problems, I bought my optima because the battery I bought from Advance brand new could not sit for 2 days and still start my car, my Optima has sat since probably Oct. and saturday I went out and started it and it had no problem.

cobraman302
02-02-2012, 11:45 PM
People as in me? Mine sat and it started without a problem, but all batteries die not just Optima's. Everybody here is acting like an Optima is the only battery to give people problems, I bought my optima because the battery I bought from Advance brand new could not sit for 2 days and still start my car, my Optima has sat since probably Oct. and saturday I went out and started it and it had no problem.

I wasnt directing the statement towards anyone in particular. I was in general stating that most people seem to have negative things to say about that when they expect these batteries to work magic.... That's all. I had my concerns when I bought the battery as well, after reading some reviews. But I don't take much stock in Internet reviews/opinions anymore. The battery sat on my bench for 5 months when I bought it, put it in the car and she started right up....so I don't have any compalints myself as of yet. BUT I am personally a motorcraft battery fan.

Evolved
02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I personally think all batteries anymore are made cheap and most don't last. I even bought a very expensive mini battery from a reputible company on line that was supposed to start my old DSM only to get it and it barely crank a 7.8:1 compression 4 cylinder. So back it went, they did not even try to make an excuse as of why it would'nt work. I have another mini battery and it is worthless if it sits for a while, they don't have the shelf life.

I agree with most here an Optima is not worth the money the stores charge but the price I paid was only about $15 more so I jumped on it.

fuel10922
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I have used them in my old hot rods in the past where I was concerned with acid leaking. Yes.... even a sealed top will leak when its strapped down to the floor of a 1930 Model A.

I never had good luck with the optima's, but I didn't drive the old hot rods very much which isn't good for any battery. I just don't think they are worth the extra cash.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-03-2012, 04:11 PM

I didn't expect it to start right up, but i did expect it to jump start or the very least take a charge since that's what the damn thing is advertised to be good for. I actually did have a Diehard that sat for 2 years in a car and still held juice.

bestracing
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I bought a yellow top because they're supposed to be able to take a charge even if you run them dead. Well mine sat for 15 months and was dead and guess what? It wouldn't take a charge. POS. I got mine at Pepboys. They're over priced hype if you ask me.

One of the biggest mistakes people make with an Optima battery is to leave them sit. They can't sit for long periods of time without being charged. Best thing to do on vehicles that sit for prolonged periods is to put a battery tender on them to keep them at peak charge and keep the plates in good condition.

Another problem with the dry cell batteries is that not all chargers can charge a dry cell battery, especially once they drop below ~10V. You need to hook up a good wet cell battery in parallel with the optima for it to accept a charge.

uknowho1702
02-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Pretty much any descent car audio store will have them..I like the stinger batteries better though, smaller, lighter, same cca and last just as long in a racing application