PDA

View Full Version : 4.10 gear install

93fox5.0
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
ok so im really thinking about going 4.10 along with a lsd in my foxbody. I have decent experience working with cars. With that said do you think that this is something i could do by myself at home? What would i need? If not were could i take it and about how much would it cost? Thanks

90fastgt
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Adam at s an m does them I would say you would be looking at around 350 bucks if you already the gears an differential its not a bad job just time consuming an if its not rite your goin to get whining from the rear end or worse blow your rear end apart I know you need a torque wrench dial indicator with a base am I know alot of guys use a pinion depth tool there's prolly shortcuts you can do to save time but I haven't messed with them enough to know an I'm not an expert so don't take this to heart I just looked into it not to long ago

cobradon
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Outlaw Motorsports put a 410good in my 99checking cobra.Great guy fair price have had no problems.

331lx
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Contact dirtydog he reasonable priced

NXcoupe
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
ok so im really thinking about going 4.10 along with a lsd in my foxbody. I have decent experience working with cars. With that said do you think that this is something i could do by myself at home? What would i need? If not were could i take it and about how much would it cost? Thanks

Its not too difficult if you have the right tools and a selection of side shims. Ido them for 250 or less in foxbodies. I have new gear install packages starting at 429 including new FRPP gear, install labor and fluids. S&M or cincy speed also support this site and do good work too.

duststang
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
not sure where you are located but might want to talk to bbfstanger he might help you out and save some $$$? most places want $350ish and that is with you providing gear and fluids. (Nx coupe) $429 is a good deal for everything.

03z06vette
01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
If its a ford motorsport gear and you provide the oil,seals and gaskets. ill do the swap for 175. cash.

duststang
01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
If its a ford motorsport gear and you provide the oil,seals and gaskets. ill do the swap for 175. cash.

that seems very reasonable.

93fox5.0
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
All good offers. I will have to hit you guys up when i get all of my parts ordered. Gears, lsd, and diff cover should be getting ordered really soon. Thanks everyone

03z06vette
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
that seems very reasonable.

I have done this swap so many times...

fastnotch2002
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
its not really hard to do if you have a shim kit, marking compound and a dial idicator. :cool2:

Dirtyd0g
02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
its not really hard to do if you have a shim kit, marking compound and a dial idicator. :cool2:

You say that and I see more botched gear installs than I do correct gear installs. That said I agree it isn't hard to do...It isn't easy to do right. If you want silencemdurability and leak free you need the correct parts,the correct tools,experience and patience. not to mention a serious attention to detail. The ability to say "no that isn't good enough" and do it over and over if you have to. Cheap gears make it impossible to get right and cheap seals make it leak. I am very picky I use only OEM ford pinion seals and solid pinion spacers with timken bearings and OEM gears. Anybody that doesn't want to have it done that way can take it somewhere else.
Alan

03z06vette
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
? if yoour using a ford gear there is no need to shim anything. all you do is reuse the oe ones. i have used this method many times. with no problems EVER

Dirtyd0g
02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree with that, unless it is really high mileage or you use chinese bearings. For really high mileage if you get a shim that is the thickness the original one was before the bearing spun on it you'll be ok but it is hard to figure that. Carrier shims usually stay the same with an OEM trac lok but not always. Aftermarket carriers are a sure sign you will have to shim it differently. Don't forget to add some backlash for used gears. Too many people want tight backlash and it is a bad deal, they get hot and bind up. .008 is minimum, .010 is average, add .002 for aluminum case.
Alan