Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
First apartment questions [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First apartment questions

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm moving out and I'm completely lost on what to do. I've found a couple of apartments I can afford but I haven't done anything else further. How do I go about getting one and what do I need to watch out for?

qwk93ta
01-16-2012, 01:33 PM
1) are they asking for a deposit? Some will not and may give you a free months rent.
2) how long of a lease do you have to sign?
3) you will need to get cable, unless you don't watch TV.
4) put duke energy in your name unless heat is included. Duke may ask for a deposit if you have limited or poor credit.
5) make sure you do a walk through and look for any damage because once you are in it's going to be blamed on you.

03z06vette
01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Get renters ins. its like 40 bucks a year!!

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Why do you need to put duke energy in my name? Not for sure about the deposit nor did I ask for the length of the lease so I'll check back with you on that. Also don't really watch much tv plus I can't really afford it on my budget, so I should be good there. Does renters Insurance cover theft?

Gene
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Generally speaking Duke doesn't ask for a deposit on a residential account unless you've fucked them over the past.

jktruckin06
01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Call local police stations for crime reports... Don't make your decision from one visit, go and hang in the parking lot to see what kind of traffic the place has and how the people behave... Check out the parking situation, it always bothered me when people that don't live at a place park up front or when someone has 10 cars that use all the spots... I always found that living closer to the rental office is better, there's alot more activity than in the back corner... like the other guys said, see what all is included or not, ie water, heat in the winter... more of my personal opinions are just I always like the top floor and living in a building with old people lol...

do you have any areas you are looking?

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
The one apartment I'm looking at I've lived at partially before when my parents divorce happened. But I was like 12 and only spend thursday nights there. It's called Aster Court in germantown, layout was a 1bd or studio. One story building, some creepy people and low rent.

jktruckin06
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
i mean it really all depend on your situation... if affordability is first and foremost then take what you can get... creepy people aren't always bad haha

if it's one story you won't have people above you which is a plus. try and get a unit in the middle, it'll help to keep you insulated.

i always move my electronics in at night too... call me paranoid

qwk93ta
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Why do you need to put duke energy in my name? Not for sure about the deposit nor did I ask for the length of the lease so I'll check back with you on that. Also don't really watch much tv plus I can't really afford it on my budget, so I should be good there. Does renters Insurance cover theft?

If you are responsible for the utilities you will be required to contact Duke and set up an account in your name to pay for the gas and/or electricity you use each month.

Gene
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
some creepy people and low rent.

That's pretty much going to be the rule if you live in a cheap apartment.

sean
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
It may help just to post up what price range your looking at monthly. We can suggest things from there. If you have someone that can move in with you it can make it a but easier too. Doesn't always work out but worth a shot.

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm looking at spending around 300, the bare minimum. I'm working a minimum paying job, but will hopefully be getting a raise. If not.. Well then I'll need to start looking for a better paying job. I don't have anyone to move in with at this time, so I'm stuck there.

jktruckin06
01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
that aster court only has 1 good review i can find... but no bad reviews! water is included, that saves yu some money... get some cfl bulbs and keep lights off and you'll be golden there

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Alright, how would I go about getting the electricity set up?

jktruckin06
01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Well when you sign the lease you get a move in date. You then usually have to call duke before your move in date and they come do a reading and you start being charged. It's really simple, just a call to start new service. The landlord might even give you a sheet with the number you need to call.

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Alright, thanks alot for all the help guys.

sean
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
300 a month for rent? Or for all the bills including rent

Gstang117
01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
All bills including rent. I can go a bit higher but not much..

sean
01-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Dude. Are you in a spot where you have to leave where your at now? what kind of place can you get for that? I don't think theres any way you can live on your own for 300 a month for all your bills. Electric, food, rent, gas for the car. I just don't think that is possible. Also seems like an area where you could live for 300 a month would be kinda dangerous. are you out in the country or in the city?

90fastgt
01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Man 300 a month is goin to be tough with how expensive stuff is nowadays if its not a must I think I would stay where your at an save up an wait on your raise its nice to be out on your own but you don't want to struggle to do it I can understand if its a must though an I would definitely look for a roommate or something

Dirtyd0g
01-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I am anti apartments. I suggest looking for a very cheap small house that you can buy on land contract. To make it work you have to live cheap, watch your credit and do your best to increase the value of the property any way you can. If you have good credit after a couple years you can get a loan and buy it. I know the perfect house for you here but I don't think batavia is where you want to be.
Alan

Rick93coupe
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
I'd want to know if there was a pool and a gym, is it close to a college and where's the closest place to buy condems?

Gstang117
01-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately yes, I've got to leave by the 5th. The way I look at it I make close to 500 for two weeks. So I've got a little less than a 1000 a month. Phone bill will be around 35-50 bucks. Electricty for a place may be about the same but I'm not for sure.
Gas is 60 bucks a week but it may get cut down a little bit because I'm moving closer and i wont be able to do anything. And then insurance for my jeep is 135. Add that all up and if I'm doing the math correctly I've got around 650 leaving my pocket. Then there is food, clothing, etc. thats gonna be ontop of that.

Dirtyd0g: Yes lol, Right now I want to stay close to my job until I find an actual career.
Rick: You've probably heard of the place, Aster Courts in Germantown. Right over by Doctor Watson's and Captain 9's. Everything's within walking distance.

bobtsgt
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Do you have a cell phone? if so use that instead of a land line. you wouldn't need cable if you have a PS3 and a internet connection of some sorts. Basic internet alone is roughly $40 a month. If you get to know your neighbors you may be able to split the cost of internet with them and use their signal. May want to make a list with needs and wants and see where you end up. Electric and gas in my 3 bd room is about $130 a month and thats keeping it around 65 most of the time. Food is around $140 a week with 3 people. you might have to stick with the dollar menu and some serious coupon cutting to keep the food end down.

sean
01-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Where are you working making 500 for two weeks? Go get a second job and after you move replace the 500 every two week job. Go wait tables or deliver pizza at night. You can make an extra two to three hundred dollars working a few hours a night for four nights a week. If you do find a place for that low of rent try to get a month to month lease or just a 6 month lease. That way you can get out of there as soon as you find a room mate or can afford better. Look into some extended stay motels too. Theres one close to masonthat is around 400 month. Then you wouldn't have to pay got the electric, heat, or air. You would also have atv and cable. At a hotel you wouldn't have to sign a lease either. The one down by mason is nice and is right by fields ertle and the highway. Mason inn. Theres also hotel 6 over there that has special rates on monthly stays.

leroy93lx
01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
My wife has a good friend that has seriously went the craigslist route to find housing. People who have larger homes and extra rooms rent them out. She would literally go through interviews with them and look at the housing, neighborhood , amenities and cost. Obviously you have to watch for scams and piece of shit roommates but it has worked great for her while her husband is over seas playing basketball. If your budget is that tight , looking for a better paying job would be a high priority. Have you looked into government subsidized housing? With that income, depending on your situation , you may qualify. Good luck man

RIXXX93GT
01-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Your going to need people to share the costs. I would suggest seriously looking into rooming with someone that has a place already, apartment, house whatever. Work out a deal where you pay a flat rate. Craigslist may be your best bet.

RIXXX93GT
01-17-2012, 02:01 PM
http://dayton.craigslist.org/roo/2795545961.html

Gstang117
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
BobstGt: I'm setting up my own here within the week. I've got an xbox but it doesn't have a web browser so I may be going to direction. I have a feeling I'm gonna be living off ramen for a while lol
Sean: Napa. Still a parts driver even though I try to do just about anything and everything, been training on the counter at nights for two months now. And I'll definitely look into the extended stay hotels. But thanks
Leroy: I think that would be a last ditch effort, I don't want to depend on the government even if its for a couple of months.
Rixx: I've been asking around, might have a roomate, but It's still up in the air. Thanks for that Craigslist post, I'll look into it