Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Vehicle trade question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle trade question

Gstang117
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I may be trading my Jeep for a different vehicle but I have never done a trade before. How would I go about doing this without getting screwed over? Is there anything I should watch out for besides making sure that the title doesn't have a lean on it?

Black92LX
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Same as buying a car.
Just make sure it is of equal or greater value of what you are trading for.

Blackout
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
just know what your car is worth and know what your trading for is worth. Also make sure that it is what you want. I hate TAKERBACKERS...LOL

Gstang117
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Well I'll be downgrading, probably not in value but in height. Motor and transmission are both the same but it's about 2 inches shorter.
Only thing I'm worried about is that bubble right behind the door, usually when that happens your floorboards are about to go.
Picture uploaded is what he wants to trade.

this is my jeep.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee480/Gstang117/Linda.jpg

Blackout
12-06-2011, 10:27 PM
My experience with jeeps and playtoys like jeeps, your better off just keeping what you got. You know what your vehicle has got done to it and what can be possibly wrong with it.

Gstang117
12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I've had the thing for almost 4 months now and still figuring out things that the previous redneck owner messed up and the original owner had wired or installed. :/

ojsherbergt
12-06-2011, 10:43 PM
My experience with jeeps and playtoys like jeeps, your better off just keeping what you got. You know what your vehicle has got done to it and what can be possibly wrong with it.

x2 wranglars are rust buckets and unless u go buy a brand new one they are trouble my dad has an 01 and its already got rust and has been through two raditors and a motor

Gstang117
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Alright just got a text from the guy saying the floorboards are good except for one spot on the passenger side the size of a half dollar. compared to the foot long rust hole behind both of my seats I'd say he's in a bit better shape than I am. Also I'm not worried about the paint, it's coming off anyways to be bedlined along with the underneath.

setty2706
12-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Always keep in mind that if there is rust that you can see that means there is rust you cant see... Wrangler's have rust issues anyway and the frames rust basically from the inside out. Check the area around where all the leaf springs mount to the frame and around the trans crossmember.. not trying to scare you just want to warn you

sean
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Check it out in, out, and under and if you like what you see do it. I have had friends with wranglers and they have always been good reliable vehicles. I would rather have the 4.0 over any of the other engines but to each his own on that one. I do a ton of trades a year and sometimes it works and some times I need to put a little work into it but I am usually happy with what I did a few minutes after my old toy leaves my driveway. If you can do a trade for that and it checks out I think your going to be very happy. wranglers are fun.

Gstang117
12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the help/info guys!
Setty@: Never heard of that happening but when I started delving deeper into it online that came up quiet often. Thanks for the warning!
Sean@: The reason why I'm trading is because I want to start stock and build from the engine and frame before I work on the suspension and lift. I am looking into putting the I6 into it, the AMC I4 is puny with big tires on it.

sean
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Big time. I had a friend with a 98 with the 4cyl in it. Off road it was a beast but the drive to haspen was god awful. Had to down shift to get up hills on the highway. lol My yota wasnt much better. . 33's and a lift are not the 4cyl friend on a highway trip.

Gstang117
12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Yep, not for sure if your familiar with the germantown miamisburg area, but there's a particular spot going from miamisburg to route 4 where I've got to gun it and pray that she wont putter out in third gear. And forget about highway travel, I had a prius pass me the only time I've been on 75. and I'm pretty sure the owner was laughing at me :(

sean
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
lol. Yea, my yota was so bad for that. Cruise all day on a flat highway but if I had to slow down or come up a hill and it would take me 5 min to get back to 70. lol Now in 4x4 low it was a beast.

Katmandu
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
No one mentioned the Title work. I believe the best way is for both owners to write "GIFT" on the appropriate spot on the back of it.

Maybe someone can elaborate on this.

Timido
12-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I have a TJ wrangler 35" tires with 4.56 gears 4.0l. I like the TJs the coil springs ride nice. I would not want a 4cly if you plan on putting tires on it. If there is rust on the body I bet the frame is rough also.