Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Awesome new 5.0! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Awesome new 5.0!

Carl
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Unless I missed a thread somewhere on here, check this mo out!
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431504

Camaro86SHOCKER
12-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Beefcakes 5.0 is just about there too...

Carl
12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
But this one is stock inside the block. Just wait until the forged motor gets put together for it, mid/low 9's

mad max
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Thats flying for a pretty much stock car.

beefcake
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
we took my engine down a point of compression

the 10.1 vs 11.1 makes a big difference at that 15 to 16 psi boost level.

me and the owner and ken actually had dinner friday night (about 3am lol) and talked about our combos

i keep thinking i'd wished i'd stayed 11 to 1, but bischoff wanted to go 10.1, and with over 100 passes on the car and 5000 street miles, car is still running very strong, so i can't complain

Carl
12-04-2011, 10:28 PM
What about the rest of the mods to your engine Beef as compared to the stock internals of the other one?

90fastgt
12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Those new 5.0s are impressive

jlt2006
12-05-2011, 07:15 AM
i keep thinking i'd wished i'd stayed 11 to 1, but bischoff wanted to go 10.1, and with over 100 passes on the car and 5000 street miles, car is still running very strong, so i can't complain

So, when you selling it?

Just saying!

Walter
12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Shit rips.

beefcake
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
What about the rest of the mods to your engine Beef as compared to the stock internals of the other one?

The internals don't make power. Very similar combos and similar e.t.s

I have a 10.1 engine vs 11.1. I do have the jpc stage 1 heads and cam regrinds which should help make up for the lowered compression.

Same wheels, circle d converter.

If i had to guess, the other car probably comes in about 100 pounds lighter.

The blowers are set up for the same psi and flow about the same cfm.

The other car has a 1 piece driveshaft, i lost .05 in my 60 when I went back to the 2 piece, but i think the brand i had was causing trans issues. I plan on putting one back in for this year. Probably a dynotech

Joe's car is set up on e85 too.

The stock engines can take pretty good abuse with the right fuel.

I think the centrifical / converter combo on these makes for a hella fun street car!

I know Ken said they are planning on going 9.5 to 1. Gonna need some boost to make up for that. My e.t.s' dropped about .4 at the same boost when i went to 10.1

So, when you selling it?

Just saying!

Still catching grief, lol. I am on an 18 month anniversary today! :)

IWRBB
12-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I heard the #8 piston fails at an alarming high rate on the new 5.0s. Yes? No?

beefcake
12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I heard the #8 piston fails at an alarming high rate on the new 5.0s. Yes? No?

NO!!!!

It's all in the tuning.

I still believe the issue with my engine early was a faulty casper harness that lost connection. It was the drivers side harness, and i lost all 4 cylinders on that side.

IWRBB
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
So, if it's "in the tune" why is it just #8 failing? AFAIK, engines are not tuned per-cylinder. There has to be an issue that's causing one particular piston to fail repeatedtly. It's seeing the same A/F mix and timing as the other 7, and they aren't failing.

beefcake
12-05-2011, 10:57 AM
So, if it's "in the tune" why is it just #8 failing? AFAIK, engines are not tuned per-cylinder. There has to be an issue that's causing one particular piston to fail repeatedtly. It's seeing the same A/F mix and timing as the other 7, and they aren't failing.

there aren't that many cases.

i don't know all the technical jargon, maybe ken will pop in and chime in more.

i do know some people have done things with the tunes they didn't know what they were doing, and ate up engines

IWRBB
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I dunno about that... Google 2012 GT 5.0 #8 piston failure and there are quite a few cases going back to early summer and continuing to today.

beefcake
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I dunno about that... Google 2012 GT 5.0 #8 piston failure and there are quite a few cases going back to early summer and continuing to today.

blown out of proportion imo

05yellowgt
12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
The #8 cylinder gets hotter than the rest on the 5.0, not too different than the issues with the 03-04 cobras and needing to do cooling mods to keep that cylinder from melting down. A lot of the failures came down to tunes that softened the knock sensor settings resulting in failure of the #8 piston. Fuel as Beefcake says is key to making these coyotes live with boost and the high compression. I REALLY don't think that the owner needs to drop compression if he plans on staying on E85. it can take tremendous boost and compression before you'll see issues.

Brandon Alsept
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM

It is simple to see how the tune will eat up #8 first. People mess with the knock sensors letting them add more timing,(instead of adding timing the correct way for this knew computer) and now a guy stays in it for a nice long pull and #8 gets nice and warm knocks a few times and you will hurt it. More timing = a hotter cylinder and that will lead to most of the crack ring lands, melted pistons that most are seeing.

The Ford engineers put this engine threw more hell in stock form than I would bet any of us could. Much like the torture test they did on the ecoboost for the F150 ( Google that and watch that series). Then people start messing with stuff not knowing what effects it will have and boom you have hurt engines all over the place and a great engine gets a bad wrap because people don't know what they are doing.

That is my opinion on it :cool1:

IWRBB
12-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't doubt Ford's testing, or the durability in stock form. Was just wondering what the deal is with #8's. Looks like the cooling is marginal in that hole- Ford worked around it by dumping plenty of fuel at it at critical times, but tuners who don't know what they are doing are failing to maintain those same limits.

IWRBB
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Just noticed the thread on Corner-Carvers with a failed #8 in a new 5.0, he was running a FRPP tune on it. Who knows more about tuning them than Ford?

Brandon Alsept
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Just noticed the thread on Corner-Carvers with a failed #8 in a new 5.0, he was running a FRPP tune on it. Who knows more about tuning them than Ford?

LOL that one I have no answer for.

05yellowgt
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Too many variables without the details. Was the tune for 93 octane and he thought it was ok to run 87 or 91 and beat the dog shit out of the car? Were there mods present that weren't accounted for in the FRPP tune?

IWRBB
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Too many variables without the details.

He did race it. I wouldn't assume that he "beat the dog shit out it it" though.

Here are his posts:

"My 5.0 developed a very loud tick today. Sounds like it's coming from the driver's side valve cover. It was like a switch was thrown; totally normal as I drove somewhere, turned it off, started it back up 20 minutes later and there it was. This is not a little annoying tick, this is an embarrassing-to-drive tick. 2975 miles, about 600-700 of those were track miles. Guess I'll be calling the dealer Monday."

"The news is not good. They don't think it's a top end problem, and are now going to examine the cylinders walls for damage. If they find any, it'll be up to Ford to decide whether they cover it or not, due to my install of the FRPP tune (*). If they don't find damage with the borescope, they may have to tear it down to the block to look for piston damage.

I am signed up to run at Laguna Seca in a week and half. I guess I can officially cancel that now.

* They had called earlier in the day asking if I take it to the track and had messed with the tune. The large amount of tire wear was a giveaway. I didn't lie."

"Talked to the service guy earlier today. They examined the left bank, one piston was cracked with cylinder wall damage, and evidence of detonation on the others. I never heard any pinging at any time, but not sure I would have. He gave me two choices: send all the data to Ford, with pictures, and let them decide to cover it or not. Or they would replace the engine for the cost to me that Ford would pay them for such an operation, around 10k, maintaining my warranty. He thought that if he sent in the info, Ford would deny the claim and permanently cancel any further warranty, due to evidence of track use and the tune. I decided to take my chances, not really having $10k laying around.

So he sent the info to Ford. He called back a while ago and told me to go buy a lottery ticket, or go to Vegas. The decision was: full engine replacement at no cost to me. Pretty sure I won't be re-installing the FRPP tune, although I find it hard to believe that that caused it. "

"I got my car back today, after just over two weeks at the dealer, with its brand new engine. My #8 was the worst, and the cause of the noise, but there was evidence of detonation on the others in the left bank too. I asked for, and he actually gave me copies of the bore scope pictures, not that I can actually tell much from them. Still kind of leery about going back to the track, but it's what I bought the damn thing for, so I imagine I probably will."

"Yeah, running the FRPP tune, mentioned a page or so back, and earlier. I got that one because I didn't want a tune that would eff up the engine. I've always put 91 octane in it, which is the highest I've seen around here. If I did something wrong, I'd love to know what it was."

mustangboy
12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Isn't the point of racing to beat the dog shit out of your car:lol:

Gene
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Isn't the point of racing to beat the dog shit out of your car:lol:

No, because the first rule in racing is "don't break the damn car".

To finish first, first you have to finish.

beefcake
12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
No, because the first rule in racing is "don't break the damn car".

To finish first, first you have to finish.

lol true that