Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone into saltwater fish tanks? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into saltwater fish tanks?

Markcore
11-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Stopped by Gerber's today and got hooked. :lol: I'd love to get a huge 100+ gallon tank, but no nothing of how to maintain a saltwater tank. Anyone here have one?

Blackout
11-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, my Father owned a Pet Store for years and we bought some of our fish from Gerbers.

Salt water tanks are easy to maintain once its setup. It will take around a week once your Nitrites, salt salinities, and a few other things are setup. Now you will need to get a few Blue Damsels to start the bacteria setup. Also your filtration setup is also very important. For your salt, the best to buy is "Instant Ocean" sea salt. It's been about 10 years since I have set one up, so my memory is a little lacking on whether its nitrates or nitrites. But once you get a test kit, it will tell you what you need.

The bigger the tank the better off you are. Once the tank gets set up the bigger they are, the less maintenance they are. You just have to make sure you get the right filtration system. Wet/Dry filtration systems are the best for salt tanks, but you can get away with under gravel filters. OHHH and once set up, let the algae grow, the fish eat it and also don't clean the crushed corral (Gravel on the bottom).

I hope I have helped.

OHHH.... Don't add copper to the tank if you plan on having any type of sea anemones and live rock. It will kill them. But the one thing the copper will do is help keep the fish diseases down.

Do your research and you will be fine. There are plenty of places on line that will tell you what you need to know. And also, there are allot of dumb-asses out there that will tell you to do one thing or the other. Make sure that your getting your information from a reputable source.

Good Luck, salt water fish are pretty but expensive. Some Angel Fish can run as much as $200-$300. Not fun when they are belly up. :)

USMCPONY
11-26-2011, 08:46 PM
My dad is into tanks. He has a 300 gallon, 150 gallon and 90 gallon. I'm actually searching for dark chocolate fish tank stand and a tank. Where is Gerbers located at?

USMCPONY
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I found their website. Do they deal salt water only? I probly be more interested in fresh water.

97dustang
11-27-2011, 03:28 AM
i'm into freshwater tanks too. if you get your saltwater tank post up some pics so we can check it out

Markcore
11-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Blackout! Very helpful. :bigthumb

I found their website. Do they deal salt water only? I probly be more interested in fresh water.

They have both, but the majority is saltwater. Ask for Trey, he's a nice guy and is very intelligent.

TurboNG
11-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I have a 150gal stop by some time and ill down load any info i have for you

Markcore
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a 150gal stop by some time and ill down load any info i have for you

Cool! Give me a call this week and I'll stop by.

chadomac
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
this is a great site ad its local

http://www.cincyreef.com/