Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
small business owners [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : small business owners

bobtsgt
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Do u regret going out on your own? Ive talked with several friends that have answered yes and no. So Im curious what my fellow stangbangerz feel.

Dirtyd0g
10-28-2011, 01:00 PM
It's not that simple of a question. For me it wasn't done by choice but by lack of other choices. On the up side I get to spend all my time with my family. The down side is that you never know when you will get paid or how much. it is also very stressful and requires twice the hours as a normal job.
Alan

JIMS SVT
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
The down side is that you never know when you will get paid or how much.

Its like this. You dont get your car,parts,product till paid in full.

BIZLE
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
best move i have ever made................................

03z06vette
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
best move i have ever made................................

x10................

COOP
10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Good luck if you do it. It's one of my long, long term goals

Black Horse
10-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I would have to say it depends on the business you are attempting to start and the amount of personal involvement you plan to have. If the area is already saturated with similar businesses and you are not bringing anything new or different to the table, you are going to have a rough go of it.

If you are starting a business that relies on your employees to run it with minimal involvement from you, you are in for a rough ride.

If you have found a niche in the market in an area that desperately needs your product or services...I would jump on the opportunity.

If you are thinking of the long-haul and not short-term efforts and you can see the benefits - then its for you!

Dirtyd0g
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Its like this. You dont get your car,parts,product till paid in full.

If I had a nickel for everytime someone brought something here for me to fix acting like they had the money and then call back wanting me to finance it for them...well I would have a bunch of nickels. My business is specialized and isn't a flooded market. However supplies get harder and harder to get as the economy gets worse and the cost of everything goes up constantly. When it's good it's real good, when it's bad it's real bad. work tends to be seasonal and at it's worst when utility bills are at their worst. Sometimes just finding work is difficult.
Alan

DSSKing68
10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I regret mine, but I was also trying to juggle a full time job and a full time business. Didn't work so well, plus...I was a white male, who owned three homes and had good income. Forget about getting an SBA loan or any help from the banks.

If it takes capital to run, make sure you have it. And a good business plan. I worked with SCORE. A great organization.

Consider everything....
I had employees and a large overhead. Consider workers comp, benefits, scheduling, advertising, licenses, etc....

03z06vette
10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
It has taken me 6 yrs to find 3 good employees. Some never find any. so im fortunate!

inferno50
10-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I work my regular body shop job and I have my own . I like it but I also have my money for sure from my reg deal. What are you planning to do. And how many people will you have to manage.that could be the problem.

Katmandu
10-29-2011, 08:47 AM
I would have to say it depends on the business you are attempting to start and the amount of personal involvement you plan to have.

If the area is already saturated with similar businesses and you are not bringing anything new or different to the table, you are going to have a rough go of it.I could not agree more.

My wife very recently closed the doors of her business.

My biggest word of advice is do your market research THOROUGHLY !!! Do NOT skimp in this area because if you don't you very well make a devastating miscalculation and lose your ass!

Consider (and research) ALL of your Start up costs as well.

My wife and I actually purchased a very old building to rehab and to locate her shop.

How much do you think Vectren wanted for a DEPOSIT to just turn the gas on ? $100 ? $200 ? How about $1600 !!!!