PDA

View Full Version : S197 tie rods?

duststang
10-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I have a 06 GT (currently stock ride height) noticed the Tie Rods need to be replaced. I was thinking of buying bump steer kit but had a couple of concerns since I have never had a set nor installed. any thoughts or advice on bump steer kits?
ok for daily drivers?
they worth purchasing, do they really make a difference?
What is the best brand?
are they easy to install?

thecollector
10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
They are usually easy to install. If its your DD I wouldn't fool with putting one on, especially @ stock ride height. The advantage gained is at the limit and would be of marginal benefit on a street car unless you compete with it. If you get one be sure it is from a company that has been around. An alignment will be in order to reset toe even just replacing the tie rod. Enjoy and remember cotter pins are your friend.

bestracing
10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Don't forget to measure the length of the tie rod from the adjusting nut so you can get the replacement close to the same position.

cobrajoe
10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
a 06' !!!! How many miles? That seems premature. JMO

duststang
10-21-2011, 11:21 AM
It has about 60k miles. the boots are flat and busted and I need a alignment so I figured change before they actually go bad?? I guess I could just replace boots with poly and get the alignment?

So you guys wouldn't use on a daily driver? are they not reliable? I do have plans to lower in future just not yet.

05yellowgt
10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
They really help by fixing some of the geometry changes that happen when you lower the car. If you aren't lowered you wouldn't really need them I'd think.

thecollector
10-23-2011, 01:21 PM
They also help stock suspension cars but the benefit is nominal. Since they change the steering pivot angle to be level with the rack it prevents toe from changing as the suspension compresses in turns or over imperfections. Id do it later after you lower it.

04 Venom
10-23-2011, 04:09 PM
They really help by fixing some of the geometry changes that happen when you lower the car. If you aren't lowered you wouldn't really need them I'd think.

I agree; not necessary at stock height.

duststang
10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
thanks guys very helpful!