Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Samsung TV's [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung TV's

06V6Andrew
10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
If anyone has a flat screen samsung tv and has a problem turning on (with a lot of clicking to turn on) oull the back off the tv and check for large capacitors and see if they are blown. TV repair man will charge you around 500 dollars to do this repair. 4 capacitors and a little soldering and you can fix you tv for 13 dollars and some change.

Just an fyi for my fellow BANGERZ so they don't get ripped by the repair man.:bigthumb

Blackballed
10-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I've had mine go out twice. It was under warranty tho. Goes out again I'm going to go with another brand.

06V6Andrew
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
actually if it's the capacitors then go bigger like i did. it will fix it right up and sholdn't have that problem again

mad max
10-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info , ive got a 32 inch samsung in the bedroom. Havent had any problems with it yet. Had it for about 3 years now.

svtmofo
10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Is it on a Plasma, LED, or LCD or on any

06V6Andrew
10-07-2011, 11:06 PM
as far as i know it is just the LCD's that have this problem but i will do more checking into it. if you run into this problem with your tv just give me a pm and i should be able to help you out and show you where to get these capacitors. Radio shack does not keep the sizes you need in stock.

Katmandu
10-26-2011, 10:56 PM
actually if it's the capacitors then go bigger like i did. it will fix it right up and sholdn't have that problem againBetter make sure you discharge capacitors BEFORE working around them or else you'll look like THIS ..... :cool1: :lol:

Stangman
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Im troubleshooting a radio shack brand AOC currently. It wont power on. I could smell the ceramic fuse was blown. Picked up a new one but cant find the little cap things with the wire ends that go on each end of the fuse so i can solder on the board.

chris91
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Dont even get me started on Samsung Plasma's.... Im on number 4 in 2 years of buying the first... Yeah, their customer service is second to none and they have been very quick to replace them, but I should not have to go through this shit.

furiouslyfaster
10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
4 in 2 years holy cow I have a Samsung lcd that I have had for at least 3 years and it has been working good, and I have a 50" plasma Samsung that I have had for about 2 years that still works good. Sounds like your having terrible luck man.

chris91
10-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah I have had two different models of the 50" for three of them. Very first one died the same night I brought it home. Watched a movie with the kids and started to watch another with the wife when it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. The second and third both had red, blue, and green pixels from top to bottom along the left side of the screen. These TVs were hardly used either because we have a 55" that we watch most of our television on and none have had game systems hooked up to them for any long period of time. They just recently replaced the third about 4 months ago with the new 51" model since they no longer make the 50" plasma. So far, so good, but we shall see.....

IWRBB
10-27-2011, 09:43 AM
We have about 90 Samsung LCD monitors at work. We've seen about a 15% failure rate. Our IT guy did some reasearch and everyone said "replace the caps!" He's been buying new caps and transformers and fixing them as they fail. All have worked fine after new caps or new caps + a new transformer. He's been fixing them for less than $15 in parts.

Katmandu
10-28-2011, 09:23 AM
We have about 90 Samsung LCD monitors at work. We've seen about a 15% failure rate. Our IT guy did some reasearch and everyone said "replace the caps!" He's been buying new caps and transformers and fixing them as they fail. All have worked fine after new caps or new caps + a new transformer. He's been fixing them for less than $15 in parts.How do you fix them ?

Where are the caps/transformers located in LCD displays ?

2-8-1
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Changing caps yourself can be dangerous. I wouldn't attempt it unless you know what your doing. If your a "shadetree" mechanic when it comes to electronics, find a buddy that knows his stuff. Electric discharge is only one facet. If you install a cap incorrectly and it pops, it can send shrapnel into your face, chest, and appendages. Plus the stuff inside is often toxic and caustic.

I'm all for DIY and saving some money, but be careful, or find a fellow 'banger that is qualified to do it.

Evolved
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I have had a Samsung 50" Plasma for four years now, we play Wii on it also and have been lucky and not had one problem. I am sure now that I posted this it will quit working.

BIZLE
10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
i have 2 50" samsungs and i have never had a problem in 3 years
however
i bought a 58" 3d and the second day i had it my 2 year old son threw a hotwheel through the screen lol

Katmandu
10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm all for DIY and saving some money, but be careful, or find a fellow 'banger that is qualified to do it.I'm no expert, but have working knowledge of electronics.

Anyone know of any "How-To" websites or articles to fix this issue ?

Sounds like it would be a good way to get some good deals on broken LCD monitors/TVs and repair them pretty cheap.

IWRBB
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
How do you fix them ?

Where are the caps/transformers located in LCD displays ?

Unsolder the old caps, solder in new caps. Same for the transformer. He's a shaky handed mofo too.. so anyone can do it.

IWRBB
10-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Changing caps yourself can be dangerous. I wouldn't attempt it unless you know what your doing. If your a "shadetree" mechanic when it comes to electronics, find a buddy that knows his stuff. Electric discharge is only one facet. If you install a cap incorrectly and it pops, it can send shrapnel into your face, chest, and appendages. Plus the stuff inside is often toxic and caustic.

I'm all for DIY and saving some money, but be careful, or find a fellow 'banger that is qualified to do it.

They aren't THAT dangerous. How do you install it incorrectly anyways? They have two wires or two solder terminals going to the cap- and there are two terminals on the cap. It doesn't matter which way they are hooked up, so how does one not install it correctly?

I'm one to be cautious, but really- you are scaring people for no reason. The way most people jump start a battery, or put fuel in hot lawn mowers are both a million times more hazardous than replacing a tiny capacitor on a LCD monitor circuit board.

All you have to do it put a piece of metal between the terminals and the charge is gone. The tiny little caps on a LCD aren't going to make "shrapnel". I replaced 3 caps on my home A/C units that were a hundred times bigger than those tiny ones in a LCD monitor. Unplugged the wires, put a screwdriver across the terminals and took them out. Either it's that simple or it was dumb luck.

IWRBB
10-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm no expert, but have working knowledge of electronics.

Sounds like it would be a good way to get some good deals on broken LCD monitors/TVs and repair them pretty cheap.

Just do a Google search with "Samsung capacitor" and "problem", "repair", "fix", "kit", etc. You'll find sites that sell kits for specific model TVs and monitors. Our IT guy that has been fixing them is goin to try to fix his 32" LCD TV at home that crapped out on him for no apparent reason.

2-8-1
10-29-2011, 10:10 AM
It doesn't matter which way they are hooked up, so how does one not install it correctly?

Actually, yes, it does on a polarized cap. A lot of caps have a definite + and - terminal, and if you solder it in backwards it will pop. I've seen a small cap blow the side out of a soda can, what do you think it would do to your eyes? More often than not, it's a simple pop and a whistle, but I like my sight.

I'm not saying someone is going to die by changing a cap. But I am saying to be cautious, I'm definately not trying to scare them. But I'm definately not going to tell a person to just do it because nothing will happen, and then a cap pop in their face. At least wear Glasses.

If there are any caps damaged in the PS of the Television, they are probably Polarized caps.

I'm no expert, but have working knowledge of electronics.

Google, or maybe even www.ehow.com