Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Remembering the past [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the past

dedpedal
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Ever look around and realize just how things have changed over the course of your life? Ive had a bit of time to reflect lately and have come up with a list.
By far not all inclusive but just a few that caught up to me.

1. When did the makers of frozen pizzas start putting them in plastic as well as a box? Damn frustrating if you ask me. I remember Mom buying school pizza by the bulk box and there was like 50 little rectangles in there.

2. Child proofing damn near everything.Heaven help me if I need an aspirin in a hurry. I have to find a five year old to open the bottle for me.

3. Anyone remember 8 tracks, cassettes and albums?now damn near everything is on computers and cell phones. Even CDs are now considered archaic. Same goes for video. I remember dad bringing movies home from the school where he taught on the weekend and progecting it on a white wall in the kitchen. It was a real treat when Mom would make popcorn in a pan. Yes kids, there was popcorn before microwaves.

4. On that note, it was called a Microwave Oven and food wasnt designed specificaly for it.

5.The world wasnt PC and seemed to get by just fine. Now if you say the slightest thing, someone is offended and you can lose everything over it.

6. Is it me or do politicians feel the need to make new laws to regulate my own stupidity? I see the benifit of seatbelts in cars and a helmet when riding but I dont need the govt to legislate me on it. A little here, a little there and we all become automatons working for the elite few that we supposably elect to lead us.

7.McDonalds was good food. Now its the cause of early puberty in children and stocking the penal system with even more sex offenders than ever before.

8. We got the news from radio, TV and the paper.Now, if its on Facebook, it must be the truth. Employers actualy spoke with a potential employee before deciding. Now, they just google that persons name to see what kind of person they are.

Im sure theres many more. Share em if you got em.

plated
09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
shit i was happy with a stretch armstrong doll ...yea i know what's inside one to i use to live behind totes factory ...................were old and washed up like surfers:fart:

INSANEBA
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I remember sitting in my room listening to the radio waiting to catch that new Skid Row, Def Leppard or Bon Jovi song, so I could hit record and put it on a cassette. I remember we didnt have to wear helmets when riding bicycles, and almost always drank from garden hoses, or whatever else we could find to hold something cold. I also do remember when seat belts were an option, and you could have a smoke in the restaraunt after your meal...

mwaller5672
09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I am so glad aboud the smoking thing though. Not only did you have a cigarette when dinner was over so did everyone around you. I can go back to helping my grandmother. Her water came from a hand pump on the sink. She had a 3 seater outside bathroom. When you got a drink you better save enough water to prime the pump next time

Pitbull1052
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
remember when you had to actually go to someone's house or actually call them to see what was going on with them......... now it's just check their facebook status

Mista Bone
09-27-2011, 02:55 PM
As a kid playing outside you went home for dinner when dad yelled, if not you got what was left, cold.

Playing ball with neighborhood kids in the street.

You did something stupid, the neighbor would wack you then call your house before you got home, and you got it again.

Yep, it worries me what this world will be like while my grandson grows up.

gordon
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
How bout being gone all day long on your bike and your parents not worrying if you are ok? And gettin the belt instead of gettin grounded?

INSANEBA
09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree on the smoke, eventhough I'm a smoker. But I can vividly remember getting spanked in school, and by my friends parents too. When they took that away from parents and teachers, they created the downturn of society as we know it...

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Shit we used to get up at dawn in the summer after spending all night taking our bikes apart and packing the bearings with grease, go riding all damn day without a dollar to our names, no energy drinks just a water fountain in town (which was like 20 miles away, one way) ride around town all day acting stupid, then ride home and do it all over again the next day.

Oh and i remember the one and only time i was going to get swats at school. I told the teacher if he touched me with that paddle i'd take it and beat him with it. I got suspended instead :lol:

RIXXX93GT
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Okay this is showing my age but before cell phones and pc's we had a simple rotary phone and on this phone you may pick it up to dial a friend only to find someone else on the phone line. Yep they were called "party lines" and your neighbors used the same phone line as you. You took turns calling people. When I got my license it was not uncommon to pay for gas with coins you had left from scammin some strohs or little kings. Drinking age was 19 also. Everyone went to the drive ins not the drive thru. YOu saved all year for a set of Cragar S/S and some Kelly Springfield N50's from Nationwise Auto Parts.

redfirepearlgt
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show was prime time Saturday morning and ran 8:00am - 930am. There was Pink Panther, Scooby Doo, Speed Buggy, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch (not long lived), and Fat Albert. Saturday morning was CARTOONS FOR KIDS!!! and a bowl of cereal.

Entry level Cars came standard with hand crank windows, manual locks, manual brakes, manual steering, am radio, 4 speed manual, hubcaps on 13" steel rims, and the bright/dim switch was on the floor.

WSAI AM was the Rock and Roll station in Cincinnati and Jim SCott the morning DJ was King of the Hill (in the early 70's before FM radio became cool).

Candy bars were a dime. You didn't need to make change for a FIVE to by a Snickers.

Pop (soda) was served in glass bottles OR tin cans with pull tabs that you could make belts out of. Oh, and you could return the glass bottle for 5 cents return deposit.

Gum came in packs of 7 sticks and were individually wrapped.

The Men smoked cigarettes after church on Sunday mornings under the Maple tree in front of the church building (this was common in my country church)

Phones had rotory dials on them which is why you "dialed someone's number".

A 25" console TV was HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Variety shows were on TV in place of reality shows. (Dean Martin, Laugh In, Sonny/Cher, The Osmond Show (hated it), HEE HAW (LOVED IT!;)!!!), etc.

...And Jim Rockford ALWAYS got his man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

mad max
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
. But I can vividly remember getting spanked in school, and by my friends parents too. When they took that away from parents and teachers, they created the downturn of society as we know it...[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement 100 percent.

mad max
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I never had a cell phone till i was 27 years old. My seven year old daughter wants one , and i said maybe in 5 years. I always had to be home before dark and if i wasnt i had better be on a phone explaining why. Its a scary world our children will grow up in.

dedpedal
09-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Anyone remember looking under the hood of an 86 GT and being baffled? "Its the end of hottroding as we know it!"

Gstang117
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Shit I'm still young and I can remember listening to 8 tracks with my dad in the garage while he worked on his harleys. I also Vividly remember getting spanked with a big ole paddle even though the teachers in school didn't do it, my old man did. Which sucked.

draggin50
09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I remember we had 1 tv in the whole house and it was a big floor model. It had maybe 5 knobs to turn and no remote. As kids, we was the remote!!! And if we dare change the channel while pops was watching MASH or something, we got our asses beat!!! Or what about rabbit ears??? Those things sucked!! Ours was wrapped with aluminum foil to help reception!

plated
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Anyone remember looking under the hood of an 86 GT and being baffled? "Its the end of hottroding as we know it!"

i remember riding in a brand new 86 gt,another guy in the neiborhood had an 86 capri rs and aother guy had a 87 grand national the grand national would eat'em all

adragon72
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Ahhh the good old days!!!

adragon72
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I remember walking to the post office to get our mail because they didn't deliver.

We had an out house till I was five.

I remember picking peacons for a dollar a sack and it was as big as I was.

bronzeLX
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Cant help but post here, you guys are really bringing back some memories. Remember alot of stuff forgotten until I read some of these posts. I'm 44 now, I can remember gettin Bostons first album, Kiss' double platinum, got a Blackfoot and a UFO 8-track for my birthday. Remember whem John Bonham died. My favorite candy bar was a Marathon bar, it was about a foot with caramel inside and twisted like a pretzel and covered in chocolate. I can still see the commercials of the new 79 Trans Am. In 1979 when we moved to the other end of town the pizza guy there delivered pizzas in a 69 Cyclone Spoiler, is that BAD or what. I got into trouble alot, fighting mostly, principal had the paddle and I saw it often, sitter had the wooden, saw it alot to.

bronzeLX
09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
thats a wooden spoon

facemelter71
09-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm only 28. But I can remember alot back then. Mom and Dad when they were still together would go bowling on Saturday night. My brother and I had video night that night. We got two movies (vhs) from blockbuster,we would get 1 two liter of pop and a candybar.

We had to be home when the street lights turned on. Knocked on neighbors doors to see if there kids could come out and play, usually kickball in the middle of the street.

Played hide and seek in the woods and around the house. Drinking from the hose was normal. And so was sitting down for dinner every night.

plated
09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
anyone remember "harps" skating rink:cool1:

plated
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
anyone remember "harps" skating rink:cool1: if you didn't watch the dukes on friday night at 8 then dallas came on:( can't forget he fall guy and bj mkay and his best friend bear

Mista Bone
09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Yep, we are all old farts!

If you had a Sears Tele-Games, before Atari had the money to market the 2600.....

Movin On
BJ and the Bear

Archie Bunker!!!!

k062693w
09-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Remember CRUZIN' Town ??? That's what I miss !!! Everyone with a car from 16-60 all shined up and crusing town on Friday and Saturday night !!!

And if you wanted to race, You and who you were racing and maybe a flagger and 1 or 2 others went and raced ... Not 15 car loads of obnoxious F*$KS there running there Sucks ... LOL

Just GOOD TIMES !!!

My $.02 !!!

2Kblacksleeper
09-28-2011, 12:45 AM
I remember watching Air wolf, A-team, dallas, mcguyver, with the rents on the floor model tv.

Saturday cartoons were mr. magoo cartoon express. Flintstones, jetsons, foghorn leghorn, etc.

These were the good old days.

Playing outside all day, riding bikes mostly, basketball, whiffel ball, setting off real m-80's in the woods we borrowed from a friends dad. Golfing. Cutting grass, wood, caddying for money.

mad max
09-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Remember CRUZIN' Town ??? That's what I miss !!! Everyone with a car from 16-60 all shined up and crusing town on Friday and Saturday night !!!

And if you wanted to race, You and who you were racing and maybe a flagger and 1 or 2 others went and raced ... Not 15 car loads of obnoxious F*$KS there running there Sucks ... LOL

Just GOOD TIMES !!!

My $.02 !!!

Boy do i miss this, the nights we had in hillsboro and eastgate were some of the best days of my life.

draggin50
09-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Boy do i miss this, the nights we had in hillsboro and eastgate were some of the best days of my life.

Yeah those were the days!!! Any luck on that tape yet?? A lot of good times on there!

Dirtyd0g
09-30-2011, 08:19 AM
I remember mowing the yard with a 3.5hp briggs and stratton lawn mower. It came complete with pull rope that broke often, but you could replace it in 10 minutes with nothing more than a flat head screwdriver. If the handle or something broke on it wait til trash night and see who threw a mower away you could get what you need from. It did not have a primer bulb, safety release, self propelled, mulching blade, bagger, or anything besides a motor, deck, wheels (the nice ones were adjustable height) and a handle with throttle. To shut it down you put the throttle all the way back and if it didn't stall run over some tall weeds to kill it.

The corner store ran an account for locals...If you called a company to ask a question or something you did not have to press one for english.

Going into a convenient store did not feel like a trip to the middle east.
But saturday morning cartoons I miss the most. The only cartoon worth watching anymore is Spongebob. I don't even know what half this stuff on tv now is about. It's like cartoons for freaks.
Alan

Gene
09-30-2011, 11:32 AM

I miss taking the motorcycle to Eastgate in the mid-late 90s. Those were good times.

setty2706
09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I have been reading this thread.. But didnt get the old flash back cold chills until someone had to say Hillsboro cruise block... Every weekend was a new adventure... And most of them we should never talk about :bigthumb

good times.

setty2706
09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Old cruise block memory........

rolling around in 78 camaro 350, dual exhaust, black interior air shocks Big meats sticking past the quarter panels.. Revving at all the passing cars just waiting for a little honda to want some :D.... Then i hear a voice say" pull over there"... and i look to my passenger window and there stands a bicycle cop :eek:............. I never lived it down with my friends about getting pulled over by a bicycle :bigthumb

mad max
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I learned real quick that you could carry a case of beer (in cans) on the tank of a gsxr 1100 if you had to . Part of my hillsboro cruising education.

2-8-1
09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty young as far as the "hotrod" crowd goes, but I miss being able to go hang out and talk cars without 30 toolsheds talking a bunch of crap and wanting to "street race for realz yo".

bbfstanger
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
man that brings back some memories, n-50 superchargers on some cragar s/s or alum. slots with air shocks and shackles a foot long ,whatever it too to make them fit lmao!
batman with adam west.
seeing the orig. gone in 60 seconds and dirty larry-crazy mary at the drive in.
speaking of remember when they had play grounds at the drive-ins?

Moody
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
The original gone in 60 seconds is Soo much better then the new one. Real car real driving one of The best chases. I would go as far as saying better then a certain 68 gt 390

mustang8998
10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
man that brings back some memories, n-50 superchargers on some cragar s/s or alum. slots with air shocks and shackles a foot long ,whatever it too to make them fit lmao!
batman with adam west.
seeing the orig. gone in 60 seconds and dirty larry-crazy mary at the drive in.
speaking of remember when they had play grounds at the drive-ins?

LOL, it was Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry!

redfirepearlgt
10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
if you didn't watch the dukes on friday night at 8 then dallas came on:( can't forget he fall guy and bj mkay and his best friend bear

NOW YOU'RE Talking!!!!!!!!

Remember when 2V and 4V stood for two barrel (VENTRICLE) and 4 barrel (VENTRICLE) in stead of 2 valve or 4 valve? Granted I am a modular guy but admit it took me a while reading modular threads that they were referencing valve count and not barrel count. Was at first wondering why guys were concerned about number of barrels on their fuel injected cars. LOL!!! Then it dawned on me they were talking valve count.

Dirtyd0g
10-02-2011, 11:49 AM
The one thing I disagree with is when everyone talks about how vehicles of the past were so much better than the junk they build today. Personally I will take fuel injection over carb any day, DIS over a mechanical distributor for sure, Electronic overdrive over cable operation any day!. In the 70's 4cylinders were all slow. Now if you buy any brand new domestic 4 cylinder it will run like a good v6 used to. The only old motors that were better than these newer motors were hemi's, cobra jets, etc... the really big stuff and they made competitve power at considerably more fuel consumption and emissions of a modern engine.
Alan

firestang70
10-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I miss the Hillsboro and Eastgate cruising days. I wonder how many guys I raced on here. It was always fun. I miss the General Lee,KITT,Air Wolf,A Team really cheesy story lines with cars and action!!! Thing are diiferent now. I consider my self truly blessed. I love my job, have a great family, all my kids say yes maam and sir, have a roof over my head that only leaks when it rains hard. lol

redfirepearlgt
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
And who can forget "The Fall Guy" with Heather Thomas. What a bomb shell!!! I loved that poster of her in the pink bikini! .....Oh yeah, Lee Majors was on that show as well wasn't he? I almost forgot!!!!!!!!!

2-8-1
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
The only old motors that were better than these newer motors were hemi's, cobra jets, etc... the really big stuff and they made competitve power at considerably more fuel consumption and emissions of a modern engine.

I disagree, there is nothing about the 60's and 70's that is better than their modern counterparts aside from styling. A 426 Hemi wouldn't stand a chance against a 6.2 Hemi. What could a Chevy 427 do against an LS7 or LS9? How about a 429 Boss vs Coyote 302 Boss?

dedpedal
10-02-2011, 02:41 PM
and when was it decided that we need seatbelts...... IN SHOPPING CARTS??????

Dirtyd0g
10-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I disagree, there is nothing about the 60's and 70's that is better than their modern counterparts aside from styling. A 426 Hemi wouldn't stand a chance against a 6.2 Hemi. What could a Chevy 427 do against an LS7 or LS9? How about a 429 Boss vs Coyote 302 Boss?

My thoughts are if you take both comparable engines brand new, use modern oil and regular maintenance the internal components of the older motors is likely to last longer, it was built heavy.
Even then the new motors only fail due to the timing chains and other plastic parts failing.
Alan

redfirepearlgt
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Now that is funny. We don't have kids but we have to laugh when we see that.

Gstang117
10-02-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that was caused by my dumb ass falling out of the cart every time my parents took me shopping :coo1: