PDA

View Full Version : charging issues

mustang_gt88
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Im having a issue with the charging system on the car. When i start it up i checked the battery with a volt meter and the battery goes from 12.5 up to over 14 after it runs for like 5 mins. I shut the car off and it will not start back up and the battery is at 12.5 or less. I think this sounds like the battery is not holding the charge. the battery is only 2 months old, the alternator is only 2months old. Tell me your thoughts

mustang_gt88
08-26-2011, 11:14 PM
i just checked the battery with the volt meter on 20 dc and noticed that it started at 12.5 and started climbing like the battery was charging but the car was not running and i up hooked the battery charger. What the hell am i doing wrong?

mustang_gt88
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
i found the issue, wirig

skeptiq
09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
what kind of wiring was the issue? having similar issue with my car.

mustang_gt88
09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
The hot wire ending up being loose. Have you checked that you have a 12v(battery) and 12v(ignition)? How old is the alt?

coupegt
09-22-2011, 09:55 AM
had same problem on my 95 f150 was not getting a good ground on the block end of ground cable After changing alt starter and battery i figured it out

bobtsgt
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
also even if a battery test good with a volt meter it may still be bad. load tests help prove that.

skeptiq
09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
New alternator on there now, but no change. My brother in law has been driving the mustang and said it just died while on the road. For whatever reason he put on new alternator thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. Then he said he was going to have the battery tested, but didn't and just put a new battery in, and of course it died again. So, he basically just replaced the battery and alternator when there is something else going on... He did mention there was a beeping sound that sounded like a watch alarm coming from the passenger side... It wasn't a door ding, or lights on ding, but more like an electronic alarm type sound? Anyone have any ideas??? I was going to take a volt meter over soon and see what is causing the drain starting with the fuses... Ran engine codes and get 511 & 512 (No power to PCM pin 1 or bad PCM & Memory power (PCM pin 1 was interrupted)... Wonder if the computer is going out?!?!

mustang8998
09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Does the little battery light come on, with the key in the run position, engine off?

RIXXX93GT
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
New alternator on there now, but no change. My brother in law has been driving the mustang and said it just died while on the road. For whatever reason he put on new alternator thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. Then he said he was going to have the battery tested, but didn't and just put a new battery in, and of course it died again. So, he basically just replaced the battery and alternator when there is something else going on... He did mention there was a beeping sound that sounded like a watch alarm coming from the passenger side... It wasn't a door ding, or lights on ding, but more like an electronic alarm type sound? Anyone have any ideas??? I was going to take a volt meter over soon and see what is causing the drain starting with the fuses... Ran engine codes and get 511 & 512 (No power to PCM pin 1 or bad PCM & Memory power (PCM pin 1 was interrupted)... Wonder if the computer is going out?!?!

I had a pioneer stereo that used to beep like that.