Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What type of welder should I buy? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What type of welder should I buy?

Gstang117
08-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm looking for a welder to use for a couple of projects I'm wanting to do (exo cages, bumpers, replacing floor boards, etc.)
What would be the best type of welder I should invest in? I'm not looking for the top of the line quality but something that is decent for cheap.
Should I also avoid the welders at Harbor Freight?

Goober
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
For gods sake, avoid Chinese Freight!!!

Lincoln has a nice GMAW/FCAW (Mig/Flux Core for you non welding types) at Lowes that is really nice for a 110v. IIRC its in the $500-$600 range, but well worth the money.

orangeconv
08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I was thinking a hobart, tsc 650 220 also, anyone want to chime in?

thecollector
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
You get what you pay for. Im a miller man myself but either brand is as good as the other. Craigslist is the best source for cheap name brand welding gear, make sure you try it before you but it and if you go MIG get something you can go gas with. Tsc also has a better selection than big box stores if you go the new route.

Gstang117
08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Looks like I'm definitely going the used way. And I've had many junk things come from Harbor freight but never bought anything this expensive from there. Thanks for the warning!
Collector what do you mean by go gas with?

KYGTP
08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I was thinking a hobart, tsc 650 220 also, anyone want to chime in?

I bought a hobart model, and I really like it. I went back in forth from the Miller and Hobart and for the price, I went with hobart.

But Guess what, Miller makes Hobart. When I got my welder, I started to put it together and the gun had Miller on it. SO, when it came to that welder, I was saving money by not getting a BLUE case on mine.

smytty
08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
i gotta say Lincoln,bc the company i work for is owned by them :lol:

stang0375
08-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I weld nearly every day with a 115v portable Hobart and have NO complaints.This thing get drug in and out of the truck several times a day,gets beat and banged around all day long .I couldn't begin to tell how many hours its been used/sat in the rain! Very dependable.

Gene
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Spend the money on a decent welder from a name brand so that you can get parts and have it serviced down the road.

thecollector
08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks like I'm definitely going the used way. And I've had many junk things come from Harbor freight but never bought anything this expensive from there. Thanks for the warning!
Collector what do you mean by go gas with?

Using a unit with the ability to run a shielding gas will get better results. Harbor freight stuff is trash. Hobart/miller/weldmark are all made by miller but with different transformers and duty cycles. Its more than just paint. You can get a complete outfit with gas ready to go for 500 or less on craigslist.

thecollector
08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Millerwelds.com is also a great site.

Gstang117
08-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks alot for the info guys, guess I dodged a big bullet lol

Dirtyd0g
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Every welder I still own is a Miller. Buy a used miller before buying any of the new junk. I bought my 110 unit off the company I used to work for for $300 because it needed a capacitor and some wires fixed. I spent $50 on it and it has been great. I have had it over 10 years and use it at least once a week.
My biggest welder is a Miller as well and it is set up for automation on my converter machine. I clean it out about once a year other than that I just put wire in the wire feeder and use it. My tig I bought on Craigslist for $800 and it came with a phase converter. The phase converter I have rebuilt and the tig I had to replace the power switch on.
Alan

facemelter71
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
That converter machine is pretty awesome.