Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Suspension Opinions [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Opinions

furiouslyfaster
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey guys my stang is in need of a new suspension the springs and shocks/struts seem pretty worn so I thought what better time then now to upgrade. I have been shopping around and I wanted to see what your guys opinions were on a good setup for a street car. I would really like the car to handle good and have the best ride possible. So I figured I would consult you guys. :D

Mustard
07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
If I were building a car to handle. I would go with the Maximum Motor sports stuff. I rode in a Bullet that had there front and rear set up on it. Wow is all I can say

furiouslyfaster
07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Did those springs lower the car much? Or atleast get rid of the 4x4 look

Mustard
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
This was a 99 or 2000 bullet. It sat down nice when it was done.

2Fast4You
07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Maximum Motorsports does make nice equipment...

furiouslyfaster
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Good to know thanks guys I will check them out.

chris91
07-28-2011, 09:29 PM
For shocks and struts you cant go wrong with Koni Yellow's either. Had them on a couple different cars and they really work well. Made locally also.

Black Horse
07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
If you are just wnating some better streetability I would just go with lowering springs and shocks. If you want to make the handling much better go with the MM coilover kit. Its all about balance and what you wnat to do with the car, at some point it becomes a lot less street friendly and a whole lot more track happy.

Pitbull1052
07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
FF if you don't know it Black Horse is a road racer so if you want to know how to make it handle that's the guy right there......

I've had about 5 Stangs now and that's my first priority since I totalled a 96 because well driver skills and car was on factory suspension and I went beyond it's capabilities but since then that's the first thing i do is make it handle. My 91 LX I just got rid of was fairly stock performance wise so I was ok. with just some FMS lowering springs and some KYB performance shocks....... but my current car is way beyond stock and has UPR coil overs, Strange 10 ways and I love it, I like the adjustablility of the coil overs as far as ride height and 10 ways work really well for both track and street duty......

jlt2006
07-29-2011, 08:09 AM
FF if you don't know it Black Horse is a road racer so if you want to know how to make it handle that's the guy right there......
+1
I would take his advice.

furiouslyfaster
07-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys. I am kind of on the fence with what I want. I want to have a pretty sweet little street car but wouldn't mind trying out the occasional autocross or trip to edgewater (doubt I would be competitive but my buddy does autocross in his focus and I wouldn't mind trying it). My car will by no means be a race car I am gathering parts so I can build a fresh motor with Gt40 heads and Intake, and most likely a cam. So I guess whichever suspension would be best with that engine setup probably just some lowering springs and shocks huh. If that's the case which do you guys like H&R, Eibach, Vogtland? BlackHorse help me out man :) Thanks for all the help guys btw

Black Horse
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
To give yourself the flexibility you desire (street, Auto-X, drag) for the least money spent, I would suggest lowering springs and adjustable shocks all the way around. With the adjustable shocks you can tune it for whatever you are doing (medium for daily driving, stiff for auto-x, soft for drag). A lot of suppliers have decent "kits" to maximize your balance. I do not recommend piecing together your set-up. The FRPP, Maximum Motorsports, Steeda, etc. actually spends some time doing development work to get you a good balanced set-up right out of the box.

If you want to spend a few more $ I would highly recommend the front coil-over set-up with adjustable struts.

Maximum Motorsports is probably one of the best set-ups around but a bit pricey. On my street car (99 Cobra that used to see quite a bit of Auto-X and open track activity) I went with a simple progressive rate spring package with single adjustable shocks. I can dial it up to dive through the twisties and dial it back to not rattle my teeth out on the street. Set-up on that car for drag racing was a wash since the damn IRS would wheel hop so bad even with the shocks at the softest setting. I could make it better but never really could get rid of the hop.

If you are serious about performance driving, get good tires and spend some time on a track getting the car and yourself dialed in.

I once had an instructor friend take me out in a stock suspension Fox Body and blow my mind with how well he could make it handle. 90% is driver the other 10% is the car (Maximizing what you have!).

furiouslyfaster
07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Black Horse your advice is awesome I went to steeda's site and saw the Tokico Illumina Shocks/Struts how do you think those would do with some Steeda springs, or H&R springs? Or what springs would you recommend with those shocks/struts (They are adjustable and the price isn't too bad) Let me know I think I wanna go with lowering springs and adjustable Shocks that way I can have some flexibility for other types of driving. Thanks again man.

5.0calypso93lx
07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
MM for handling, Team Z for Drag / Street Strip.