Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mustang and Dayton, OH Trivia [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mustang and Dayton, OH Trivia

TZ250
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I am reading Lee Iacocca's Autobiography for a history class. The class is about the changes in culture do to technology.

Lee Iacocca is the father of the Mustang; everyone knows that. The Falcon had been Robert McNamara's car. He was an accountant and he only cared about thrifty cars. Lee Iacocca based the Mustang on the Falcon components and saved Ford $225 million dollars in develop costs.

Internally the new car was called the Cougar, before Mustang was picked. Mustang was meant as a reference to the airplane. "The study he (Arjay Miller) commisioned projected that the Cougar would sell eighty-six thousand units." (p.72)

Prior to the unveiling of the Mustang, Ford kept 8,160 Mustangs in stock so that they could send every dealer in the U.S. one car each. When the Mustang went on sale, the public started standing in line to buy one. Dealers could not keep them in stock.

What you may not know is that Dayton, OH was a testing center for Ford to determine if they should open another plant to produce the Mustang. On pages 78-79 of Lee Iacocca's Autobiography he says "Because the cars were in such short supply, it was hard to know how many we could really sell. So a few weeks after the Mustang was introduced, Frank Zimmeran arranged for an experiment in Dayton, Ohio, known as a GM town because GM had several plants in the area."

"He met with the Ford dealers in Dayton and told them: "Look, you guys are in a tough, competitive market here, and the Mustang's a hot car. We want to see how hot it really is, so we're going to give each of you ten cars to put in stock and we'll honor your retail orders as quickly as we get them."

"The results were amazing. We got something like 10 percent of the entire car market in Dayton. That was all the ammunition we needed, and by September we were starting to convert the San Jose plant."

Ford sold 418,812 Mustangs the first year, setting a new record for volume and profit.

Rich
07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Pretty cool. At one time, I believe the 60's, Dayton had more GM plants within it's city limits, than any other city in the US, including Detroit.

Now...zero

HawksWR37
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Learn something knew everyday. my dad worked at gm/delco/delphi for 18 years and then it shut down. i know all about this.

setty2706
07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
that is some cool facts that i didnt know... !!! Hell maybe i should try some of that Reading :D

ibstrokin
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I would never have guessed that Dayton would be a test market for Ford. But it makes sense considering all of the GM plants that were here.

Katmandu
07-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Very cool! :bigthumb

An old timer buddy of mine bought a 65 K-Code brand new in Dayton. Still has it.

Unfortunately, during a past restoration he lost the 289 engine in a divorce! OUCH!

I just remembered... I happen to have a pic of him standing next to Ford's SVO Semi (a friend of a friend was the driver...). The SVO semi has a 65 K-Code on it's side. Check it out.

http://www.katmanduonline.net/pics/GT40/photos/photo57.jpg

INSANEBA
07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Very cool indeed!!!

Mustard
07-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Man that's a cool piece of info. Never would have guessed that

Katmandu
07-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Why don't you contact some Dayton area Ford dealerships and interview them about this ?

TZ250
07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Why don't you contact some Dayton area Ford dealerships and interview them about this ?

I am maxed out just trying to survive life right now. For the interviews, I will have to pass the torch to someone else.

Let me know how it goes.

beefcake
07-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Very cool! :bigthumb

An old timer buddy of mine bought a 65 K-Code brand new in Dayton. Still has it.

Unfortunately, during a past restoration he lost the 289 engine in a divorce! OUCH!

that would suck. and she probably had no interest in the engine other than spite

Katmandu
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
that would suck. and she probably had no interest in the engine other than spiteExactly. :rolleyes:

I ended up selling him an 68 302 for it awhile back.