PDA

View Full Version : For the bike riders......

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
This happens a lot more than you think...... I'm not sure if this is true but I was told once by a life long rider than you need to throttle up if you think you're going to hit one......

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110726/NEWS01/110726028/Motorcyclist-crashes-into-deer?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

pegasus
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
is it just me or does it seem like the deer pop is way up this year

mad max
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
This is why i only ride during daylight hours.

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
this was at almost 7 a.m. and here lately by me i've seen deer out in the early evening like 6 ish.....

mad max
07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah i have seen more out earlier in the evenings too. It was in a low visibility enviroment though too, didnt the article say that aircare had trouble landing due to fog ? Hope the rider pulls thru , i have had two close encounters with deer and they are no fun.

chris91
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Its pretty crazy when you see more deer in the populated areas than you do out in the country. We used to live out by Mt. Orab and would see a few here and there. Here in Anderson we have a family of about 6 of them that we see almost daily walking through our back yard.

I had a buddy that hit one years ago on his Hyabusa. He was lucky he is still alive. Bike was destroyed.

1987coupe
07-26-2011, 03:48 PM
is it just me or does it seem like the deer pop is way up this year

In my area it seems like they are taking over ( if its not deer its rabbits)! I hit a deer on my bike about a year ago luckily i sped up and it only hit my knee but hitting a deer in the head at around 60 with my knee hurt like hell and still hurts to this day. You just have to look ahead!

mustangkuhn90lx
07-26-2011, 06:43 PM
i was at tri state three weeks ago and making a pass and almost hit one at the end of the track hitting it at 130 + i don't think would have turned out to well

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
My fathers friend happens to be one of those riders. He hit one going about 50 and ended up with a punctured lung from the deer's antlers a couple broken bones, and more roadrash than possibly imaginable. The man walks with a limp now but is otherwise fine. When we visited him in the hospital and he told us next time he was going hunting, he was going to take his motorcycle as bait.

USMCPONY
07-27-2011, 12:51 AM
I missed a deer by inches last week going 70 mph (speed limit was 65). Did a nose wheelie and everything I could not to hit him. My friend was behind me. Almost crashed into me. The deer jumped out of the way at the last minute. I was pretty lucky.

DSSKing68
07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
That is the one thing that really scares me about riding. I lost a friend to a deer/bike collision, and I think it is always in the back of my mind.

It still amazes me to see squids riding with no gear tearing up the streets on their gixxers....one oops and they are gonna be a hurting SOB.

I may look goofy with a helmet, jacket, gloves, and pants...but I can take off clothes when I get there...I can't put on skin.

Plus I got my three kidlins to think about. :)

Galaxie
07-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Back in May I topped a hill on the way to work and hit a rock bigger than a grape fruit at 60 mph with my front wheel .There was a car coming the other direction so there was no swerving and not enough time to go the other way without going down for sure . I just squeezed as tight as I could and got through it. I did manage to keep from going down but did have decent wobble for about 30 ft . It scuffed up my lower fairing and dented the header up pretty decent . It was no deer but enough to make me nervous everytime I go by this guys house now . I have wheel pics . http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/galaxie1_/Bent%20Wheel/

Lt. Dangle
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Buddy of mine set a wheelie down on a deers back years ago, fucked him and the bike up pretty good, but yeah, the deer pop seems way up.

sean
07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I dont believe there is a right way to hit anything let alone a deer. I have been riding @ 20 years and have come close to hitting a few deer and the only thing for sure is just like when your in a car, your either going to hit it or your going to have an interesting story for later. I dont thing hitting the throttle on a bike is much of an option. Other than not thinking its smart you usually dont have as much time on a bike as you may in a car to think about it and your natural instinct is to hit the brakes. I have hit one in a car on the highway by kings island and i had enought seconds to either hit the brakes or hit the gas. There was someone behind me so I naturally down shifted and hit the gas.. lol Now I have an interesting story. Be smart about the times you ride for sure. I love riding a motorcycle even though I do believe its one of the most dangerous things you can do but if you try to stay off the back roads early morning and around dusk your usually going to be ok with the deer. But as we all know we have seen them all througout the day. I also try to be in when the bars let out too.