Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Back from the brink [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Back from the brink

winner70ta
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
On January 3rd I had been diagnosed with colon cancer. Two days later the doc called back with a little better news in that it was not colon cancer buy it was still a cancer. a lymphoma (large B-cell, non-Hodgekins). To say that it was a shock was an understatement. I had just retired last August and was looking forwards to finally not being on a schedule, seeing the grandkids and messing with the Mustang. I had used up a bunch of sick time before I retired. Not from knowing that anything was wrong with me but there had been a big change in the job structure (hostile takeover by another department) and our mother had suffered a severe stroke at the end of Feb 2010 and was in a nursing home undergoing some rehab. Well, rehab in name which caused all of the siblings stress and grief.
By November some of my interest in cars had definitely fallen off and I was having some issues in the digestive arena. Then I started having some back pain in the leftside, similar to kidney stones jabbing at you, and eventually at night the pain would radiate over to the rightside. My doc for some reason thought it was gas or something inflamed and truthfully he should have had me done a catscan then but he did not. He gave me a steroid which helped for a couple of weeks but the pain came back.
Finally I had a run to the ER which they could not find anything for what brought me there (bloody stool...sorry TMI). That dock suggested that I get scanned.
Back to my family doc who sent me to get scanned just before Christmas. The results saw a thickening in the colon wall. That led to the colonoscopy on Jan 3rd.
I have gone through six rounds of chemo, what they called the R-CHOP for treating lymphoma. The good thing of it was that I was not supposed to get cut open, that they lymphoma would "melt" away. I did undergo three life threatening ordeals as a result of the chemo:
1. After the first treatment I became nutipenic <sp?> where the chemo wiped out most of my white blood cells and I had to be hosptalized for 3 1/2days.
2. After my second treatment I got a blood clot in my right lung. This was the sametime that Serena Williams also had gotten the samething. Being that did not kill me right off they placed me back into the hospital for a day just for observance.

After my third treatment they sent me to the hospital to have a full body scan done, PT scan done. Now I had went through this once when I was diagnosed and was determined that I was at Stage 4 as to how the cancer was affecting me and how it was in my lymph nodes throughout my body. This scan came back and showed that I was clean! The oncologist was almost giddy that I had responded so well to the treatment. Then...

3. I was due to get my 4th treatment but was having some pain and discomfort in my gut. They CT scanned me again to see what was going on but could not see anything. Doc held off on my treatment thankfully. What happened then was on Sunday night\Monday morning of March 28 I got more pysically sick than I had ever been. I was able to get to the car and my wife rushed me to the ER. They x-rayed me and was able to see a perforation in my colon and all of the good stuff was going into my body. That required immediate surgery.

So the surgery that I wanted to avoid happened anyway just under more dire circumstances. What had happened was that where the tumor had attatched itself in my cecum that when it melted away it weakened the area where it had attatched and just like a weak hose it blew out.
So I was able to finish my chemo treatments and all looks great. When the did the surgery they were able to biopsy the piece that was removed where the tumor was and found no living cancer cells. I also had another body scan and was clean.
So as I recoupe and get my strength back (longer process when you are older) I'm beginning to feel like my old self. I have to tell you that your perception of life certainly changes after going through that type of experience. Thank God I have a loving wife and family!
Thanks for reading now go out and have fun.
-Bob

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
That is freakn AWESOME!!!!!!!!! congrats!

03z06vette
07-26-2011, 11:37 AM
X10 Amazing, congrats!!!

k062693w
07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
WOW !!! Welcome Back ...

Congratulations on the Recovery ...

mad max
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
congrats on the recovery and the good news.

lxenvy
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
That is amazing.... Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!

jlt2006
07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
It is always great when you can be one of the survivors.

A person definitely needs to enjoy what time we have on this earth.

Congrats on the good news and enjoy those grandkids.

Stangman
07-26-2011, 12:53 PM
You're very lucky. Glad to hear they knocked it out of you. Lost my aunt earlier this year due to cancer.

chris91
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Congrats man! Hope you kicked its ass good!!

pegasus
07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
congrats man!!

mustangboy
07-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Sounds scary as hell, Congrats on being clean!!!!

04 Venom
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Kinda puts things in perspective. Continued good health.

02mingryGT
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes, continued good health.

05yellowgt
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow, what a roller coaster. I'm very glad to hear that you are doing better now. It is amazing what our bodies can do to themselves (cancers) and what doctors can do these days to combat it!

KB1
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you for sharing your story, it is inspirational, glad that you are on the mend!!!!!! :bigthumb:bigthumb

Kevin1989
07-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Thats Awesome Bob! so glad to hear your making a good recovery!

winner70ta
07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks to you all. Another terrible thing that went on during that time was that we lost our mom in early April. It was just a couple of weeks post surgery and at least I was unable to attend the funeral.
After I was diagnosed and started treatment Barb and I did not go to see her anymore in the nursing home. There are just too many germs, viruses and crud in these places and it was not safe for me to go. Plus although mom could not speak anymore (her right side was paralyzed from the stroke) her mind was still active and she knew\recognized people and activity. My siblings let her know that I was very sick and that it was not in either of our best interests for me to go to visit her. Truly sucked having to hide what I had but we all did not want her to worry. I did get to see her shortly before the whole surgery thing happened. My brothers and sister had said that she had not been doing real well. Barb and I saw her but she was sleeping mostly, only openind her eyes for just a small bit and I think\hoped that she smiled before going back to sleep. Kept a hat on to conceal my bald head just in case. She made it to age 90 and I guess that we all should be so lucky to make it that long.

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Congratulations man! It's a great thing your recovering well, and keep at it!
Also if you need any hats I've got about a bajillion if you want some, They're mostly camo though.

firestang70
07-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Bob so glad to hear you are doing better. Hope the rest of retirement is not so exciting.

NXcoupe
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Glad you're ok.

Lt. Dangle
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Badass to hear this, especially since my dad was just diagnosed with colon cancer. They are going to do the surgery on him immediately though, but apparently it's all localized, and shouldn't be too bad.

This is awesome though man, congrats for making cancer your bitch.

draggin50
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Congrats!!! Glad your in better health now!

furiouslyfaster
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Glad you ok man Cancer sucks lost my grandpa to cancer last Jan. Stay healthy man.

CNTLOSE
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Bob good to see you back on here and glad you kicked cancer's ass!

... have to admit it was kind weird seeing you posting on here. Just 10 minutes ago I was looking at pics of the yellow 'vert calling myself a dumbass for selling it.

NXcoupe
07-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Bob good to see you back on here and glad you kicked cancer's ass!

... have to admit it was kind weird seeing you posting on here. Just 10 minutes ago I was looking at pics of the yellow 'vert calling myself a dumbass for selling it.

Dumbass!!! lol, just couldn't resist!

Blkcobra01
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Congrats stay healthy hope its gone for good.

beefcake
07-31-2011, 03:46 PM
glad everythings working out.

i'd definately recommend some natural supplements as a future precaution

definately look into essiac

here is some info on it

http://www.essiacinfo.org/

Katmandu
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow Bob! So sorry to hear of your ordeal and very, very happy that you've made a great recovery !!! :bigthumb :bigthumb

Life is so short and precious...it's a sad that a lot of people don't realize this and have HATERD in their hearts.