Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Is cricket worth the money? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is cricket worth the money?

Gstang117
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I am looking at getting service from cricket and was wondering if it was as good as the commercial sounds. Alot of reviews go both ways and seem biased. Have any of you guys used it and is it worth paying the 55 a month for?

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
get with Chris91 i'm 99% sure he uses Cricket

skeptiq
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
My brother in law had cricket and his only complaint was, there were some apps / text things they wouldn't allow him to do. For example... you can text "who won the 1988 world series" to google(466453) and they will give you the answer... he couldn't do that. Also, anything that streamed data from the network was blocked. The was about 3 years ago, so I don't know if it has changed since then, but that was his experience with cricket.

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 09:52 AM
My brother in law had cricket and his only complaint was, there were some apps / text things they wouldn't allow him to do.
I doubt I'll be using much of that for the time being, I'm looking just for service to keep me connected, but thanks for the info!

get with Chris91 i'm 99% sure he uses Cricket
Will do

AntiRice427
07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Cricket isn't bad. Boostmobile is better. It uses the sprint network which is a lot bigger than cricket.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I've been on Cricket for a few years now, it has advantages and disadvantages.

Good:

No contract, no extra charges, what you see is what you get. My bill is exactly the same, never any surprises. If i'm broke one month for some reason, i can just not pay and they shut it off...no late fees, no overages, just pay to get it turned back on. They also do what they call bridge payments, which is something like half your bill for a week if you're going to be late paying it. You OWN your phone, so you can use it a year later if you feel like it. I have home internet through them and internet on my phone. Home internet is not the best, it's pretty slow especially for uploading files, but i'm on it right now and if you don't do anything that's bandwidth heavy it'll get you by. I don't game online or stream movies and stuff like that. You Tube videos will take a few minutes to buffer depending on the size. I pay $60 each for two phones ($55 unlimited talk/text/internet/data plan plus $5 phone insurance) and i think $40 for the internet. Me and the GF both have Huawei Ascends, which is a decent phone and i think $150 or so. It has 8gb memory, 3g, Android OS, i get aps from the Android market, built in Mp3 player..all the typical smart phone stuff.

Bad:

You buy the phones out right...so if you want a nice smart phone, get ready to pay full price for it unless you catch them on sale. A lot of their phones are crappy, but they're starting to get nicer phones now that they're getting smart phones. Unlocked phones are hit and miss as far as working properly or not. Coverage is hit and miss especially the further you get away from Cincinnati. If you travel a lot, this is not the company for you. Sometimes they have issues with receiving multiple texts for no reason at all, so you'll get "whats up" two or three times from someone (fortunately with unlimited texts, it's just an annoyance and doesn't cost you extra). The home internet is probably not worth the money...the cool part is that it's totally portable, so if you have a laptop you can take the USB modem with you anywhere and use your internet anywhere you want, as well as taking it to a friends house who may not have internet. I've even used my internet on display computers at Walmart (the modem has drivers built in and they automatically install when you plug it into a PC). I'm eventually going to drop the internet and get broadband again, but if you just need basic internet, it's not a bad deal. You have to buy the modem out right too.

chris91
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Me and the wife have had them for about 3 years now. Only complaint is their customer service is outsourced (is there any that arent now?) and sometimes you hit areas that you get no service at all(like almost ALL of New Richmond). Sometimes my phone acts weird but I just update it and itll act fine again. And yeah, you have to pay good prices for their phones. But with all the bad comes the good too, their prices cant be touched. We pay $100 per month for unlimited everything. Granted we dont have Android phones or anything fancy yet. Mine gets on the net and everything fine though so I dont really feel I need anything special for what I use it for. I have my laptops for that if I need em.

Ya know Ive had my buddy who is on Verizon send me mass texts like you talk about too David. Get the same message like 5 times in a row. Gets pretty damn annoying when you're trying to reply and it keeps interrupting you. lol But yeah, Ive had that happen with the wife sending me texts too.

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
yea Chris I don't get any service in New Richmond either and I have Tmobile..... and I do get multiple texts of the same thing from you at times

chris91
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
ROFL, you should tell me when that happens. I tell my buddy with Verizon about it everytime just to rub it in. lol Must be a blanket over NR. Anyone else have this problem with a different company? Oh and in certain houses I get no service too. Weird shit, walk outside and boom, have service again. Kinda like the house is made of Lead or some shit. heh

Pitbull1052
07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
ROFL, you should tell me when that happens. I tell my buddy with Verizon about it everytime just to rub it in. lol Must be a blanket over NR. Anyone else have this problem with a different company? Oh and in certain houses I get no service too. Weird shit, walk outside and boom, have service again. Kinda like the house is made of Lead or some shit. heh

Eh it doesnt bother me it's not like we charged per text so it's not a big deal i usually just laugh about it and go on....... my buds get good reception in NR but they have Verizon

Dirtyd0g
07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I get mixed reviews. a buddy of mine had it and loved it, another buddy set his hole family up with phones from them and they were complete crap that wouldn't work anywhere. I have heard more bad than good but my buddy Chris swears it was the best service he has had. I had Verizon for years and still think they are the best however I use Cincinnati bell now and cannot complain much. I think a good bit of it is the actual phone you have not the company. I know Cricket prepaid is a joke. If they forget to put the money on your account you better have proof you paid them because they will not make it right. A friend of mine paid them with a electronic check and she never got her minutes. We called corporate and they said take it to the store, we went to the store and they said call corporate. After all that they told us we had to go to the main store in florence. They all claimed they could not fix it, but when I said screw it call the bank because it was a debit transaction dispute the charges and take your business elsewhere they magically knew how to fix it.
Alan

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Hmm alright, thanks for the info guys. I think I may take this one. I dont plan on traveling outside of ohio, unless its down to the boonies of Kentucky, which usually doesn't get service anyways. I might hit up that sale if they still have it and just let the old contract run out.

Blackout
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I get my Foster kids Cricket when they move out and get on there own. It's best for them being no contract.

I have T-Mobile and have been with them going on 7 years. But if it wasn't for the contract I would definately consider the change.

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Isn't T-Moblie getting bought out?

Blackout
07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
They were bought by AT&T but they as of for the next 3-4 years staying separate. I talked to them when it all went down and they said that they wished that the media would have not said that AT&T was taking over. If that was the case I wouldn't be with them.

Just so you know. If you have a AT&T or T-Mobile phone, you can also have Cricket reprogram it for there service. This will at least save you a little money. I pay $198 tax and all for 3 phones all unlimited everything. My wife burns up 10,000+ minutes a month, so I had to have it unlimited. :)

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Nope, I've got cincinnati bell. Good customer service, but kinda 'spensive. And wow 10,000 minutes! I think my longest conversation on a phone was 12 minutes and I spent half of it on hold lol

Blackout
07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
yeah I tell my wife all the time, "whats the point of having a (mobile) phone if its always tied to the wall charging" .....lol

Gstang117
07-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Bahahaha Nice!

mad max
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Blackout - I hope shes making you some money with all that time spent on the phone.

setty2706
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I have used cricket for 4 yrs or so .. Other then cheap phones i have no major complaints...

Good phone you will pay a good chunk !!!!

Blackout
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Blackout - I hope shes making you some money with all that time spent on the phone.

My wife & me are Foster Parents & with 7-8 kids in our home at all times & we have to keep in touch with county workers & doctors constantly.

heyitsmepugsley
07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
me and my girlfriend both have huawei acend smartphone and i have no complaints except every now and then losing service but not very much i use the internet all the time i get on alldata at least 2 or 3 times a day and its pretty quick. for the money they are great. just my opinon. but im sure in different places its different as well.