Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Detailing... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Detailing...

Markcore
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Wondering if any of you are like me and care just as much about how my car looks as it performs. I've been doing a lot of reading about how to properly detail a car (paint correction, polishing, waxing, ect) and hope to perfect this art. I have a few "test" cars lined up to see how it goes. Tired of paying +$150 for a job thats no better than what I do in my driveway.

2007ShelbyCobra
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
good luck! I like to detail my car every once in a while, but I just use the best I can get at O Reilly. Id like to buy better quality materials but I dont have time or money to do it. Good exterior wax's and polishes are fairly easy to find, but id like to ask a pro what he/she uses on interior pieces

Markcore
07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks! I trying to make my way to the Meguiars detailing 101, and their advanced class. Chemical Guy's seems to be one of choice, but I think Meguiar's is hard to beat too.

beefcake
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I try to keep my stuff nice, but Johnny's down on beechmont here is just flat out bad ass, they do a hell of a job detailing and buffing and stuff

NaomiDstangLvr
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I try to keep my stuff nice, but Johnny's down on beechmont here is just flat out bad ass, they do a hell of a job detailing and buffing and stuff

So does my husband! He's good at buffing and paint corrections. He's worked at a few detail shops....I did interiors...

SJSlots
07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I do my own too... too often according to my wife. Even last night, with the car not having left the garage since Friday evening I went out with a damp chamois and wipes it down and cleaned the glass.

I would like to find some heavy duty compound though. I have MeGuiars Scratch-X and Ultimate compound for light scuffs and swirls but I have a couple deeper scratches that the stuff I have just won't take out.

Markcore
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I do my own too... too often according to my wife. Even last night, with the car not having left the garage since Friday evening I went out with a damp chamois and wipes it down and cleaned the glass.

I would like to find some heavy duty compound though. I have MeGuiars Scratch-X and Ultimate compound for light scuffs and swirls but I have a couple deeper scratches that the stuff I have just won't take out.

Try their M105 followed by the M205.

Markcore
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM

What does he charge?

beefcake
07-05-2011, 03:50 PM
What does he charge?

depends on the size, the excursion i just had done was 189 for a full detail,

shampoo carpets, buff the paint, etc..

looks great for a 2000

cstreu1026
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
$189 is pretty cheap for something that has more square footage than a lot of houses.

beefcake
07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
$189 is pretty cheap for something that has more square footage than a lot of houses.

lmao, they do a great job,

rtvickers
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I really need some paint correction. I have rock chips in my hood. And a few other chips. Any suggestions?

beefcake
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I really need some paint correction. I have rock chips in my hood. And a few other chips. Any suggestions?

clear bras work good

chris91
07-05-2011, 05:46 PM

For chips that are already there you should pick up some paint(Find a paint store thatll sell a small amount if you can) and a small fine bristle paint brush you normally find at art supply/hobby stores. Mine were like 12 bucks a piece but WELL worth it. I used to do that for a living along with the detailing that I currently do. All you need to do is dab the paint in the chip, dont do like 9 outta 10 people do and gob it on it and all over the paint around it. Let it dry then dab a little more on there until its level with the rest and itll look fine. It may take 3-4 applications but definitely worth it in the end as long as you do it neatly and as long as the paint matches.

rtvickers
07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
clear bras work good

Yeah, Ive looked into them. I may do it after I get the rock chips fixed.

rtvickers
07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
For chips that are already there you should pick up some paint(Find a paint store thatll sell a small amount if you can) and a small fine bristle paint brush you normally find at art supply/hobby stores. Mine were like 12 bucks a piece but WELL worth it. I used to do that for a living along with the detailing that I currently do. All you need to do is dab the paint in the chip, dont do like 9 outta 10 people do and gob it on it and all over the paint around it. Let it dry then dab a little more on there until its level with the rest and itll look fine. It may take 3-4 applications but definitely worth it in the end as long as you do it neatly and as long as the paint matches.

Wow. There is a lot of them. But like you said its worth it. Could I use touch up paint to match my paint code?

chris91
07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
As long as it matches you should be good. Ive had some of those Duplicolor crap be way off in color and so thick you have to thin it down with Lacquer Thinner. You have to think about paint fade, etc. Id just try it on a inconspicuous spot first and see how it looks after its dry.

motox159
07-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Clear bras are a hell of alot better than pasties!

Roush GT
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I do detailing on the side. I was charging people $100 for a full detailing. it's something I really enjoy doing. of course most were newer cars and the paint was in pretty good shape.

flyin2jz
07-05-2011, 09:38 PM
If you want to learn to detail go to autogeek.net. they have a bunch of diy videos for people trying to learn the art of paint correction. If your buying stuff at a local parts store your really just covering stuff up with inferior products. If 40 bux is expensive for wax then autogeek.net is prolly not the site for you. The best thing to do is go on there and get a kit that includes the porter cable and all the products. I have tried alot of meguires stuff and dont like it at all. The best out there for the money is wolfgang. You can get a kit of it for around 100 bux. Its pretty much retard proof so you dont have to worry about messing stuff up. Foam pads only unless your a pro then wool is fine.

blown86lx
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I detailed cars at a huge dealer in columbus from when I was 16 until I was 22 and finished college if you have any questions shoot me a pm. Im not on here as much as I used be. As soon as the shop gets built at my house I am going to start detailing again. I already have a carpet shampooing maching and my buffer. I used to get 120 for a car and 175 for an suv when I did it on the side. That's a 2 stage buff with compund then a 2nd buff with a glaze then a good wax. And a full interior detail. If anyone around the columbus area wants any detailing done my shop will be open in about a month. You can drop it off and pick it up or I can come get it its up to you. Turn around time is about 8 to 10 hours. Its hard work but the end result is worth it.

Crucial
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Adam's is the easiest stuff to use ... love this stuff ...

check out these videos

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

chris91
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I agree with Flyin. Autogeek has everything youll ever need plus some. A Porter Cable 7424 is one of the best investments you can make. Makes the job a lot easier and faster. Anyone can use one too, with a Porter Cable its almost impossible to mess up the paint unless you're using a very abrasive product. Lake Country makes nice pads for them that can be washed and re-used multiple times. Ive used theirs for years now. Foam pads will get out minor scratches and swirls. Anything major and youll need a high speed buffer with a wool pad but then like Flyin said, you take the risk of burning paint if you dont know what you're doing. Meguiar's Pro Products arent bad to use though, I use them on most of my details. Their normal line isnt any better than Eagle One or Armor All products though.

HawksWR37
07-06-2011, 12:17 AM
I have worked at a dealership details cars (amongst other things) for 3 years now. and yet every weekend im pulling mine out to polish and wax everything. I like to protect my investment.

chris91
07-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Yeah after you learn how to do it right it becomes an addition. lol Its bad when you're walking through a parking lot and you spot cars that you could make look tons better after a nice polishing. :lol: Here lately, those are the cars Ive been putting my business cards on. :D