Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
89 Jeep Wrangler Issues [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 89 Jeep Wrangler Issues

Gstang117
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Didn't want to put this in the tech part of the forum, because I don't really know where it would go, but I just went out to look at a jeep wrangler. Real solid, rhino lined underbelly 2.5liter with new pipe new tranny and clutch. But when I tried to start it, the thing stalls and dies when if its not given gas. I think its the o2 sensor but I'm not for sure and I don't want to pay on a loan for a jeep that has bigger issues.
Also I found rust in the dipstick, although it seems to come from the tube itself and not the engine.
Initial check: Rust on the dipstick and in the oil
2nd check: Less rust on oil none on stick
3rd check: No rust on oil or on stick
What do you guys think?

big cheif
06-30-2011, 03:01 AM
walk away! yj wranglers have junk trannys. I had a 2000 tj with a 4.0 5-speed. The ride difference from leaf springs to coils is night and day. sounds like this thing has more issues than what it is worth. Expecially if you have to get a loan for it.

Gstang117
06-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Hmm okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning

inferno50
06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
I say keep looking. I can't believe how well those things hold their value.

Gstang117
06-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Yea. There's one down the road from me with some frame rot and the drivers side floorpan gone and he wants 3500 for it. Doubt he'll get that much, but if you were to look for something like a truck with that kind of problems you'd be paying a hell of alot less

thecollector
06-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I had an 89 and hated it. Same combo as yours, pretty sure it was carbed. Sounds like the carb needs rebuilt on your prospect. My personnel policy is I don't get loans for cars that don't run but that's just me. A 2.5L and 5spd on the highway felt like automotive abuse just to get 60mph out of it on my commute. I picked up mine for $900 played with it thru the summer and dumped it before winter came. I handformed a stainless floorpan the day I picked it up since the tub resembled something out of Bed Rock. The work put in far exceeded the fun I got out of it.

My brother in law has a 98 XJ (boxy cherokee sport) he's looking to sell if your interested. It doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere and also has a LS rear end. He's asking 3200 but it could be bought better than that.

mustangboy
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with the above about the loan. Don't take a loan out on a car like that you are just asking for trouble. In fact if you have to take a loan out on a beater you better have a bank roll saved up to constantly repair it.

sean
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
If you can go with 97 or newer and get the 4.0. That 2.5 sucks and if you put bigger tires on it and plan on driving on the highway your going to hate it.

facemelter71
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
89 YJ 2.5L was Throttle body injected. And if it is stalling out,then it could be clogged injector,bad crank sensor or a whole slew of other things. My parents have one that I have been rebuilding for a long time.

Gstang117
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys :bigthumb

My brother in law has a 98 XJ (boxy cherokee sport) he's looking to sell if your interested. It doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere and also has a LS rear end. He's asking 3200 but it could be bought better than that.

Is it the standard or automatic transmission? I'd be really interested if it was a standard, my brother has an 87 and its a ton of fun to drive but I can't stand automatics. :(

If you can go with 97 or newer and get the 4.0. That 2.5 sucks and if you put bigger tires on it and plan on driving on the highway your going to hate it. I don't do much highway driving but I am planning on swapping the 2.5 for a 4.0 if I can't find a decent 4.0

full force
07-05-2011, 07:20 AM
just buy a 4.0..... don't plan on changing it from a 2.5 to 4.0... need more then just engine and after the cost you can buy one... DO NOT buy a 2.5... they are so slow....had 1 years ago... hated the power... fine off road and thats it, mine was just off road toy mainly but getting back and forth sucked on hwy!!