Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Need Some Help with a 2001 Escape [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help with a 2001 Escape

Black Horse
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
3.0 V6 - lately everytime it rains a bunch the cars misses/runs rough then once it warms up it goes great. This last time is just got worse, the front cat was so hot it melted the front air dam. Pulled the codes and #1 and #4 missfire. Pulled everything apart (had to replace the rear valve cover gasket to fix that leak), went ahead and replaced the #1 and #4 coil packs, the plugs were replaced a few months back. Pulled apart all the connections (COP plugs, harness connectors, connector to ECM) checked for broken wires and added a little dielectric grease to help out any moisture/connection issue. Started it up and had a "popping" miss sound then went real rough/hard labored chugging. Now it won't start, or even a few backfires.
If I didn't know well I would think it jumped time, but the symptoms seem more electrical. ECM perhaps?

I'll could use some of your knowledge on this if anyone has had anything like this before, or if anyone could recommend a repair shop close to me. I am fed up with trying to figure this one out.

03z06vette
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Get a scanner and watch live data. sounds like a bad CKP|CMP. Also check the harness real good, if it melted the air dam i bet it melted some other stuff.... Gool luck!

Stangman
06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
My moms escape did the same thing sorta. They had a fuel tank evap TSB. Debris clogs the fuel neck vent tube when its wet/snowy out, makes it run bad. The fix was pulling the vent tube out of its current location, shortening it, putting the cap back on it, and stuffing it in the frame rail.

Not sure if this is your issue, but you may want to look in to it

Black Horse
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I would think that a bad crank sensor would not allow it to run at all and throw a code of its own. This is the damnedness thing I have ever seen.

facemelter71
06-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Pm TheCollector. He worked on a bunch of these. I cant remember that far back from my Short stint at Ford. But if its getting the cat that hot, its def' dumping some fuel.

Regular questions to get them out of the way.

1-this only happen's when its wet?
2-For how long has this happened?
3-If you run it through a carwash,will it do this?
4-Where did you buy the plugs and COP's from?

Black Horse
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
1-this only happen's when its wet? YES
2-For how long has this happened? First noticed a year ago winter - a rain, freeze then a bad miss. Sat in the garage for a couple of days - no more problems until this year when it has been so wet.
3-If you run it through a carwash,will it do this? I have tried hosed the engine compartment, no issues. It seems more like a condensation type of event (wet weather, temperature changes)
4-Where did you buy the plugs and COP's from? Plugs were Motorcraft - same that it came with it new. COP's were from O'Reilly.

I'm thinking I need to have this thing towed to someone with the proper dianostic equipment.

89notch
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Your welcome to hook it to my autoenginuity scanner......just come get it just try to bring it back by sunday

Stangman
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
1-this only happen's when its wet? YES
2-For how long has this happened? First noticed a year ago winter - a rain, freeze then a bad miss. Sat in the garage for a couple of days - no more problems until this year when it has been so wet.
3-If you run it through a carwash,will it do this? I have tried hosed the engine compartment, no issues.

Same issues we had.

All the bad weather, rain/snow etc. kicked up in to the wheel wells along with the dirt and road grime clogged up that tube i mentioned earlier. When it got real moist out, car ran bad. When it dried up, it ran ok... til it rained/snowed

thecollector
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
If the cat is hot enough to melt an air damn that is an issue on its own. That much raw fuel could foul out/ plug a cat which could give you the issue as well. Need to check cmp input w/ a scanner as well as any codes, then check live data to see what's up w/ the crank no start- I'm assumming the crank no start is a constant condition now regardless of moisture. Doubt the motor jumped timing, a dohc V-6 running oiled chains doesn't usually let enough timing variance for the motor to not start. What's the mileage on the motor? I have been burned a few times by aftermarket cop's however I don't think that's your no start issue. I pmed you my #.