Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
fuel system for a N/A 4.6 [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : fuel system for a N/A 4.6

Jake
06-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Im in the process of building a high compression N/A 2 valve 4.6 for my 98. so far I have a 96 shortblock with a stock crank, forged rods and pistons. with a set of PI livernois stage 3 heads. I think I will get some PI cams and intake just to get the motor in this summer. but later I plan on the biggest cams I can get to work with the motor. and some sort of aftermarket intake. I may also go e85, but not entirely sure on that yet. Im wanting between 300-350 at the tire. and once I get the cams and intake, I feel like that is possible.
Im concerning myself with the fuel system now because my tank sprung a leak when I filled it up today (fifty dollars out the door!) I dont know exactly what Im going to do, but I think dropping the tank is in my future, so I thought I would see what all you guys thought was neccessary for me to do while Im working on it. fuel pump? aftermarket tank? or will the stock system be fine for my plans? I dont know much about fuel systems, but I have heard that the 98 is different than the 96-97 and the 99 and up.
thanks for the help!
-Jake.

redfirepearlgt
06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Many go with a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump for additonal flow. About $100 or so depending on where you purchase from.

cstreu1026
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
The 98 is a bastard year. There is only one drop in replacement that I know of and its a 255 lhp sold by vortech, and they collect a premium on it. Nxcoupe is assembling the engine for my car now and it will be approximately 12:1 with TFS heads and Modular Head Shop stage 5 cams. I am planning to use the Vortech pump with 42# injectors which should allow me to run pump gas or E85. We're going to be doing a tune for both.

Blackout
06-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah, the 98's are a pain in the ass year for sure. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the rail, the tank is like the 99-04's with the canister. They are still a return syle though wich makes it a little better. I have seen where some people are able to get the Walbro 255's to work but it takes a little patience.

bobtsgt
06-13-2011, 08:27 AM
you may want to look into getting a complete fuel system out of a wrecked 96 or 97 and swap yours outs. For what you want a stock system will be fine with some good injectors and a single 255 in tank. no need to go fuel cell or a aeromotive

HawksWR37
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
what happened to not putting money in your car?

JIMS SVT
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I ran a Lincoln Aviator pump in my 98. They are supposed to flow alot more than a 255.30lb injectors and it made over 380rwhp na.

Blkcobra01
06-13-2011, 07:45 PM
For your Fuel Leak check where your filler neck goes into your tank under the car. There is a rubber gromett/gasket, where the neck goes to the tank. Those dry rot, and that could be were your leak is.

Jake
06-13-2011, 11:04 PM
The 98 is a bastard year. There is only one drop in replacement that I know of and its a 255 lhp sold by vortech, and they collect a premium on it. Nxcoupe is assembling the engine for my car now and it will be approximately 12:1 with TFS heads and Modular Head Shop stage 5 cams. I am planning to use the Vortech pump with 42# injectors which should allow me to run pump gas or E85. We're going to be doing a tune for both.

how much is the vortech? if I got that and some decent injectors I should be fine even if I decide to go e85 later? meaning the rest of the fuel system would support e85 (I have heard that it doesnt work well with some lines?)
thanks for the help! I was hoping you would chime in after talking with you at dayton performance. :bigthumb

Jake
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
you may want to look into getting a complete fuel system out of a wrecked 96 or 97 and swap yours outs. For what you want a stock system will be fine with some good injectors and a single 255 in tank. no need to go fuel cell or a aeromotive

do you think I would be better off that way? or would what cstreu suggested be sufficient? if they are even close to the same price I would lean towards the vortech pump. just to save myself some hassle in swapping a whole system. thanks for the input!

Jake
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
what happened to not putting money in your car?

I decided that it was quitter talk! :D

Jake
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I ran a Lincoln Aviator pump in my 98. They are supposed to flow alot more than a 255.30lb injectors and it made over 380rwhp na.

it would be a direct swap for the 98? that seems to be a great route to take.

Jake
06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
For your Fuel Leak check where your filler neck goes into your tank under the car. There is a rubber gromett/gasket, where the neck goes to the tank. Those dry rot, and that could be were your leak is.

I think that is where it is. I will need to replace it to be sure. I overreacted a bit, I just assumed I was f*#@ed when I saw gas pouring everywhere considering my luck lately.
but Im almost glad it happened, because it got me thinking about an aspect of my car that I wasnt too concerned with and might have overlooked until it was too late.
thanks for all the help and input guys!

cstreu1026
06-14-2011, 07:44 AM
how much is the vortech? if I got that and some decent injectors I should be fine even if I decide to go e85 later? meaning the rest of the fuel system would support e85 (I have heard that it doesnt work well with some lines?)
thanks for the help! I was hoping you would chime in after talking with you at dayton performance. :bigthumb

I had to look to see what they are going for now and I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. They are ~$400 now, what a f'n joke! I would find a tank out of earlier car and go that route. Hell you can get a brand new stock replacement tank for about $100.

cobraman302
06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Do all '98 Cobra and GT's have this issue. I thought the Cobras were mixed on whether they have returno or returnless systems and different fuel tank/lines. Wasn't sure on the GT's though. Seems like a transition year for them to use up left over parts.

JIMS SVT
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
it would be a direct swap for the 98? that seems to be a great route to take.

All I did was went to ford and got the pump. Pulled my tank and replaced the pump. Good to go.

Brandon Alsept
06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Just get a 96-97 Tank, and put in a walbro 255 and your set.

HawksWR37
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I decided that it was quitter talk! :D

So is being a vegetarian.

Jake
06-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Just get a 96-97 Tank, and put in a walbro 255 and your set.

if I can find one at a reasonable price, I think this is my best bet for now.

thanks for all the help everyone!

cobraman302
06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I have a low mileage Walbro 255 I am taking out of my '97 Cobra if you are interested. Let me know.