Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anybody have an opinion on gas weed eaters / trimmers? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have an opinion on gas weed eaters / trimmers?

5.0calypso93lx
06-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Now that I kind of care what my landscaping looks like I'm in the market for a nice gas weed trimmer.

Are there any brands anyone likes more than another?

I'd like to buy a nice one right now that will last me several years. My lot is .38 acres and there's not a whole lot of landscaping and no fence at this time. I do have a fire pit out back, a utility pole in the front yard and around the mailbox. That's mainly all I'll be using this thing for.

I know the string itself plays a big role in how well the trimmer cuts also.

Anyone have any experience in this field? Landscaping guys?

thecollector
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Pick up a used name brand one from C-list or a power distributor:Echo, stihl, redmax, Husqvarana, tannaka efco etc. Stay away from Big box store stuff and sears. For best service life get one with a straight shaft. I've had my KM 85 R (stihl combi-system head) for 9 years trouble free with 3 years of commercial use during that time. Line does have a lot to do with it but most of the units sold @ home depot/lowes can't take the good large line.

cstreu1026
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I've had my Troy-bilt that I bought at Lowes for 7 years now and had no problems. I specifically bought it because it was a 4 cycle engine and I didn't have to mixed oil with the gas.

DSSKing68
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I bought a Ryobi last year, the 100 dollar one from HD. It has the split shaft for attachments. Didn't use it much last year due to the dry weather, maybe 2x. Ran it dry and stored it for winter.

This year, first time out...not pretty. Let's just say I used it like a sledgehammer off of my driveway.

It should be headed to Mt. Rumpke today.

Consumer reports just did a review of them my dad said, I don't get the magazine, but I may look into that issue.

I am leaning toward a Stihl.

Pitbull1052
06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I prefer the one's with a straight shaft not a cable shaft, I've put a table saw blade on mine before to chop brush.......

Dirtyd0g
06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Stihl are best hands down. unfortunately most people don't use them enough to own an expensive one. The dirt cheap ones work good but when something goes wrong just throw them away. I have owned several of them and some have lasted 2-3 uses and others have lasted 2-3 years. Dumb stuff breaks and they just cannot be fixed. That said I just purchased a sears unit with the 3 year extended warranty. The primer bulb cracked and they have already sent me a spare carb for it. The good part about them is warranty or not you can get parts. For the average person this seems to be the best way to go about it. If spending $300 on one is in the plans go buy a stihl. If you plan to throw it away at the end of the summer go get a dirt cheap one. If you want a few years out of it and plan to spend about $100 the sears seems to be the answer.
Alan

2Kblacksleeper
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
From working at home depot, I don't like Ryobi or home light.

I have an Echo that I've had since I was 15. I'm 30 now. Still runs like a champ. I have never had work done to it. just a spark plug here and there. It has been used hard.
Just remembered the only part I did have to replace was the spooler head. I somehow striped out the center section.
Go with the straight shaft.

ibstrokin
06-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Stihl or Echo, straight shaft, check local pawn shops. My brother recently replaced his Ryobi with a pawn shop Stihl. The nice thing about Stihl/Echo is parts will always be available. As stated above, the fix for a Ryobi is Mt. Rumpke.

Black Horse
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
For $300 you should be able to have Jose and his merry band of weedwackers stop by and do it for you for at least 2 summers!

RIXXX93GT
06-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Like said previously get an Echo or Stihl, drop about 300-350 and do it once.

Timido
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Straight shaft with a loop handle. Bike bars if you do alot of fences trees and other horizontal weed eating I have had good luck with stihl

5.0calypso93lx
06-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna keep my eye peeled on craigslist. Called about the 55r in Erlanger for $150 but it's already sold.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Stay away from Ryobi, ours works great somehow but everyone else I know that has one it doesnt start or run very well. I always look for ones with an easy process to change wire, cause I have a led finger and like to try and cut down metal fences and large trees :)

rtvickers
06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I work for local government and we do alot of weed eating. We use Honda weedeaters. I think they work great. Ive used stihl also but prefer the Honda. Just my .02. Easy to start, run smooth, and last a long time.

SMOKE
06-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a Ryobi and love it. Haven't had any problems with it but by the looks of this thread there must be issues with them!

blown86lx
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
STIHL. You will pay a little more now but well worth it. Plus you can get different attachments for it also. I got mine from my dad when he bought a new one its probably 6 or 7 years old. I just replace the spark plug every spring clean the air filter and have at it. Another upside is they are not that heavy.

93hulk
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a Echo split boom. I do use Stihls at work I totally prefer my Echo. I like the ease of interchangeable attachments for the Echo. Plus the Echos have a better warranty. Pay 300-350 for a weed eater that will last you most of your life. Stihls are great don't get me wrong but we do have problems with them from time to time. Echo 5 yr warranty, Stihl 2yr.

motox159
06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I bought a POS craftsman weedeater 2 years ago at a yard sale for $5...haven't had any problems out of it!

Dirtyd0g
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
The bad part about buying a good one is that unless you are good with small engines you need someone to clean the carb out in the spring after it sits all winter. Usually you can get by with taking the fuel bowl off and cleanign it out but if it gets worse than that it makes a good weedeater too much trouble.
Alan

Centrifuge
06-03-2011, 11:20 PM
i have had an echo for 5 years, bought at HD or lowes (cant remember) starts every time, never even changed the spark plug. the only thing i have done is add gas/oil mix and use sta-bil in the winter

skeptiq
06-04-2011, 12:37 AM
I have a craftsman and dig it. This is my second year with it and haven't had any issues. It also has the attachments feature. I got the one with the quick start which is a drill bit adapter that let's you start it with a drill. Only reason I got this one ia the old one which was six years old broke the pull cord and I was too lazy to have it fixed. Funny thing is I haven't needed the drill after because it starts on the second pull every time and it has the easy pull start so it is effortless. Funny how different people have different opinions on different brands. It all depends on your own personal experience with each brand I think. I have used craftsman lawn and garden equipment for years without trouble. Hell I don't even do anything to my seven year old craftsman lawnmower and
I literally can't get the thing to die. Haven't changed plug or oil in 3 years and sat out all winter uncovered. Put gas in, prime it and started first pull this spring. Cant ask much more than that.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Galaxie
06-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I have a Cub Cadet that I have had for six years never had a problem one outta it . On another note 4 cycle is the only way to go .

inferno50
06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I bought a ryobi one from home depot when I was 12 and mowed 5 lawns a week untill 17. I still use this same trimmer at my house now and still don't have a single problem. And I'm 26 now.

Timido
06-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Its funny some people have said to stay away from Homelite. I bought a 2 stroke blower about 12 years ago for about $40 New on sale. I have been trying to kill it but it wont die. Starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and works great still.

Black92LX
06-04-2011, 09:50 PM
It all depends on what you are doing with it. With just over a 1/4 acre you are trying to keep a yard nice. While Stihl is by far the best it's probably going to be overkill. I have one for my farm and it's awesome. For the house I was given a Weedeater Gas Featherlight. I think they are like $65. The thing is easy to start and runs just fine for trimming grass.