Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Need Daily Driver! Ideas? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Daily Driver! Ideas?

Convertible Kid
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
My brother is looking to retire his '02 Ram 1500 from being his daily driver due to maintence and gas. He will be buying something new to get maunfacturers warranty.

Criteria:
- AWD or 2WD Traction Control
- 35 Avg. MPG
- Start around 20K without extras.

Any ideas of some good new cars that would make a good daily driver that fit this criteria? If you don't have any good ideas but know something to stay the hell away from that would be appriciated to.

Tonight we looked at the Honda CR-Z (fun test drive!) and the Nissan Juke which both seem very promising.

Thanks for your inputs!

Timido
06-01-2011, 07:06 AM
I drove a new focus the other day hard to beat that as a Fine car that gets 40mpg. I drive a 06 civic I have not had a problem one with that one and it gets 35mpg plus every day

05yellowgt
06-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a Focus is right up your alley. Haven't test driven one yet but from the reviews they seem to be great cars. Go see Beefcake down at Beechmont and I'm sure he'll be able to hook your brother up.

mad max
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I would stay away from any kinda of volkswagon. We tow alot of them with electrical problems and from the few forums im on they seem to have alot of electrical problems.

beefcake
06-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I would stay away from any kinda of volkswagon. We tow alot of them with electrical problems and from the few forums im on they seem to have alot of electrical problems.

fiesta or focus are really nice.

fiesta won't have much back seat room. Both get close to 40mpg.

lemme know if you wanna drive something

beef
513-478-1965

04 Venom
06-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I rented a 2012 Focus a couple of weeks ago when I was in Florida. I was very impressed with the roominess (huge trunk), performance and gas mileage. I'd buy one today, but for the fact that my 11 year old Focus still works like a charm and I can't justify getting rid of it

Convertible Kid
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
For some reason my brother doesn't want a focus or fiesta, not because he doesnt like Ford but the models just aren't for him I guess. However he will most likely be getting the F-100 when/if it ever comes out (you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you Beefcake?).

Looks like fiesta and focus are out, any other suggestions/comments?

Ranger50
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Miata? ;)

That is always the answer on the GRM boards. :)

bestracing
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
From the other side:

Cruze eco - 43mpg hwy, These start at (MSRP) 18,425
Std Cruze - 36mpg hwy, These start at (MSRP) 16,525 and a LTZ/RS option is around (23,245). (LTZ is top option package and RS is apperance package)
Aveo & Aveo 5 - 35mpg hwy

furiouslyfaster
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
My wife has a 2011 mazda 3 and we love it. Plus they are fun to drive and in my mind kinda like a focus. Pretty much the same engine that is in my brothers 06 focus. Only his focus motor is a 2.3 duratec and we got a 2.5 in the mazda 3. You can get a 2.3L or a 2.5L both are great little motors.

marauder
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Suzuki Aerio (AWD), should be getting really cheap now. Not the best looking, but AWD and good gas mileage. (They call it something different now, but same idea).

Just checked, they call it the SX4 now. http://suzukiauto.com/

sean
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
crz is a cool looking little car and the miata is a blast as well. I was behind a kia coupe yesterday. It looked cool but it was spelled koup that just bugged me but it was a cool looking car. I am sure scion has a few cars that would work too.

Katmandu
06-23-2011, 01:25 AM
I would stay away from any kinda of volkswagon. We tow alot of them with electrical problems and from the few forums im on they seem to have alot of electrical problems.I swear about 20% of all the VWs I see all have at least (1) brake light out. Seriously. I've noticed this trend on VWs for many, many years.

Weird problem.

inferno50
06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I swear about 20% of all the VWs I see all have at least (1) brake light out. Seriously. I've noticed this trend on VWs for many, many years.

Weird problem.too funny I'm trying to fix brakelights on an 01 jetta at the shop today. Junk ass cars.

Katmandu
06-25-2011, 09:03 AM
too funny I'm trying to fix brakelights on an 01 jetta at the shop today. Junk ass cars.See that! :cool2:

Start taking notice of all the VWs driving around with at least (1) taillight out.

Gstang117
06-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey Beefcake, you gotten to try out those Ecoboost engines yet?

blown86lx
06-26-2011, 12:28 AM
A guy I work with just got a 2005 jetta TDI diesel. And he swears it gets 44 to 47 mpg. He does almost all freeway to work but still. Its a really nice car and has plenty of room. I think when we have the baby I am going to start looking for one.

Katmandu
06-26-2011, 01:39 AM
A guy I work with just got a 2005 jetta TDI diesel. And he swears it gets 44 to 47 mpg. He does almost all freeway to work but still. Its a really nice car and has plenty of room. I think when we have the baby I am going to start looking for one.Mid 40s is what TDI's normal get (on the highway of course).

I've owned (3) Diesel Rabbits and the consistently would obtain low 40s MPG Highway. I did also used to own a couple Geo Metros with the tiny 1.0L (3) cyclinder engines. They too would obtain mid-40s MPG Highway (when driven "normally" and not in hyper-mile mode).

Metros will obtain (50+) MPG Highway. No bullshit! I ran several tanks thru and did the "hyper-miling" style driving. I obtained (54 MPG) on one tank and low-50s MPGs on several others. This is with driving (60) MPH and being extremely conservative with the shifting and gas pedal.

Expect to pay Premium money when looking for any of the above. Metros and Rabbits are extremely prone to rust in structeral areas. That's why I don't own any now.