PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rod end tool?

Stangman
05-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I had a small 4 wheeling mishap with the ranger, and need to replace the inner tie rod end on it. I always thought there was some sort of special tool to replace them, so I googled it, and it appears there are two flat spots on the end of it that the "special" tool goes, and it looks like you could just us a larger adjustable wrench to get at it and break it loose...

Anyone else used an adjustable wrench to remove them?

If not, does anyone have the tool I can borrow.

Trying to get this thing back on the road before monday.

Thanks

Jesse

draggin50
05-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Thats what I used. Worked fine.

Stangman
05-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Did you have to find an overly large adjustable wrench? I'm not sure if the ones I have in the garage will fit.

Mista Bone
05-22-2011, 01:18 AM
How big of a wrench you need???

The problem is getting the wrench onto the flats while clearing everything else under he truck/car.

Stangman
05-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Well, problem is, I dont have a NEW inner tie rod end in my hand to test fit my adjustable wrench. Guess I could buy one that way I always have it, lol

I checked on the clearance, once I take the boot from the rack, I should have plenty of clearance.

Now I just need to find a sway bar mount, my lost bushing, and a sway bar end link, lol

by the way, BFG all terrains SUCK in the mud.

Dirtyd0g
05-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Give me a call when you get a chance I can help.
Alan

Black Horse
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
You can borrow/rent the inner tie rod tool from your local Advanced Auto...not sure if Autozone has them.

Stangman
05-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, got it all replaced today, sorry Alan, I didn't log on all day and see your message.

I rented the tool from Advance, and it didn't work! The very end of it wasn't deep enough. Luckily, just as Brian said he had done, an adjustable wrench worked fine. My steering wheel is cocked, so my alignment is off somewhere, I may have more bad parts... not sure. I need to take it in to an alignment shop if I can get it done cheap

bobtsgt
05-23-2011, 08:53 AM
if you kept the same measurements from old to new using good referenced points you should be alright. unless the crooked wheel gets on your nerves.

Stangman
05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Well we had to cut the inner tie rod off so we could try the tool, so I referenced the distance by using the end of the outter tie rod end to put the new outter tie rod end nut back in the same place. I think I might have something else out of place... and yes, it does bother me, lol

It drives straight but I know the wheels aren't perfectly toed in correctly.