Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Aluminum Driveshaft? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Driveshaft?

furiouslyfaster
05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey guys got a few questions my car has a pretty decent vibration when I am coasting down the road, but when I push on the gas or give it any kind of throttle the vibration goes away. I was told it is most likely the Universal joints which brings me to one of my questions. Which is easier putting in new universal joints, or just buying an aluminum driveshaft. I read on another forum said that some kind of press is needed to install U-joints, so I was curious to see if it would just be smarter to have a local garage put them on (if so about how much do you think it would cost) or just me buy and install an aluminum driveshaft.

Question #2

My clutch pedal also has a little rattle to it like it shakes or chatters when my foot isn't on it but and i have read that it can be the throwout bearing or the bearing retainer or both. Any thoughts and does anybody know about how much it is for a shop to install a new throwout bearing and bearing retainer. I know I just asked a lot but I have been thinking about it lately and just now decided to ask you guys. Thanks for the help.

tdm309
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Well as for the driveshaft. You have a few options. You can take the driveshaft out yourself and take it to a driveline place and have them put new U joints in which is probably going to cost you around a 100 for good joints or take it to a shop and let them take it out and do it which is probably going to be around 150 or so. A new Aluminum driveshaft last time I checked was around 350-400 I think. As far as the rattle goes could be the bearing, could be that you just need to adjust your clutch cable either way I am sure one of the gusy will chime in on telling you how much to put a new bearing in if that is whats wrong

1992MustangDW
05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
could be lot of things really. your input shaft bearing could be bad or throw out bearing.
if the drive shaft is out of the car i would charge 20 bucks to put a new one in you supply the part. you can pm me about the throw out bearing. My friend austyn has a good drive shaft with good joints in it also.

furiouslyfaster
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Well an aluminum driveshaft from latemodelrestoration.com is 264.99 plus like 15 bucks shipping and if i have to pay at least 100 bucks to get new u-joints put on i figure i will go ahead and just put an aluminum driveshaft in cause I could probably handle that myself. I bought this car used and it is rough around the edges and I am just trying to get it to drive normal at least lol. I might hold out on the checking into the rattling clutch or try and adjust it. I am planning on putting a rebuilt engine in it in the near future and the tranny is gonna need rebuilt anyways cause 2nd and 3rd gear grind sometimes. Anymore info?

Stangman
05-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I agree with John. U joints are a breeze. Ive done them in all my cars. I have the stock driveshaft out of my car if you would like to borrow it as a test. I replaced the u joints in it a few years ago with the neapco brute force joints. Also, pm me about the trans. I got just the guy for you. And he's reeeeally close.

furiouslyfaster
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jesse I PM'd u