Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Alternate energy providers to Duke Energy? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alternate energy providers to Duke Energy?

5.0calypso93lx
03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Looking to get schooled on anyone who is using / has used / or knows about alternate energy providers for gas and electric.

I currently have Duke Energy. My last bill was $124 and the bill says the reading was from Feb 14th - Mar 15th. It's a 1812 sq ft house with full basement and I actually also have a vent running out into the garage as the previous owners converted the garage into a kids playroom.

When I first moved in, I got a few notices in the mail with offers from other providers that said they could save me $$ by charging me less per kwh. I didn't think anything of it and figured they just get you somewhere else.

I've since hear of several people including my gf's parents who are using alternate providers and seem to be saving a decent chunk of change.

Who are all you guys using and is there really that much to save by switching to an alternate provider? Any catches?

djom1cincy
03-29-2011, 11:58 AM
124 dollars isn't bad for the month. You use gas to heat or electric?

Rick93coupe
03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
My place is all electric and my last bill was $452.00, I'd trade the left nut for a bill like that!

beefcake
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
i looked into this, and it looks good up front, but my bill, in the higher months, would probably actually be more.

i did the math. not worth it, or the headache. especially if something goes down. i guarantee you, the houses that aren't serviced by duke would be the last ones to get fixed, lol

5.0calypso93lx
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
124 dollars isn't bad for the month. You use gas to heat or electric?

99% sure I have gas heat. My gas bill was $77.22 and my electric was $46.75.

My place is all electric and my last bill was $452.00, I'd trade the left nut for a bill like that!

Yikes!! How big of a place? My first bill before this one was $164 but that's when it was like below 10 degrees. I'm good about making sure lights are off when not in use, I turn the t-stat off when the weather gets bearable, I have CFL's in every socket and all the appliances are two months old so I know that helps.

i looked into this, and it looks good up front, but my bill, in the higher months, would probably actually be more.

i did the math. not worth it, or the headache. especially if something goes down. i guarantee you, the houses that aren't serviced by duke would be the last ones to get fixed, lol

That's what I thought too, until my gf's parents said they save about $40 a month on their bill. Their bill is more similar to Rick's, but still.

I think the service actually remains the same since you are still using Duke Energy services, you just pay for it via a 3rd party or contractor. I don't know if it has to do with Duke being required to offer options since they would be considered a monopoly or?

beefcake
03-29-2011, 01:03 PM
99% sure I have gas heat. My gas bill was $77.22 and my electric was $46.75.

Yikes!! How big of a place? My first bill before this one was $164 but that's when it was like below 10 degrees. I'm good about making sure lights are off when not in use, I turn the t-stat off when the weather gets bearable, I have CFL's in every socket and all the appliances are two months old so I know that helps.

That's what I thought too, until my gf's parents said they save about $40 a month on their bill. Their bill is more similar to Rick's, but still.

I think the service actually remains the same since you are still using Duke Energy services, you just pay for it via a 3rd party or contractor. I don't know if it has to do with Duke being required to offer options since they would be considered a monopoly or?

trust me, i know lots of duke people. you will be at the bottom of the food chain, they know, lol

whats supposed to happen and what does is 2 different things lol

fastone
03-29-2011, 02:36 PM
From what I understand, the alternate energy providers are like direct tv and the others. Lure you in with cheap rates and make you agree to two years. First year is cheaper, second year, bend over they will make their money back and then some. If you try to leave, you also pay a high amount to cancel the contract. Not really worth it I think.

ffmueller81
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
There are lots out there to choose from...

I have Duke energy Retail... which is different from Duke energy... they give me a 15% discount no matter what the rate.

My dad has dominion. they locked him in at .5999 per/kwh rate when duke is .9999 per/kwh.

either way still saves money off the bill with the same service...

5.0calypso93lx
03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
There are lots out there to choose from...

I have Duke energy Retail... which is different from Duke energy... they give me a 15% discount no matter what the rate.

My dad has dominion. they locked him in at .5999 per/kwh rate when duke is .9999 per/kwh.

either way still saves money off the bill with the same service...

How long have you been with Duke Retail? Are they open to the public or do you have to know someone? Have a contact number?

ffmueller81
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
been with them since november last year... actually took till January to take effect though...

everything is the exact same except where it shows your energy usage per kilowatt hour it says "energy retail" and shows a discount.

I just went on their website and signed up...

http://retail.duke-energy.com/
go to the FAQ's page for info...

MystichromeVert
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
As a Duke employee, I highly recommend Duke Energy Retail. :)

However, in the interest of full disclosure, here are some links you should check out to get a better idea of how it all works, what you need to do if you want to switch, and other suppliers.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/consumer-information/consumer-topics/choosing-an-electric-supplier/

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apples-to-apples/electric-apples-to-apples-chart/

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apples-to-apples/duke-energy-ohio-apples-to-apples-chart/

ffmueller81
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
^^^ the second link is the one I was looking for to show the comparisons.... I knew I had seen it somewhere.... thanks for posting.. :)