Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Multi tools [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multi tools

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Im sure many of you carry som kind of multi tool..i just went through a long search/test to pick out a new one to carry. Ive owned all the big name tools..mostly Leatherman and Gerber. Ive never had a Leatherman i didnt like, but the Gerbers all sucked. They use soft steel and the bits wear or break if used hard. My last Leatherman was a Wave Ti with a 154cm blade and i really liked it but lost it. This time around i took some advice and got something different..the SOG Powerlock. I narrowed it down to the Leatherman Supertool 300 and the Powerlock, and in the end the Leatherman lacked scissors which i use a lot when fishing and it even though it's justified by the size tools it has, it was just too bulky and heavy to carry everyday.

The Powerlock has compound pliers which double the force you apply when squeezing them shut which is a nice refinement...though it does have a couple drawbacks. One is that you have to open the jaws further to grab things, and the arms dont open independant of each other like on a Leatherman..but those are things i can live with for how smooth and easy it opens and the extra clamping power. It opens like a butterfly knife one handed.

Another cool feature is you can replace tools if they get damaged or even if you just want another tool swapped out. Overall its a really stout tool that gives a confident feel in hand.

93snake
03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice write up!

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
They also make one specifically for the military. Leatherman make one called the M.U.T. which has tools for cleaning and maintaining military rifles...i thought it was awesome but i didn't have any use for the tools it has.

Here's the SOG if anyone wants to check it out.
http://sogknives.com/store/powerlocks.html

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
(i still don't understand why we're not allowed to edit our posts in this section...someone needs to fix that)

I forgot to add, the Powerlock also has a 1/4 inch drive bit, which is a really cool addition to a multi tool, so you can use sockets with it. Also all the tools lock in place which is pretty much mandatory on any good multi tool these days.

Here's a real simple review showing all the tools it has. You really need to handle it to get a feel for how the compound pliers work...they're pretty sweet. I did some test cuts with another multi tool cutting heavy gauge wire and it's a night and day difference in how much easier they cut vs. a standard wire cutter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvETnS7wb7s